• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

Enjoy folks! Not trying to jump the gun but I’m going to declare the FV3 the new king lol.

I agree but the 10:1 totals were a bit high down here. That 700 mb layer showed up hard around 1:30am. But, without that, I would have high the high end of GSP forecasted total at 12”.
Going to say 5.5” and a win in my book!!

51 minutes ago, eolian said:

I am close to the Asheville mall and there's about 4" max because at some point during the night it was freezing rain here. My heat pump had iced over so much I had to free the fan blade & defrost the coils. Amazingly the power has only flickered twice.

Amazing. I have a little over 12 now. To show I am someone who loves snow. I shoveled my driveway, and by the time I was done, it was covered in another inch of snow. I loved it !!!This is definitely one of my favorite snows. Some pictures to show I am not exaggerating. It is crazy that the mall is that much different.

Snow 1.jpg

Snow 2.jpg

Snow 3.jpg

Snow 4.jpg

• Like 4

Crazy the snowfall  variation in Buncombe.  Ncjoaquin, where are you located? Getting close to 8 inches South of downtown. Had a lot of sleet mix in so the snow pack is dense and crunchy. Going to be a glacier when it refreezes!

Anyone excited for part 2 later tonight? HRRR and 3k Nam showing WNC filling back in pretty nicely. Think some of us could squeeze in a few inches if all goes well. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Crazy the snowfall  variation in Buncombe.  Ncjoaquin, where are you located? Getting close to 8 inches South of downtown. Had a lot of sleet mix in so the snow pack is dense and crunchy. Going to be a glacier when it refreezes!

Anyone excited for part 2 later tonight? HRRR and 3k Nam showing WNC filling back in pretty nicely. Think some of us could squeeze in a few inches if all goes well. 

I am in West Asheville. I have seen similar estimates around, so I don't think I am completely on an island.       I am hoping part 2 comes around. That would be awesome.

5 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

I am in West Asheville. I have seen similar estimates around, so I don't think I am completely on an island.       I am hoping part 2 comes around. That would be awesome.

I am also in West Asheville (actually just on the north side of Patton) and I haven't measured but I am guessing I got around 10 inches. I did see pictures from downtown that looked closer to 5-6, but it was just one picture. Lost power around 3 am or so, but back on this morning. Glad we ended up with a nice storm. I imagine we would have a few more inches if we didn't have that run of rain/sleet.

14 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Wow. I just measured over 12 here and still snowing. Looks like only another 30 minutes or so before it stops.

Is it suppose to fill back in later?

I think so.  And I'm fine with less since I may get some extra from nwf behind it.  Even if I don't I am perfectly content!

And the wind is kicking up now, might be an interesting day.

Got about 10" before sleet and freezing rain. Lost power for about 10 hours, and tons of limbs breaking from the weight of the heavy snow that's been glazed with IP and ZR. It's beautiful outside!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

I am also in West Asheville (actually just on the north side of Patton) and I haven't measured but I am guessing I got around 10 inches. I did see pictures from downtown that looked closer to 5-6, but it was just one picture. Lost power around 3 am or so, but back on this morning. Glad we ended up with a nice storm. I imagine we would have a few more inches if we didn't have that run of rain/sleet.

I am glad you posted. I couldn't believe I was the only one in Buncombe on this board with double digits. We amazingly never lost power. I kept seeing the blue flashes and it flickered but stayed on.

• Like 2