Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

7 hours ago, nwohweather said:

It’s why settling this country is such an impressive feat by the colonists.

The American Midwest has to be one of the most versatile climates in the world, the fact in my city of Toledo alone you can get 22 90° days and an average of 40” of snow with temps getting as low as -15° is insanity

Meh

Native Americans have been living in the brutal midwestern climate for thousands of years.

Nothing really impressive about what the colonists did. They would have failed mightily without the thousands of years of wisdom that the Native people shared. 

IMG_5120.PNG

IMG_5121.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brutal cold for the IND forecast area.  (Records not in jeopardy here due to lack of snow cover.)  However the long term AFD says a change is coming...

Highs will surge into the 40s Saturday...50s Sunday and may make a
run at 60 on Monday ahead of the cold front. Pretty amazing to
consider the difference in temperatures from Wednesday night to
Monday afternoon in some places may be 65 to 70 degrees.

4 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

Brutal cold for the IND forecast area.  (Records not in jeopardy here due to lack of snow cover.)  However the long term AFD says a change is coming...

Are you sure. IND thinks it might be close...

Conversation

A few #Indy records to highlight over the next 48 hours: Weds Jan 30 Record Low: -11° (1966) Thurs Jan 31 Record Low: -11° (2004) Weds Jan 30 Record Coldest High: 7° (1936, 1966, 2004) All of these records are in danger of being broken. #INwx

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

This may sound like a silly question but what is ORD ? Sounds like Orlando to me !

Its the airport code for O'Hare Airport in Chicago.  It's short for Orchard Place which is the name of the town that was located in that location before O'Hare was built.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Is it just me or does it seem like its more likely to have large negative departures than large positive departures in winter ? ORD was -40 yesterday but i couldnt ever imagine them being +40.

Depends on your definition of winter. March 2012 had insane departures and a much longer duration. 

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

SBN crushed their old record with a -20°. The old record was -11° in 1936.

Not bad considering their position in relation to the Lake.

5 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Wait until Hoosier sees the bolded red. :o

:weenie: ;) :lol:

Thought I'd move it over here. I decided to see what did happen in '36 in Indiana.

image.png.b1c0114d7c56ba3b5262c8a04eed2c80.png

:sizzle:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Thought I'd move it over here. I decided to see what did happen in '36 in Indiana.

image.png.b1c0114d7c56ba3b5262c8a04eed2c80.png

:sizzle:

Yeah, 1935-36 was a pretty cold winter. And then of course what followed that summer. Extremes. And of course, Hoosier’s #1 analog for every summer. :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Yeah, 1935-36 was a pretty cold winter. And then of course what followed that summer. Extremes. And of course, Hoosier’s #1 analog for every summer. :D

Very prelim summer thoughts but at this point, I am triple weighting 1934 and 1936.  1988 and 2012 are also in the mix.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Very prelim summer thoughts but at this point, I am triple weighting 1934 and 1936.  1988 and 2012 are also in the mix.

It has been phenomenally wet here in rfd ever since last spring, with really no dry periods to speak of. I won’t be surprised if the rubber band snaps back and the spigot shuts off. A dry spring and we’ll be off to the races with your analogues.

One big difference is that winter of 2011-12 was very mild and dry with very little if any snowpack when March rolled around, which gave us a head start on the drought. This time the Midwest actually has a respectable snowpack built up, although we will lose some of that this weekend, it looks like the warm-up to above freezing will not last long (at least for southern WI).

9 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

One big difference is that winter of 2011-12 was very mild and dry with very little if any snowpack when March rolled around, which gave us a head start on the drought. This time the Midwest actually has a respectable snowpack built up, although we will lose some of that this weekend, it looks like the warm-up to above freezing will not last long (at least for southern WI).

To add on to that. Our soil moisture is still very high at least around here while i'm pretty sure the moisture wasn't that high to begin with before the winter in 2011.

2 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I think any records from the 30s need asterisked honestly lol. The Dust Bowl created some conditions that may never be seen again on this continent

The dustbowl was crazy. But I disagree....unless you put asterisks in todays numbers due to UHI. I cant count the time DTW missed a record low by a few degrees due to their UHI that was not there when they were a radiating magnet in the 1960s and 1970s.

The dustbowl was crazy. But I disagree....unless you put asterisks in todays numbers due to UHI. I cant count the time DTW missed a record low by a few degrees due to their UHI that was not there when they were a radiating magnet in the 1960s and 1970s.

Yeah but we all know about urban heating in cities. But for a brief stretch the weather on the continent was radically changed as the middle section of the nation turned into a legitimate desert

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

There are some crazy people who prefer -15 over 55. Its 60 here and I'm loving it ! Hope it doesnt get colder than 15 the rest of the season !

I enjoy cold, but Im ready for spring now. I think we've seen the worst of winter and now its a set up between thaw-snowstorm-thaw-snowstorm.