• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

Looks like at least another 2-3 weeks of boring weather. Im then off to Arizona so everyone should expect a big snowstorm in mid January haha. 

Not ready to throw in the towel yet, but by late February/March it gets increasingly difficult for good snowstorm in the lower lakes so time is running out. And I know it can snow well into March/April but it quickly becomes elevation dependent in the GTA. Especially April.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Looks like at least another 2-3 weeks of boring weather. Im then off to Arizona so everyone should expect a big snowstorm in mid January haha. 

Not ready to throw in the towel yet, but by late February/March it gets increasingly difficult for good snowstorm in the lower lakes so time is running out. And I know it can snow well into March/April but it quickly becomes elevation dependent in the GTA. Especially April.  

I think you might be the first person in this subforum to say that time is running out... before we've reached the winter solstice lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I think you might be the first person in this subforum to say that time is running out... before we've reached the winter solstice lol

haha I know. However, if you were to use November-March as Torontos snowy months (October and April can sometimes surprise) then were quickly approaching the halfway mark of the winter season by the time the pattern changes. Toronto has seen roughly 8 inches of snow so far this year (none were substantial, just 1-2 inches at a time) We average 43-50" depending on your location within the city. So the season would have to really kick into gear hard and fast and deliver non stop storms for us to get close to normal. Reaching normal becomes especially hard the longer the snow drought continues since getting a 8"+ storm is very rare in the city. 

Not saying it wont happen, but sometime within the next few weeks it will start to become increasingly difficult mathematically to reach average. Unless of course we are starring down a 99-00 type season which had a bad December followed by historical amount of snow in the 2nd half of winter, so much so that the army had to be called in to help remove snow. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

There are, though you can find plenty of trees in parts of southern Indiana.

Southern IN,  around Bloomington is actually pretty nice.   Central and northern IN, ummmm uh well not so much.   I do love Michigan and I've been to GR many times.   My wife and I discuss getting a cabin somewhere sometime eventually and I often bring up Lake Michigan shoreline in northern MI as a fav place.    Of course she is a beach bum and can't understand my insane, illogical love of snow.   Quite frankly I don't get it either.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Also want to point out im talking snowfall amounts. The 2nd half of winter appears to deliver some really cold air, just think that might lead to suppression city. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Southern IN,  around Bloomington is actually pretty nice.   Central and northern IN, ummmm uh well not so much.   I do love Michigan and I've been to GR many times.   My wife and I discuss getting a cabin somewhere sometime eventually and I often bring up Lake Michigan shoreline in northern MI as a fav place.    Of course she is a beach bum and can't understand my insane, illogical love of snow.   Quite frankly I don't get it either.

Ohio also seems to be prettier overall than Indiana. I haven't seen any parts of Indiana that's as pretty as the southern parts of Ohio. Come to think of it, out of all the states I've visted, and I've visited many, Indiana may be the least interesting in terms of natural beauty. 

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

I disagree that late February into March is difficult to get a good snowstorm in the lower lakes. That is not at all the case, however obviously a snowstorm at that time of year, while still enjoyable, won't have the lasting effects. This time of year a snowstorm makes me think, nice we can lay down a nice long snow cover as long as we avoid a torch. By March the Sun angle does increase the melt of the snowpack

17 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Ohio also seems to be prettier overall than Indiana. I haven't seen any parts of Indiana that's as pretty as the southern parts of Ohio. Come to think of it, out of all the states I've visted, and I've visited many, Indiana may be the least interesting in terms of natural beauty. 

You've obviously never been to North Dakota.^_^

Ohio is pretty flat and boring from about Central areas north and west.   The southeastern half of Ohio isn't too bad.  In fact the Hocking Hills area is probably the prettiest.   If you were blindfolded and dropped off in some of the natural points of interest in the Hocking Hills, you'd be shocked to know you were in Ohio.

12 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I disagree that late February into March is difficult to get a good snowstorm in the lower lakes. That is not at all the case, however obviously a snowstorm at that time of year, while still enjoyable, won't have the lasting effects. This time of year a snowstorm makes me think, nice we can lay down a nice long snow cover as long as we avoid a torch. By March the Sun angle does increase the melt of the snowpack

Agree, hell Feb is basically the dead of winter and the way our winters have been going, Feb is like the new December.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, buckeye said:

You've obviously never been to North Dakota.^_^

Ohio is pretty flat and boring from about Central areas north and west.   The southeastern half of Ohio isn't too bad.  In fact the Hocking Hills area is probably the prettiest.   If you were blindfolded and dropped off in some of the natural points of interest in the Hocking Hills, you'd be shocked to know you were in Ohio.

...or Kansas.

Basically everything along and 100 miles north of I 70 from Columbus west to Effingham IL is pretty bland other than a few river valleys. However, I find areas in Southern IN comparable to southern OH in beauty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

Yes sir, have a look at my avatar at Ash Cave back in Feb of '14!

On 12/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Is it just me or is MI a little more scenic than IN ? Seems like there are way more trees in MI !

Indiana is originally a part of the prairie. Michigan has a bit of original prairie in the south center part of the state, but that's mostly farmland now

Just go another 75 miles north and it turns into a mixed conifer transitional foliage "Northwoods".

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Some far NW parts of Indiana look a LOT like Michigan because, well, it used to be Michigan. We gifted it to them so they could have a sea port on Lake Michigan, thus that region is known as "Michiana"

PS- Hope your visit to The Mitt was a nice time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

This is 2011-2012 reincarnated. Actually, we are worse shape when you look at Canada.

1629432407_Whatsworse.thumb.png.ea6854df67c7bd16c9542424e7f46270.png

If I remember right that winter was a nearly endless parade of lows that tracked through the Canadian prairies and laid down mountan like amounts of snow in far ne ontario. So much snow that the Canadian government issued a statement about the possibility of avalanches in the area.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:10 PM, buckeye said:

Yeah same here, my wife and I recently moved to Puerto Rico but I'd rather live in Michigan during the winter lol. I'm not sure why, but I love the snow and cold!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LansingWeather said:

Yeah same here, my wife and I recently moved to Puerto Rico but I'd rather live in Michigan during the winter lol. I'm not sure why, but I love the snow and cold!

Should change your name to PR Weather. I don't think we have anyone from PR on this site giving weather reports.

• Haha 1