• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

Lost in the tracking of the current storm is the first significant arctic outbreak of the season in the upper Midwest. Ely MN hit -36 this morning. 

As has been seen sporadically on some models over the past 5 days, there could be a more widespread arctic outbreak towards the end of January. Would like to stop seeing it getting pushed back in time before jumping all in. We’ll see. I just saw a separate thread started for this; if it becomes more certain, I’ll post some stats in there for ORD and other areas. 

9 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Its almost 4pm and supposedly the precip is going to end around midnight. That leaves us with 8 hours. They are forecasting 6-8 unless they lower the amounts with their afternoon update. Since it hasnt even started snowing, there have to be some insane rates if we are to get 6 inches.

Part 2 setting up in southern IL along the IL/IN border.  There's still hope :weenie:

On 1/19/2019 at 10:29 PM, XfireLOW said:

I had -32 this morning. Looks like a few degrees warmer tomorrow morning. Those locations to my east have some more varied terrain to let the cold air sink into the low spots. That gets them about 5 degrees extra cooling.

Looks like the coldest weekend temp was -42, at Babbitt and Crane Lake.

So first snowstorm of the year 4-8" in the GTHA is about to be wiped out by a 12 hour rain storm followed by cold and dry conditions. Theres now talk of the pattern in February and March not being great/warm. Times a dwindling on this winter, within the next month averages start to quickly go up and spring is near. 

On that note, any hints at what Spring/Summer will entail? 

26 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

So first snowstorm of the year 4-8" in the GTHA is about to be wiped out by a 12 hour rain storm followed by cold and dry conditions. Theres now talk of the pattern in February and March not being great/warm. Times a dwindling on this winter, within the next month averages start to quickly go up and spring is near. 

On that note, any hints at what Spring/Summer will entail? 

Everything ive seen points to colder than  Average February. Where are you seeing talk of it being warm? Don't tell me let me guess the mid Atlantic forum lol. In if that's the case no worries here, the can of cold they wish more would be nothing but dry suppression up here.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Everything ive seen points to colder than  Average February. Where are you seeing talk of it being warm? Don't tell me let me guess the mid Atlantic forum lol. In if that's the case no worries here, the can of cold they wish more would be nothing but dry suppression up here.

haha ya browsing the other subs. The weather network up here is also starting to mention that February should be colder than average but that confidence is fading in that regard. They mention that a prolonged thaw might pop up in early-mid February. 

On 1/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, Chinook said:

Since median is defined as a half-way point for a data set, I listed the "Minneapolis Area" snowfall totals in order (1884-1885 through 2017-2018) and the middle of this chart is the half-way point. The average of this data is 46.3", median could be about 42.8" - 43".

Av4s984.jpg

Wow. Thanks for the stats!

I'm trying not to complain, Ive had 2 decent systems, better than Ive had in 4 or 5 years, in the last 2 weeks.  But the torch, 45 degrees and rain, today wiped out an 8 inch pack.  Climo in my area doesn't favor big dogs but even when I get a semi big one I get the 850 blues after (cue Lightnin Hopkins).  With a forecast clipper choo choo coming there's still hope for a decent pack for a few weeks.  We usually do well ridin' the train.  I'm going to give a mid-winter B- so far.

45 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I'm trying not to complain, Ive had 2 decent systems, better than Ive had in 4 or 5 years, in the last 2 weeks.  But the torch, 45 degrees and rain, today wiped out an 8 inch pack.  Climo in my area doesn't favor big dogs but even when I get a semi big one I get the 850 blues after (cue Lightnin Hopkins).  With a forecast clipper choo choo coming there's still hope for a decent pack for a few weeks.  We usually do well ridin' the train.  I'm going to give a mid-winter B- so far.

Ya, 7" of snow is now down to about 1.5" left with still several more hours left of warmth to go. With more rain in the forecast next week for the GTA this winter is about a C- 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:26 PM, mississaugasnow said:

haha ya browsing the other subs. The weather network up here is also starting to mention that February should be colder than average but that confidence is fading in that regard. They mention that a prolonged thaw might pop up in early-mid February. 

For godsakes if that happens let's just move into spring.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Mark my words. By 00z Tonight the Monday clipper hybrid will shift back south. Guaranteed. /S

Looks like rain for most of the GTA and WNY now, most likely taking away the last bit of the snow pack followed by -10F and bare ground. Im offically throwing the towel. Im done with winter 2018-2019. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

Brown ground again and Monday's clipper is a swing and a miss with more cold rain mixing with snow.  The historic cold is backing down from earlier forecasts.  This winter cannot end quick enough.

Your area might be one of the suckier places to be coming up.  Even with little/no snowcover, it's still going to get very cold with this kind of airmass and having the snowpack not far upstream compared to if it were, say, in Canada.  Not much space for modification.

I'm going to be completely honest here. I'm not looking forward to next week's cold. Between car troubles and pipes freezing cold is not fun when it gets to those temps. Plus the life-threatening wind chills and it just get's downright dangerous. From a weather nerd standpoint this cold is awesome. From an everything else perspective not so much.

• Like 1