Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

33 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

fv3p_T2m_us_35.png

This is close to something big. SLP tucked just off the coast and surface temps at 34 or 35 for most of us.

Yep NChailstorm has been following it for 2 days on the FV3. Not to mention several big time forecasters sniffing out a pattern that should be ripe late next week for a box office smash hit for the wx nerd world we all live in.  The pattern, teleconnections are screaming something big should evolve and now the new and soon to be gfs, is lending credence. Well have to see how this evolves, but chances are high a eastern seaboard headline wx story should take place last week of the month .

Yep NChailstorm has been following it for 2 days on the FV3. Not to mention several big time forecasters sniffing out a pattern that should be ripe late next week for a box office smash hit for the wx nerd world we all live in.  The pattern, teleconnections are screaming something big should evolve and now the new and soon to be gfs, is lending credence. Well have to see how this evolves, but chances are high a eastern seaboard headline wx story should take place last week of the month .

Yep, models throwing lots of hints around. -NAO would really help and it looks like it’s going to happen. Honestly for a late October setup.. this doesn’t look half bad at all.

Is there any sign of a foliage season in the NC mountains or is it a complete dud? The reports I have seen sound pretty dismal.
I was up on grandfather yesterday and it's certainly trying to look nice. Most NW facing slopes are bare and everything above 5kft for the most part is probably gonna be a dud. Below that there's still some hope.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eyewall said:

Is there any sign of a foliage season in the NC mountains or is it a complete dud? The reports I have seen sound pretty dismal.

Here around Wolf above 5000' is abysmal.  But the trees are really starting to turn above 3500' to 5000'.  A lot of trees are already bare but the majority of trees still have foliage and  I'd say about 50-60% of those are predominantly green but changing fast this week.  I'll grab some pics first thing in the morning he morning for you if you want. 

2 hours ago, jburns said:

Be careful what you wish for. Freezing conditions destroy the leaf's ability to manufacture the red and purple pigments. 

Yeah true. It's like going from summer to Fall overnight.  Usually the process is a but slower but I am very surprised at just how green everything is down here. It's a double edged sword.

I went up to the mountains on Friday and it was abysmal in most spots. There were pockets of color, but a lot of trees are just browning out. Many had quite a bit of leaf drop as already noted. Definitely a lot of disappointed tourists I am sure. Here are a few shots:
44390117_10105732715479139_5116615632309

44370439_10105732715803489_3546213922027

44410808_10105732716033029_4545269189622

• Like 2