• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

In most summers (June 10th to Sep 10th), 90% of the days feel like summer. In summer, people don’t worry about needing the right pattern or indices to get summer weather. In July and August, it’s summerlike because the calendar says it’s summer. Very simple!!!

This is a fallacy I see thrown around a lot here. An average summer feels "like summer" here because that's what we are used to. If there was someone who was a "heat lover", who thought that summer should be constant 90+ degree days like they have in Texas, then they would be pretty upset about how "un-summer like" the typical summer is around here. They might make the same argument that beavis made and say that "the heatwave back in June was the only 2 weeks of real summer we've had. The other weeks have only been a disgrace". In fact, they may be used to the winters we get in the Midwest and say "90% of days in the winter feel like winter! In January and February it's winter-like because the calendar says so. Why can't summers do that here?"

If we set our expectations for something that just doesn't happen climatologically, then we will get disappointed. Every single year. The only solutions are to A. move to Phoenix/Houston or Mt. Rainier/Alaska or B. Accept normal, and enjoy a nice 60 degree winter day when it comes (go outside maybe?).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Heck, even NMI had many years I didn't see my lawn from Nov 1st to April 1st. A lot of those years you wondered if summer would be a "no show", in '92 it never made it, lol. I couldn't take it anymore and had to move SOUTH! I do agree with his view that having consistent winter during winter months shouldn't be so difficult. These torch-offs are the worst and we've been getting 'em for 3 winters now. Calling BS on that fwiw

But to be fair though, as frustrating as torches might be, they're to be expected at your latitude and elevation.

And it's funny how relative everything is. The GA/AL folks on the other forum went into meltdown mode themselves after the post-frontal snow event last week failed (yeah, I know they only average 2" in a season, but they're passionate). They're extremely jealous of the winter Chicago has had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Doctor said:

This is a fallacy I see thrown around a lot here. An average summer feels "like summer" here because that's what we are used to. If there was someone who was a "heat lover", who thought that summer should be constant 90+ degree days like they have in Texas, then they would be pretty upset about how "un-summer like" the typical summer is around here. They might make the same argument that beavis made and say that "the heatwave back in June was the only 2 weeks of real summer we've had. The other weeks have only been a disgrace". In fact, they may be used to the winters we get in the Midwest and say "90% of days in the winter feel like winter! In January and February it's winter-like because the calendar says so. Why can't summers do that here?"

If we set our expectations for something that just doesn't happen climatologically, then we will get disappointed. Every single year. The only solutions are to A. move to Phoenix/Houston or Mt. Rainier/Alaska or B. Accept normal, and enjoy a nice 60 degree winter day when it comes (go outside maybe?).

Perfect response and I could not have said it better myself. I have heard countless times how short our summers are here from out of towner's. I do not think so, but that is other people's point of view.  Everything is relative.

3 hours ago, Powerball said:

But to be fair though, as frustrating as torches might be, they're to be expected at your latitude and elevation.

And it's funny how relative everything is. The GA/AL folks on the other forum went into meltdown mode themselves after the post-frontal snow event last week failed (yeah, I know they only average 2" in a season, but they're passionate). They're extremely jealous of the winter Chicago has had.

Ofc they are, but we've been dealt a bunch of extremely bad ones the past 3 seasons, and this winter's have come immediately after our best snows. Weeks to get a decent snow then WHAM! gone a couple days later. At least in 07-08 there was already something popping up on the models to replenish the come-n-go snow cover. Now we get rain/warmth or just plain blah. If this pattern doesn't turn around, we're headed for the worst season since 11-12. Trust me, the mood is NOT positive if you're a snow fan around here.

8 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Ofc they are, but we've been dealt a bunch of extremely bad ones the past 3 seasons, and this winter's have come immediately after our best snows. Weeks to get a decent snow then WHAM! gone a couple days later. At least in 07-08 there was already something popping up on the models to replenish the come-n-go snow cover. Now we get rain/warmth or just plain blah. If this pattern doesn't turn around, we're headed for the worst season since 11-12. Trust me, the mood is NOT positive if you're a snow fan around here.

Its the most frustrating since 11-12, but will end up better than that. The next 2 months will dictate if it is the worst since then. Seeing as though theres only been one below avg snow season since then, its looking likely.

On 2/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, beavis1729 said:

This is a complete disgrace.

rotflmao.... I wish I had read this sooner, I could have used the laugh a couple days ago.

Seriously, you need to find religion.  At least that way you can blame God...or Jesus...or Allah...or Buddah...etc.   How can you be infuriated at 'people' based on weather ?..:lol:.

I kind of get it.   That snowstorm we had a couple weeks ago when the changeover from rain back to snow seemed to take forever.......and ever....that one had my blood boiling to the point where I started snapping at my wife about other things.  I had to remind myself that there's no one or nothing to blame, it is what it is.....relax

I find it humorous when us weenies get angry at the general public for not having the same 'sickness' as us.   You guys DO understand, (I hope), that WE are the freaks, not the general public.   Unless you're making money on snow and cold or participate in winter recreation, most normal people do not find cold weather and snow a good thing. 

To this day, I still don't understand my enjoyment for snow.   I don't ski, I hate shoveling or snow blowing, I don't have little kids to take sledding, I don't make money off of snow, (in fact it stops us from working), and of course the heating bills suck.   YET, I find myself constantly in search for the next snow storm......why?  Until I can answer that question I will accept that I am the freak, not everyone else.

Now go have a fricken beer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Gotta vote with your feet...like I am. I don't widely publicize around here that I am no longer a snow and cold lover (used to...not any more) because this is very definitely a weenie board :rolleyes:.

It's one of the primary reasons we are moving to central North Carolina next summer. I have decided to trade the polar vortex and -28F for the hot & humid summers in the Carolinas. I'm sure the winters there will feel like an extended autumn for me the first five years.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, buckeye said:

To this day, I still don't understand my enjoyment for snow.   I don't ski, I hate shoveling or snow blowing, I don't have little kids to take sledding, I don't make money off of snow, (in fact it stops us from working), and of course the heating bills suck.   YET, I find myself constantly in search for the next snow storm......why?  Until I can answer that question I will accept that I am the freak, not everyone else.

Absolutely agree with all of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

Now go have a fricken beer.

Very well said. I am here mostly for severe tracking and find cold/snow to be a necessary thing to be endured as part of living here...but even I can appreciate the aesthetics of snow. Bare frozen mud is ugly!

• Like 2

Currently a SVR tstm warning in central Oklahoma... with air temperatures in the 30s.

The National Weather Service in Norman has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Western Kingfisher County in central Oklahoma...
  Central Blaine County in northwestern Oklahoma...

* Until 815 PM CST.

* At 726 PM CST, a severe thunderstorm was located 8 miles southeast
  of Fay, moving northeast at 45 mph.

HAZARD...Quarter size hail and the potential for a large of amount
           of smaller hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damage to vehicles is expected.

* Locations impacted include...
  Watonga, Kingfisher, Hitchcock, Greenfield, Loyal and Omega.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/6/2019 at 12:01 PM, buckeye said:

Seriously, you need to find religion.  At least that way you can blame God...or Jesus...or Allah...or Buddah...etc.   How can you be infuriated at 'people' based on weather ?..:lol:.

I would suggest Buddhism since it's very big on accepting things as they are and not having expectations. Take the 4 noble truths:

1 Life involves suffering

2 Desire causes suffering

3 Suffering comes and goes like passing clouds

4 With practice we can awaken and be free from suffering

That said, I too cannot avoid my desire for snow, and living in Columbus causes me great suffering! <_<

Perhaps, when I experience thundersnow, I will attain enlightenment! :D

• Like 1

A true kitchen sink forecast:

This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 25. Calm wind.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 15. East wind around 5 mph.
Sunday
Snow, mainly after 2pm. High near 30. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Sunday Night
Snow before 10pm, then a chance of snow and freezing rain. Low around 25. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Monday
A chance of snow and freezing rain before 10am, then snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 34. East wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Monday Night
Snow and freezing rain likely before 9pm, then freezing rain likely between 9pm and 10pm, then rain after 10pm. Low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tuesday
Rain, mainly before 2pm. High near 43. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Tuesday Night
A chance of rain before 8pm, then rain and snow likely between 8pm and 10pm, then snow likely after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Wednesday
A 30 percent chance of snow before 8am. Partly sunny, with a high near 35. Breezy.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
Thursday
A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
Thursday Night
Rain and snow. Low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Friday
Rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

outside of this subforum: Mount Washington had wind gusts to 148mph

KMWN 091048Z 29096G108KT 1/16SM -SHSN FZFG BLSN VV001 M24/M24 RMK PK WND 300112/0954 VRY LGT ICG

METAR KMWN 091252Z 290100G110KT 1/16SM FZFG BLSN VV001 M25/M25 RMK PK WND 280128/1150 PRESRR VRY LGT ICG

wind gust of 112 kts (128.9 mph) at 09:54z

wind gust of 128 kts (147.3 mph) at 11:50z

• Like 1

This pattern has been largely disappointing here in terms of snowfall. We managed a quick 1” stat padder on Sunday that lasted 24 hours, and then melted away with a 35 degree rain. Had it not been for that 6” storm and that 72 hour cold wave this winter would be a D- here. 

One of the worst winters I can remember. Lots of rain, fog, and ice. I would categorize most of the weather this winter here in east central IL as an inconvenience.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, King James said:

One of the worst winters I can remember. Lots of rain, fog, and ice. I would categorize most of the weather this winter here in east central IL as an inconvenience.

The winter has certainly been better not too far to the north and west.  Haven't really had a "big" storm as shown by the fact that my max snow depth has not gotten above 7".  The lousy December is a big knock on the winter.  The end of January cold and this ice storm props the running grade up for me by a partial to whole grade compared to if those things had not occurred, so locally I'd give it a C at this point.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, King James said:

Been a lot of 34 degree rain events lately. And yes very foggy this winter. I’ve washed my hands with this winter. Sustained winter and snowpack is slowly slipping away here with March just a little over 2 weeks away. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The winter has certainly been better not too far to the north and west.  Haven't really had a "big" storm as shown by the fact that my max snow depth has not gotten above 7".  The lousy December is a big knock on the winter.  The end of January cold and this ice storm props the running grade up for me by a partial to whole grade compared to if those things had not occurred, so locally I'd give it a C at this point.

Reflecting this, I'd probably give this winter a solid B. Even if we haven't had a big dog yet, the novelty has yet to wear off (seriously though... two ice storm warnings in two weeks? After not having any for a decade or something?) Still hoping for the slightly bigger dog around here, because so far we haven't more than five inches from a single snowfall (including the November blizzard, something like 4.8 inches IIRC) but I'm patient/confident that we'll get at least another shot or two.