Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

Just now, BretWheatley said:

I'd gladly take that and run... It's December 6th! 

Yes but the way these models have been spitting out ridiculous amounts for days on end with ensemble means agreeing to a ridiculous extent.. it is disappointing if we get a typical storm instead of a blockbuster.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

This is starting to look like your typical 4-6 or 6-8 inch storm with some sleet and ice on top. Nothing once in a generational.. Could be wrong but that seems to be the trend today

And very little this way. Already canceled our trip to dollywood and now in hope we can get our last two basketball games in Saturday morning and on Monday. 

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

Yes but the way these models have been spitting out ridiculous amounts for days on end with ensemble means agreeing to a ridiculous extent.. it is disappointing if we get a typical storm instead of a blockbuster.. 

Oh, agreed, but I'd still take it. I'm not really going ALL IN until tomorrow around 2PM... lol 

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I'll agree if the QPF amounts continue to trend lower however one thing HT has stressed time and time again is not to hug snow totals on the models but rather look at QPF. If we're still dealing with 2-3" of moisture with any amount of CAD signature, after you factor in dynamic cooling, this is going to be a doozy. We also must factor in climo as well.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

I'll agree if the QPF amounts continue to trend lower however one thing HT has stressed time and time again is not to hug snow totals on the models but rather look at QPF. If we're still dealing with 2-3" of moisture with any amount of CAD signature, after you factor in dynamic cooling, this is going to be a doozy. We also must factor in climo as well.

Concur.  and FV3 GFS (which by the way goes operational in January 2019...so why not use it....) has a MUCH better QPF response accordingly.  I'm not dismissing this could be a 4-6" event, but it sure does seem like more is in the offing.  We wait for 12Z Euro to confirm.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Concur.  and FV3 GFS (which by the way goes operational in January 2019...so why not use it....) has a MUCH better QPF response accordingly.  I'm not dismissing this could be a 4-6" event, but it sure does seem like more is in the offing.  We wait for 12Z Euro to confirm.

Look how JUICY!!!!

[âIMG]

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

HT, quick question regarding the FV3. I know it's going to be operational in a few weeks and we'd might as well use it but how far do you trust it?

Really no reason not to trust it at the moment.  It's been very consistent with this system and has better resolution than the current GFS.  And yes, will go operational in January.  

• Like 1