Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

I don’t know how you guys are so against this thaw. Lol after hitting -15° I’ll gladly take some 55 and sunshine

:lmao: Hmmm...maybe because it’s winter?? Do people root for freezing temps in early August?? :arrowhead::arrowhead:

It’s not very complicated...same ******* with the warministas every year. Please just let seasons be seasons. 3 months of winter, 3 months of summer.

Enjoy the weekend and the super bowl...at least it’s something to take our mind off this garbage. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

There are some crazy people who prefer -15 over 55. Its 60 here and I'm loving it ! Hope it doesnt get colder than 15 the rest of the season !

I'm one of those people who prefer -15. I mean that's a little cold, but these 50s are disgusting. I spent so much time outdoors the last few weeks lol I'm hibernating today.  Considering our last frost is probably more than THREE MONTHS away, i do not understand why people enjoy these fleeting and brief mild days so early.

• Haha 1

:lmao: Hmmm...maybe because it’s winter?? Do people root for freezing temps in early August?? :arrowhead::arrowhead:
It’s not very complicated...same ******* with the warministas every year. Please just let seasons be seasons. 3 months of winter, 3 months of summer.
Enjoy the weekend and the super bowl...at least it’s something to take our mind off this garbage. 

Lol what garbage? This is fantastic weather. Sometimes you need a little break, just like in the summer it doesn’t need to be 90 everyday

34 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

By August im getting tired of the consistent 80s-90s so I personally do start watching for the first real hints of fall. I especially enjoy late August when the first "cool" nights in the 40s start showing up or even more extreme temperatures such as summer 2017 when just north of Toronto got down to 32F and numerous frost advisories were issued. 

I'm nearly over winter by February and if it wont snow Id rather 50s and sun instead of 20s/30s and clouds. 

23 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Definitely, 70 degree change here from Thursday morning. 

I'm still geeking out over the fact that a wide region of the midwest saw anywhere from a 60 to 75 degree temperature swing in roughly 84 hours (give or take depending on location). How often can you say that happens, let alone experience it? 

• Like 1

I am absolutely disgusted with the weather today. All of the snow melted except for piles. It got way warmer than expected. The difference between the wind chill Thursday and the high today was almost 100°.

Since winter arrived around January 10, my son and I have been shoveling little by little a 4-6’ deep by 3’ wide by about 30’ long ski jump run. We’re on an acre and we’ve been taking a lot of the snow out of the yard as it comes down! We were out of town skiing until around noon today, as soon as we got home we put tarps over it, it was still mostly intact. I’m sure we’ll see more snow so we can keep adding to it, the plan is to see how long into spring we can hang onto it. I’ll post pics here if we end up hanging on to it long enough where it’s interesting or noteworthy.
  • Like 4

This is a complete disgrace.

My kids build snow forts last week and go sledding and ice skating, when we finally get some wintry weather in this joke of a season...and then it’s all gone. 15” of snow cover melted in 2 days. It would be bad enough to lose 5” in 2 days during DJF; even that should never happen. Last week, it looked like the ponds and lakes may actually freeze solid for a long time, until mid March like it should...but now they are melting out already. How can this happen? It was -27 four days ago, and the lakes are melting now????? It’s completely unacceptable. There is no other way to describe it.

When a pattern relaxes or turns “unfavorable”, it should mean a modest 5-10” of snowfall over a couple week period, and mild temps in the 20s. Then, the good/decent 2 week periods should be 15”+ of snow with cold temps, like what happened in the second half of January. It should never get above freezing in DJF. Doesn’t need to be below zero consistently like last week...but winter is a season, not a “series of events”. I am so sick of people’s expectations being so low. We should not have to hope for the EPO, AO, ENSO, etc. to behave a certain way in order to have wintry weather. We have had 3 weeks of winter out of 9 DJF weeks this season so far. That is not winter. And parts of the Chicago area have only had 2 weeks, as they missed out on the November storm. Are there ever any summers where only 2 weeks out of 9 feel like summer???? In most summers (June 10th to Sep 10th), 90% of the days feel like summer. In summer, people don’t worry about needing the right pattern or indices to get summer weather. In July and August, it’s summerlike because the calendar says it’s summer. Very simple!!!

It’s always something. In early December, when you would think it’s time to get excited about winter due to the short days, normal highs are still around 40. That is not winter...so what is the point of getting excited about the short days?? Then in late January, the daylight is getting noticeably longer. In February, the sun angle increases. Of course it doesn’t mean that snow can’t stick...but it has a big impact on snow retention. In February, there is noticeable snow melt on sunny days with highs in the 20s. That shouldn’t happen. So then we are left with 6 weeks of what you would think is decent, stable winter. But even during this time, highs in the 30s or warmer are fairly common...which is ridiculous. Good luck retaining snow with those temps. Even our coldest time of year isn’t winter!!! 

But nobody gives a crap. How can people just accept this? How can people keep pretending that we have winter? Sure, we have “occasional wintry weather”, but not winter. There is a huge difference.

What is the point of having any interest in winter. It is a false hope...every single ****** year. I am so so so angry I could scream at everyone in the entire state. It is an abomination. Good bye all. I cannot take this anymore. May be back next winter, but probably not. Not worth the anxiety and trouble. Best wishes to all of you. This is nothing personal against anyone. I just can’t take the inner anger and sadness anymore. And yes, I would like to move...but I need to support my family here in this ******* for at least 10 more years. Trying to save as much as possible to leave sooner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

My kids build snow forts last week and go sledding and ice skating, when we finally get some wintry weather in this joke of a season...and then it’s all gone. 15” of snow cover melted in 2 days. It would be bad enough to lose 5” in 2 days during DJF; even that should never happen. Last week, it looked like the ponds and lakes may actually freeze solid for a long time, until mid March like it should...but now they are melting out already. How can this happen? It was -27 four days ago, and the lakes are melting now????? It’s completely unacceptable. There is no other way to describe it.

When a pattern relaxes or turns “unfavorable”, it should mean a modest 5-10” of snowfall over a couple week period, and mild temps in the 20s. Then, the good/decent 2 week periods should be 15”+ of snow with cold temps, like what happened in the second half of January. It should never get above freezing in DJF. Doesn’t need to be below zero consistently like last week...but winter is a season, not a “series of events”. I am so sick of people’s expectations being so low. We should not have to hope for the EPO, AO, ENSO, etc. to behave a certain way in order to have wintry weather. We have had 3 weeks of winter out of 9 DJF weeks this season so far. That is not winter. And parts of the Chicago area have only had 2 weeks, as they missed out on the November storm. Are there ever any summers where only 2 weeks out of 9 feel like summer???? In most summers (June 10th to Sep 10th), 90% of the days feel like summer. In summer, people don’t worry about needing the right pattern or indices to get summer weather. In July and August, it’s summerlike because the calendar says it’s summer. Very simple!!!

It’s always something. In early December, when you would think it’s time to get excited about winter due to the short days, normal highs are still around 40. That is not winter...so what is the point of getting excited about the short days?? Then in late January, the daylight is getting noticeably longer. In February, the sun angle increases. Of course it doesn’t mean that snow can’t stick...but it has a big impact on snow retention. In February, there is noticeable snow melt on sunny days with highs in the 20s. That shouldn’t happen. So then we are left with 6 weeks of what you would think is decent, stable winter. But even during this time, highs in the 30s or warmer are fairly common...which is ridiculous. Good luck retaining snow with those temps. Even our coldest time of year isn’t winter!!! 

But nobody gives a crap. How can people just accept this? How can people keep pretending that we have winter? Sure, we have “occasional wintry weather”, but not winter. There is a huge difference.

What is the point of having any interest in winter. It is a false hope...every single ****** year. I am so so so angry I could scream at everyone in the entire state. It is an abomination. Good bye all. I cannot take this anymore. May be back next winter, but probably not. Not worth the anxiety and trouble. Best wishes to all of you. This is nothing personal against anyone. I just can’t take the inner anger and sadness anymore. And yes, I would like to move...but I need to support my family here in this ******* for at least 10 more years. Trying to save as much as possible to leave sooner.

2BB33B69-A249-40F8-9CE6-DFC1FF70AA19.png

• Haha 7

To quote Jack Buck... I don't believe what I just saw.  

Beavis, it's obvious you are a die hard winter lover.  Truly.  It helps to remind yourself that you're still in a more wintry climate than a majority of the US population, even though some areas do a lot better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey at least the tree rats are back out this week along with the chirping birds.   Heard a few Geese fly over even. Back yard looks like a mud bogging track   Socked in with clouds, fog and rain for a handful straight of days like its April and May.  Bad Climo is Bad Climo.

46 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

To quote Jack Buck... I don't believe what I just saw.  

Beavis, it's obvious you are a die hard winter lover.  Truly.  It helps to remind yourself that you're still in a more wintry climate than a majority of the US population, even though some areas do a lot better.

Beavis is nothing if not consistent. It could be -30° or 2 feet of snow and he would throw in a preface "but in our horrible climate". I always say this and its worth repeating...i love snow more than anyone and I am FURIOUS it all melted so quick. Its further nauseating hearing the general public say how great this weather is. But we see more winter in the southern Great Lakes than probably 80% of the US population. This is a sucky winter for most, and even the north that beavis always laments about it was a brown December. In fact the Chicago area has been one of the best spots to be this winter. ORD had beaten DTW in snowfall ONCE in the previous 8 winters (and the one time was by 3") and this year they are nearly a foot ahead. This winter is frustrating for most of us but its old to hear its because of a horrible climate. Try living in 80% of the rest of the country and youd be begging for your chicago climate. I remembet beavis called 2013-14 a "decent" winter lol.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Have you considered moving to Marquette, Duluth or Fargo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Wow I never thought someone could feel the same way about winter weather as I do about Illini football and basketball. I want them to win all their games so we have the same out of touch with reality issues.lol

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Powerball said:

Have you considered moving to Marquette, Duluth or Fargo?

Heck, even NMI had many years I didn't see my lawn from Nov 1st to April 1st. A lot of those years you wondered if summer would be a "no show", in '92 it never made it, lol. I couldn't take it anymore and had to move SOUTH! I do agree with his view that having consistent winter during winter months shouldn't be so difficult. These torch-offs are the worst and we've been getting 'em for 3 winters now. Calling BS on that fwiw

16 hours ago, Stebo said:

Lol is all I have for that one.

And the summer thing...90% of the time does not feel like summer. Unless anything over 70° is summer. I am the biggest winter weenie around i will say...its COMPLETELY unrealistic to consider a "bad strectch" in winter to be 10" of snow and mild temps in the 20s in 2 weeks. Likewise calling 2013-14 "decent" is an abomination lol. 

Also....as someone who goes up north annually I will say....its IMPERATIVE for beavis to choose the RIGHT location. There are many areas of the north that are cold but do not get great snow. I can count several times on my trips north when we have had more snow depth in the tropical southern Great Lakes- in Feb- then they have in the great white north outside of favored lake areas. 

10 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Heck, even NMI had many years I didn't see my lawn from Nov 1st to April 1st. A lot of those years you wondered if summer would be a "no show", in '92 it never made it, lol. I couldn't take it anymore and had to move SOUTH! I do agree with his view that having consistent winter during winter months shouldn't be so difficult. These torch-offs are the worst and we've been getting 'em for 3 winters now. Calling BS on that fwiw

The torch offs are maddening and i hate them. But also...it seems like we were due for crap after so many great winters this century. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, beavis1729 said:

This is an epic rant! I have not laughed so hard in a long time! You have to be a true snow lover to get just how funny this is. We all get let down by caring as much as we do for snow and cold, but wow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, beavis1729 said:

Easily one of the top 5 weenie meltdowns of all time. 

I mean, I love winter and snow, but DAMN 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3