Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

12 hours ago, jburns said:

I'm hearing reports of a Christmas tree shortage this year. They say it is a result of the 2008 recession when fewer trees were planted by tree farmers. Trees planted around then are the ones being harvested this year. Some cut your own farms are reportedly not even opening this year. Have any of you mountain folk heard anything about this?

Still plenty of trees around here. Jackson county (the next county over) is a huge producer.  We went and cut ours down yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

In NC it's long before that. 7am at the latest but I'd wager more like 4-5.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The latest NAM has come in a touch colder and for the foothill locations as this is where the cold air will hold the longest at even 12Z and 15Z its 33 degrees after being 30 for about 6 hours. 

1 minute ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

The 12Z NAM and 3k NAM is a major ice storm for the foothills. Wow. 

Didn’t they slightly overdo the last ice storm y’all had? They were showing high amounts then, I believe ? But with temps probably a few degrees lower than models are showing, probably a little dicey into tomorrow morning!

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Didn’t they slightly overdo the last ice storm y’all had? They were showing high amounts then, I believe ? But with temps probably a few degrees lower than models are showing, probably a little dicey into tomorrow morning!

Yes the NAM did over do the ice accum, however, there appears to be slightly more cold air to work with for a few hours. I’m in Florida and it’s supposed to be close to 75 today I’m just worried about my flight back into Asheville tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Depended on location. Eastern ashe got hit REALLY hard, while in Boone it wasnt as bad.

I'm up here for the weekend with you mountain peeps staying in Newland at a rental.  Just drove through Banner Elk and the mountains all around Grandfather are covered in frozen fog.  Very pretty day, but a precursor of things to come tonight.  Definitely looking for a decent 6-8 hour event overnight.  Leftover food, warm fire and a comfy recliner is all I need to make this memorable.  

28° and heavy fog here on 221 now.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, WeatherHawk said:

Frozen Fog today up here in Todd...very pretty...and very cold here ATM at 28...it's that snowy metallic-scent of crisp cold air  that just hugs you when you walk outside, just feels like snow.

It’s been like that all day here. So nice to see. Such a pretty scene along 421 going into Boone. I don’t think my location got above freezing all day. Just freezing rain here now though. Snow would be nice!

1 minute ago, Boonelight said:

It’s been like that all day here. So nice to see. Such a pretty scene along 421 going into Boone. I don’t think my location got above freezing all day. Just freezing rain here now though. Snow would be nice!

Yeah this ice stuff we’ve had twice already is for the birds. Snow or 70 degrees.