• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

Anyone have photos of wooly worms or persimmon seeds from this year? How about a count on how many morning of fog you had at your house in August, lol. I am writing a few articles on my website Ashevillewx.com detailing the various winter folklore that mountain people use. I would love to get a few quotes from you all regarding what your parents/grandparents used to say, and what you hear folks speaking of now. Thanks in advance for any help!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hvward said:

Anyone have photos of wooly worms or persimmon seeds from this year? How about a count on how many morning of fog you had at your house in August, lol. I am writing a few articles on my website Ashevillewx.com detailing the various winter folklore that mountain people use. I would love to get a few quotes from you all regarding what your parents/grandparents used to say, and what you hear folks speaking of now. Thanks in advance for any help!

Morning fog in August was always a big one, as well as the mast crop and size of the shells on the acorns. Old timers used to believe that if the shell on the acorns extended lower on the nut itself then it would be a harsh winter. 

My granddad personally believed that animals could tell us more about pending weather than anything else. He believed animals had a sixth sense developed specifically for the elements. How could they survive without it? If birds, squirrels and rodents were working harder than normal in the fall, winter was going to be cold. If their coats in October were thick and bushy, you can bet it was going to be cold. Ironically, I was hunting the other day and saw plenty of deer losing their summer coat despite how hot it has been. Rarely have I seen that in this weather. I wonder if grandaddy's folklore will ring true this year. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hvward said:

Our deer have had their winter coats for about three weeks now in and around Wolf.  Looking through my photos, it was just about this time last year that their coats started changing.  They also seem to be thicker than last year too, but with all the lush vegetation from the rains that's not a surprise.  And we have wooly worms everywhere...but we did last year too, so I don't know what to make of that.  

I'll send you a couple pics on FB messenger.  Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Yep Tim GFS showing some fantasy snow next week for higher elevations. Honestly that wouldn’t take much on the run to producing some overrunning flakes even in the valleys of it were to verify. Euro is nowhere near as cold. Right now though I am really interested in this Hurricane though.. upper level trough will allow Michael to stay strong for much longer and this thing could slam into the mountains. Fun times here to come.

28ujvp5.jpg

• Like 2

Nice picture! Are the reds gone, tardy, or never? Strange late warmth this year.
From what I've been on grandfather they're late. Starting to see some yellows but I'm afraid the big wind behind Michael is going to do some damage at the higher elevations along the Parkway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Interesting tidbit from the 11:30 GSP discussion update: 

Another
note is that new HRRR guidance (HRRE specifically) is quite
concerning across the mountains tonight. Probably a little too high
(4-8"!) but is concerning enough to mention as a possibility.

With this thing being strong on the NW side, it will be very interesting to see what we get tonight and tomorrow, especially for those of you who already have a few inches of upslope rain.