Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

42 minutes ago, BretWheatley said:

Pretty close, but I’m up a few hundred feet near Hendersonville and I’m near if not right at 18 inches. 

The next time I do this I need to get an airbnb with some elevation. I was at the red roof inn off the interstate and ended up with maybe 12” on grass, a lot of which was sleet. Saturday afternoon while nothing was sticking in town I drove up to a GPS indicated 2700’ and the ground/roads were white. 

• Like 2

Just now, chapelhillwx said:

The next time I do this I need to get an airbnb with some elevation. I was at the red roof inn off the interstate and ended up with maybe 12” on grass, a lot of which was sleet. Saturday afternoon while nothing was sticking in town I drove up to a GPS indicated 2700’ and the ground/roads were white. 

Was surprised by just how much difference a few hundred feet made. Started as snow here when at the bottom of the hill was sleet. 

Are their any youth hostels open this time of year y'alls way? I can't bear another Sleet Fest imby. I'm on A budget. I would love to experience a storm like this one somewhere near or in the Black Mountains? (Is Pitching a tent on the Mt.Mitchell obs deck legal?) Haha

Thx for any ideas !!

12 minutes ago, davenc said:

Are their any youth hostels open this time of year y'alls way? I can't bear another Sleet Fest imby. I'm on A budget. I would love to experience a storm like this one somewhere near or in the Black Mountains? (Is Pitching a tent on the Mt.Mitchell obs deck legal?) Haha

Thx for any ideas !!

Nothing like that around here that I can think of. You just have to get a cheap hotel or something. 

I apparently threw out my back last night pushing a car, people need to learn how to drive, I pushed close to 15 cars yesterday lol. What an amazing event overall. Got to have a lot of fun tracking it, actually might have enjoyed tracking it more than the event itself. I'm really excited to see what the rest of winter holds. But let's thaw out first.

• Like 3

I apparently threw out my back last night pushing a car, people need to learn how to drive, I pushed close to 15 cars yesterday lol. What an amazing event overall. Got to have a lot of fun tracking it, actually might have enjoyed tracking it more than the event itself. I'm really excited to see what the rest of winter holds. But let's thaw out first.

Agree completely with the tracking. The Christmas 2010 storm hooked me bad!

On 12/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, MikeGold said:

Been awhile but can't help but check in from Michigan to say congrats on the pending big storm! :)  I am jealous.  Wow-for sure some of the highest elevations are going to get nailed.  3 feet at Mt. Mitchell with hurricane force winds? Hmmm.  Might happen. We shall see.  Looking forward to some great pics from you guys!  

Mt. Mitchell picked up 34".   :)  Very pleased how this event turned out.  So long..till the next big storm!

• Like 2

Mt. Mitchell picked up 34".     Very pleased how this event turned out.  So long..till the next big storm!

Hey Mike, quick question where did you get the info on Mitchell? Reason being is GSP did a contest on Twitter for the storm for where the most snow would fall. I predicted 33” on Mitchell. It was way above anyone else. I also threw in 45mph wind at some point during the storm for extra credit. Need to rag them a little bit if this is accurate.

52 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

Hey Mike, quick question where did you get the info on Mitchell? Reason being is GSP did a contest on Twitter for the storm for where the most snow would fall. I predicted 33” on Mitchell. It was way above anyone else. I also threw in 45mph wind at some point during the storm for extra credit. Need to rag them a little bit if this is accurate.

Don,

You definitely deserve a prize! :)  The NWS Facebook page has a map showing the 34" inch total there. I noted that there was 30" snow depth recorded on the ground this morning at Mt Mitchell in the daily climate report.  FYI...if you look in the comments section, you will see some comments I made on how they are depicting snowfall amounts in the Plott Balsams.  Let us just say I think they can do better...they didn't like that but I feel they did carefully consider what I had to say and perhaps future maps will be more accurate because of it? :) (It should be noted that climate data isn't actually from the top of Mt. Mitchell but from the ranger station about 400 feet lower down the mountain.  Winds are always stronger at the top and more snowfall but nobody is crazy enough to try to measure it up there! :) )  

• Like 2