• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

On 12/5/2018 at 4:50 PM, slow poke said:

Grand Marais is a great area, if I was looking for a area in the UP to have a place it would be at the top of my list also. 

That seems so weird. To me that area is just a flat area you drive past as fast as possible. To me it just has no real stand out appeal. Honestly, if you like the UP...try out the western part. We got hills that pretend to be mountains (but at least there's something on the horizon), we have a rockier coast line, more snow, deeper cold, a better economy (I know a couple of people from Seney, Newberry and north in that area - it's just a depressing place, all the kids are leaving, you have to drive all the way to Marquette or Sault Ste Marie if you want to shop, there's a lot of drugs, etc.)...on and on. Every positive it has is upstaged just slightly in the west...and the west is dirt cheap as well because they built all these houses in the mining boom and now that the population is more than cut in half from its peak...real estate is available.

The Porcupines and Hurons are awesome, they remind me a lot of the Allagash in Maine, Houghton/Hancock is a very nice attempt at pretending to be a city (at least it's active at all times and you don't have 40% of the buildings collapsing, lol), and the Keweenaw itself is awesome...I'm from Maine and in many ways the Keweenaw reminds me of Acadia National Park without the billionaire mansions blocking the views of the water. In the middle of summer you can very easily find an empty little beach for yourself.

Grand Marais, while definitely pretty, just does not stick out to me as anything special within the larger context of the entire UP. I'm curious why you two love it so much.

1 hour ago, (((Will))) said:

That seems so weird. To me that area is just a flat area you drive past as fast as possible. To me it just has no real stand out appeal. Honestly, if you like the UP...try out the western part. We got hills that pretend to be mountains (but at least there's something on the horizon), we have a rockier coast line, more snow, deeper cold, a better economy (I know a couple of people from Seney, Newberry and north in that area - it's just a depressing place, all the kids are leaving, you have to drive all the way to Marquette or Sault Ste Marie if you want to shop, there's a lot of drugs, etc.)...on and on. Every positive it has is upstaged just slightly in the west...and the west is dirt cheap as well because they built all these houses in the mining boom and now that the population is more than cut in half from its peak...real estate is available.

The Porcupines and Hurons are awesome, they remind me a lot of the Allagash in Maine, Houghton/Hancock is a very nice attempt at pretending to be a city (at least it's active at all times and you don't have 40% of the buildings collapsing, lol), and the Keweenaw itself is awesome...I'm from Maine and in many ways the Keweenaw reminds me of Acadia National Park without the billionaire mansions blocking the views of the water. In the middle of summer you can very easily find an empty little beach for yourself.

Grand Marais, while definitely pretty, just does not stick out to me as anything special within the larger context of the entire UP. I'm curious why you two love it so much.

I totally understand why someone would choose to live in the Keweenaw over areas to the east in the UP for all the reasons you have listed. I've been going to the Keweenaw/western UP area since the early 90's snowmobiling, skiing, dirt biking, side x sides, seadooing, I've seen/explored a ton of that area. Beautiful no doubt. Was just up there for a couple days back in July on our way back from out west. We showed our son MI Tech to see what he thought of the campus. The problem is in the winter with all the snow you guys get and how beautiful it is that you get a lot of snowmobiles out that way from WI,MN,IA, and IL plus whatever down state MI people that want to make the 10 hour drive. It's great for your guys economy during the winter though. The eastern UP north of M28 gets great snow and keeps its plus they have miles of trails without all the sleds like the Keweenaw gets. The off trail riding is great also without all the rocks like the western UP has. I would never live in the UP, I don't need or want to have snow on the ground 6+ months a year, to each their own though and if thats what you like thats a good place to be.  I hate the bugs up there when the snow does melt also. When I say having a place up there it would be a 2nd home/cabin, something around 3 or so hours from the area that I plan on retiring to which is north west lower MI. As a cabin I wouldn't care to much about shopping and stuff like that and as far as it being flat in the eastern UP, that's true, no doubt but to me, pretty much everywhere between eastern MT/WY and the Appalachian Mts is flat. The hills in MI are pretty but I don't consider any of them mountains so the difference between the smaller rolling hills in the eastern UP and the bigger rocky hills in the western UP is minimal. Enjoy your winter up there Will, hopefully you'll have a great long and snowy snow season.

• Like 1

Grand Marais is definitely not flat :lmao: also not just a little beach that has no detail or interest. Seney and Newberry are pretty boring though, I will agree there.

19 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Grand Marais is definitely not flat :lmao: also not just a little beach that has no detail or interest. Seney and Newberry are pretty boring though, I will agree there.

Lol. Says the person from southern Michigan. By any other standard even the Keweenaw is flat.

But about Grand Marais - it really is flat. Just 10 miles south of there is what people call the 'Seney Stretch' - known as the most boring road in Michigan. The whole area is a flat, bug infested, malaria/dysentery ridden swamp. The forests there consist of trees and 10 inches of standing water for mosquito larvae. There's a reason 35% of the people who live there die from suicide - they get bored of driving around.

2 hours ago, slow poke said:

I totally understand why someone would choose to live in the Keweenaw over areas to the east in the UP for all the reasons you have listed. I've been going to the Keweenaw/western UP area since the early 90's snowmobiling, skiing, dirt biking, side x sides, seadooing, I've seen/explored a ton of that area. Beautiful no doubt. Was just up there for a couple days back in July on our way back from out west. We showed our son MI Tech to see what he thought of the campus. The problem is in the winter with all the snow you guys get and how beautiful it is that you get a lot of snowmobiles out that way from WI,MN,IA, and IL plus whatever down state MI people that want to make the 10 hour drive. It's great for your guys economy during the winter though. The eastern UP north of M28 gets great snow and keeps its plus they have miles of trails without all the sleds like the Keweenaw gets. The off trail riding is great also without all the rocks like the western UP has. I would never live in the UP, I don't need or want to have snow on the ground 6+ months a year, to each their own though and if thats what you like thats a good place to be.  I hate the bugs up there when the snow does melt also. When I say having a place up there it would be a 2nd home/cabin, something around 3 or so hours from the area that I plan on retiring to which is north west lower MI. As a cabin I wouldn't care to much about shopping and stuff like that and as far as it being flat in the eastern UP, that's true, no doubt but to me, pretty much everywhere between eastern MT/WY and the Appalachian Mts is flat. The hills in MI are pretty but I don't consider any of them mountains so the difference between the smaller rolling hills in the eastern UP and the bigger rocky hills in the western UP is minimal. Enjoy your winter up there Will, hopefully you'll have a great long and snowy snow season.

Ah, I figured it was something like Jonger and just wanting to be within reach of everything. I desperately want to explore the area Jonger always talks about up in Ontario near Wawa.

2 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

There's a reason 35% of the people who live there die from suicide - they get bored of driving around.

:lmao: Then Indiana's suicide rate should be much higher

30 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

:lmao: Then Indiana's suicide rate should be much higher

lol...

my daughter who graduates grad school from IWU this spring would concur 100%.   We make fun of her when she starts having one of her 'I can't stand this place' rants...

we actually call them her  'Marion Meltdowns'  :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Lol. Says the person from southern Michigan. By any other standard even the Keweenaw is flat.

But about Grand Marais - it really is flat. Just 10 miles south of there is what people call the 'Seney Stretch' - known as the most boring road in Michigan. The whole area is a flat, bug infested, malaria/dysentery ridden swamp. The forests there consist of trees and 10 inches of standing water for mosquito larvae. There's a reason 35% of the people who live there die from suicide - they get bored of driving around.

Ah, I figured it was something like Jonger and just wanting to be within reach of everything. I desperately want to explore the area Jonger always talks about up in Ontario near Wawa.

Quite the dystopian view of the UP. :lmao:

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

lol...

my daughter who graduates grad school from IWU this spring would concur 100%.   We make fun of her when she starts having one of her 'I can't stand this place' rants...

we actually call them her  'Marion Meltdowns'  :lol:

I spent 25 years working in Marion and living in Grant County. IWU is one of the very few redeeming qualities of that community. It's bad enough living in this area, let alone there.

• Sad 1

I happen to love the Seney swamps.  Most of the wolves I've seen up here have been while traveling that stretch, especially in the wee hours.  The entire shoreline of the UP is stunning so IDK how to choose there, either.  I do prefer the western half overall (mostly because of the ruggedness), but LOVE Munising to Paradise N of 28.  

The whole area is a remote northern wilderness and I love every minute of the 6 month winter, too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

The SE storm thread for this weekend has 4k posts lol. I'd say they be a little excited.:popcorn:

4800+ posts, and 352,000+ views so far, and the storm is still 24 hours out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

I happen to love the Seney swamps.  Most of the wolves I've seen up here have been while traveling that stretch, especially in the wee hours.  The entire shoreline of the UP is stunning so IDK how to choose there, either.  I do prefer the western half overall (mostly because of the ruggedness), but LOVE Munising to Paradise N of 28.  

The whole area is a remote northern wilderness and I love every minute of the 6 month winter, too.

Yeah if he thinks the UP is boring, he needs drive across Iowa or Nebraska. :lol:

One of the most quietest starts to December I can remember. And no immediate snow threats either. 

December snows have been hard to come by in recent years, minus the last two years, in my neck of the woods. 

3 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

I mean there are some pretty dystopian areas of the U.P. Have you seen Ironwood-Bessemer Area.

Ehhhh that is just Wisconsin light, they are all Packers fans over there anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

I don't; I said that I didn't know why you'd single that place out and not the Hurons and the Keweenaw. That's all.

I didn't :lol: I like all of the UP pretty much. That is why I have gone up there 3 years in a row now for vacation.

9 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Does this forum ever have that many posts for a single storm ?

no, It sucks here. We never get a good widespread storm anymore. I bet it was up there though for GHD 2011 and some in 2014 but I haven't seen one since joining a few years ago

10 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

no, It sucks here. We never get a good widespread storm anymore. I bet it was up there though for GHD 2011 and some in 2014 but I haven't seen one since joining a few years ago

So basically if you wanna see a good snowstorm, either move to the northeast, mid atlantic, or deep south. By the way, the deep south also had a major snowstorm in Early December last year with a foot of snow outside of Atlanta. Widespread 10-20 inch snows in NC with this storm. I bet IN and OH wont get a snowstorm of that magnitude outside of the Lake Effect snow areas this winter.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

We had close to 10,000 posts between all the threads for GHD 2011.  We've lost some bigger posters since then (or they don't post as much) but a big storm can still draw a crowd.

2 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Does this forum ever have that many posts for a single storm ?

It all depends. A lot of factors come into play. 1st of all this region gets lots of snow storms so it's not like a novelty thing. 2nd of all most storms will affect one part of the sub forum harder than the other. 3rd of all, some forms have more posters and others

2 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

So basically if you wanna see a good snowstorm, either move to the northeast, mid atlantic, or deep south. By the way, the deep south also had a major snowstorm in Early December last year with a foot of snow outside of Atlanta. Widespread 10-20 inch snows in NC with this storm. I bet IN and OH wont get a snowstorm of that magnitude outside of the Lake Effect snow areas this winter.

Lmao I hope you are joking. As I said in my above post different areas of the sub forum will get hit harder in most storms than other areas. It is rare to see a storm slam the entire subforum, but it is more common to see a storm affect the entire sub form but in different ways. And it's also silly to cherry pick an isolated spot in the deep South and compare that to the entire subforum. The comparisons you have been making of the midwest to the deep south have been so skewed and incorrect its laughable.

• Like 1

I like the slower threads here, to be honest. This place has some good posters with lots of good things to say. Whereas in some of those big threads that are flying at a mile per minute, lots of the people with good, constructive things to say get drowned out by people that seem like they're just posting for the sake of posting. I'd rather have quality over quantity. Not saying there aren't good posters over there(because there are) but it seems like they're the minority -- especially in bigger events.

• Like 1

Lets face it, the midwest has a reputation among outsiders as a boring part of the country. And then you come to this site and you see the New England and Mid Atlantic forums so active all the time and the Lakes/Ohio Valley is usually dead in comparison.  So maybe there is some truth to the reputation of the midwest being boring.