Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,389
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    crossbowftw3
    Newest Member
    crossbowftw3
    Joined
IWXwx

Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Explains my bit of sunshine this morning...

Tab3FileL.png?abde7c6ddcc045a0a323e9c32b04a874

We actually had snow flurries/ice crystals reach the ground from that this morning that I reported to NWS. The source appears to be a large steel mill in the area where the clearing originated. With the sun from the partial clearing reflecting off of the ice crystals, it gave off an eerie shimmering glow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The_Doctor said:

06z FV3 drops ~20" in like 12 hours across northern Illinois about a week from now. If this replaces the normal GFS... :lmao:

Good to see that we are trying to make improvements on the American model  :pimp:

fv3p_asnow_eus_30.png

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Good to see that we are trying to make improvements on the American model  :pimp:

fv3p_asnow_eus_30.png

That would be the kind of late winter big dog that is worth the misery. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The medium range is just a parade of hits for Iowa and Minnesota. I think they lose complaining privileges for a couple years now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mimillman said:

The medium range is just a parade of hits for Iowa and Minnesota. I think they lose complaining privileges for a couple years now.

Wrong. That blizzard currently being depicted for next weekend is OURS, my friend... only no one knows it yet. /s :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mimillman said:

The medium range is just a parade of hits for Iowa and Minnesota. I think they lose complaining privileges for a couple years now.

Yeah I'm enjoying this while it lasts, since I'm sure we'll probably pay for it next season and beyond.  We had some horrific seasons in the past 10yrs, so it's nice to have one like this to be sure.  Last season southeast MI had the hot hand.  This season they've had a pretty down year in comparison.  Everything averages out eventually. B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I'm enjoying this while it lasts, since I'm sure we'll probably pay for it next season and beyond.  We had some horrific seasons in the past 10yrs, so it's nice to have one like this to be sure.  Last season southeast MI had the hot hand.  This season they've had a pretty down year in comparison.  Everything averages out eventually. B)

This. It's hard not to be disappointed as we almost every big event (or even the medium ones) slide past us, but then I remember that in the mere ten years I've lived here, I've experienced two of Chicago's top 5 snowstorms and one of her snowiest winters ever, and that helps put everything into perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I'm enjoying this while it lasts, since I'm sure we'll probably pay for it next season and beyond.  We had some horrific seasons in the past 10yrs, so it's nice to have one like this to be sure.  Last season southeast MI had the hot hand.  This season they've had a pretty down year in comparison.  Everything averages out eventually. B)

Its one of the most frustrating winters in a while here. The end result still isnt disaster or anywhere near futility, but between the northern suburbs getting several surprise heavy bands that evaded us south of Detroit, and the heavy snows to the west and north (the upper peninsula is having an epic snowpack the last 2 months), its frustration for sure. As i said in another thread...only 2 of the previous 11 seasons had below average snowfall here, we were due. Doesnt mean im not going to complain lol. And likewise...just because Iowa and Minnesota are getting hit over and over and over again, considering theyve had several subpar snow seasons the last decade, i will not hold this epic stretch for them as a "you cant complain" card when future misses hit there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this was interesting...

https://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-jet-stream-flight-20190219-story.html

The jet stream, the high-altitude air current along which storms travel, is furious. The river of air was clocked at more than 230 mph over Long Island on Monday. That measure comes from the 250-millibar pressure level, meaning it was at a height above 75% of the atmosphere's mass. It sets the record for the fastest 250-millibar wind speed ever recorded over New York and, probably, the country.


Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That time of the year again, when you realize the best of winter is behind you. All in all, could have been a much worse outcome given the way it was going in December and early January. Maybe we'll weasel our way up to 50" for the season when we wrap in April.

It goes to show what a dreadful decade it's been in Toronto for snow. A 50" season is considered a triumph.  That used to just be normal. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tread marks of SLPs over LOT's head is growing tiresome. 12Z suite shows no let up with this rain, zr pattern. Cold rain till mid March seems likely.Amended based on  longer range models make that cold and dry with suppression of systems to start March

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cary67 said:

The tread marks of SLPs over LOT's head is growing tiresome. 12Z suite shows no let up with this rain, zr pattern. Cold rain till mid March seems likely

Hopefully we continue with cold rain so we can immediately start spring in mid March. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IllinoisWedges said:

Hopefully we continue with cold rain so we can immediately start spring in mid March. :D

It might get worse....suppressed storm track...and cold...Ugh...

 

Image

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Around 6" of snow today, monthly total well over 70", snow up to my chest (I'm 6.2')... possibility of 1.5-2' of snow this weekend. :snowing:

 You are easily the snowiest place in the upper peninsula I would imagine. You should be an observer  For the MQT NWS. I'm very proud of my continuous observational record, though I must say I honestly do not know how you would record snow depth. That's usually something that you have to take several averages of and your snow so ridiculously deep all you can do is put out a stake in your best guess of a location with minimal drifting or blowing because you sure as heck can't walk around in it every day to take several measurements if needed lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, weatherbo said:

Around 6" of snow today, monthly total well over 70", snow up to my chest (I'm 6.2')... possibility of 1.5-2' of snow this weekend. :snowing:

Man, I really hope there is no early season heavy rain event up there. It is going to be a disaster. Can you still see your house? :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

 You are easily the snowiest place in the upper peninsula I would imagine. You should be an observer  For the MQT NWS. I'm very proud of my continuous observational record, though I must say I honestly do not know how you would record snow depth. That's usually something that you have to take several averages of and your snow so ridiculously deep all you can do is put out a stake in your best guess of a location with minimal drifting or blowing because you sure as heck can't walk around in it every day to take several measurements if needed lol

I'm pretty sure there's places in more remote areas that receive more snow than me, it just isn't measured by anyone... just west of here, and places in the Keweenaw see as much, if not more on a yearly basis.  What makes this place special, is the fact that I sit high on a north facing ridge, with upslope in all but a few directions... it's really a unique spot.

The six years I have been here, tho, this is the deepest depth I have seen, and the most snow at the current to-date period.  I can see hitting 300" possibly this year.

And you're right, the snow is pretty much impossible to walk through, and exhausting to even snowshoe at this depth.  It's almost claustrophobic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Man, I really hope there is no early season heavy rain event up there. It is going to be a disaster. Can you still see your house? :lmao:

According to MQT, their snow pack there has a water equiv of 9", I probably have 10".  Could spell another disaster on the Dead River just south of me like 2003, I think it was.  Heavy rain and rapid snow melt.  And I keep thinking, there's still 6 weeks left of good snow climo.

Snow is up past 50% of most windows.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes all the snow up there most impressive to me is the amount of system snow vs LES fluff.  The water content of that snowpack must be pretty robust.

 

Ninja!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, weatherbo said:

It's F'n deep up here

ssm_depth.2019022103.0_600_450._13271_4887._12941_5327_dem.shading.giklm.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.png.fa463b835c0056b1f19ac811b26f6373.pnglegend_ssm_swe_dem_152_402_0_1_0_1_0_0.png.40996fa17b18e415c94e40191ce3a44c.png

Yeah that is worrisome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, michsnowfreak said:

Its one of the most frustrating winters in a while here. The end result still isnt disaster or anywhere near futility, but between the northern suburbs getting several surprise heavy bands that evaded us south of Detroit, and the heavy snows to the west and north (the upper peninsula is having an epic snowpack the last 2 months), its frustration for sure. As i said in another thread...only 2 of the previous 11 seasons had below average snowfall here, we were due. Doesnt mean im not going to complain lol. And likewise...just because Iowa and Minnesota are getting hit over and over and over again, considering theyve had several subpar snow seasons the last decade, i will not hold this epic stretch for them as a "you cant complain" card when future misses hit there. 

They’ve had a couple good ones in a row now. I’d argue the northern Indiana/central Illinois/Chicago crews have gotten the shaft the past several winters in a row. What’s even more frustrating is when your snow total is overstated time and time again by a certain airport 17 miles to my northwest...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They’ve had a couple good ones in a row now. I’d argue the northern Indiana/central Illinois/Chicago crews have gotten the shaft the past several winters in a row. What’s even more frustrating is when your snow total is overstated time and time again by a certain airport 17 miles to my northwest...
Pretty sure you're overstating futility there. Midway 3SW had 39.1" last year (more than ORD's 36.1) and will finish above normal for this season too with 38.3" so far, vs. 41.2" at ORD. Even if you're lower than MDW 3SW, I'd bet you're over 30" for this season, which is still near normal to date.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Pretty sure you're overstating futility there. Midway 3SW had 39.1" last year (more than ORD's 36.1) and will finish above normal for this season too with 38.3" so far, vs. 41.2" at ORD. Even if you're lower than MDW 3SW, I'd bet you're over 30" for this season, which is still near normal to date.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

I understand where he's coming from but agree that he is overstating it a bit.  

Going back to the winter of 2015-16... considering it was a super Nino, the final result could've been worse imby.  Had the November storm which was respectable for the calendar but didn't get the huge pounding that ORD and north/west received.  The sleet storm in December was interesting even though I've come to hate sleet lol.  Then there was the late February storm, which focused on northwest IN.  Downtown Chicago struggled big time in the November storm and the February storm had the heavier snow just south.  All in all, that was a bad winter for the downtown area but a bit less bad here.

2016-17 had that awful futility streak during the winter even though the final total was not near a record low.  2017-18 was pretty forgettable imo outside of that stretch in early February.  This winter has been very ordinary so far.  Hopefully we get a big one yet, preferably targeting downtown and into northwest IN. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This winter has had more fog and 33 degree rain events than I can ever recall. Ordinary winter for these parts, the highlight by far was the -45 windchills in late January. Actually a chance this winter could end up slightly warmer than normal for here anyway. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×