Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

On 1/27/2019 at 6:41 AM, snowstormcanuck said:

lol

slightly premature i'll admit. Hoping to get 10cm here on hamilton mountain with the system today/tonight. This week will most likely be the most winter week of the year. Winter storm warnings down to deep south and severe cold in the north.  

However, that warm up in February is starting to peak my interest. Some local meteorologists are starting to discuss 50F and above starting next week. I'm not sold on that type of warmth yet, but February last year had a few days in the 60s and in 2017 February had an extended period of warmth of 50s-70s across the midwest and great lakes. 

I still expect a few more snow events and cold weather, but I think next week might be the breaking of winters back. 

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Just to balance out the extreme cold talk.  Here's a heat index forecast from this past June.  Amazing the contrast in weather conditions we can see during the course of a year.  117 heat index forecast to -60 wind chill potential. 

hx.jpg

Literally had this same thought a little while ago.  80 degree dews back then to what's on the way.  Almost like being on a different planet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Literally had this same thought a little while ago.  80 degree dews back then to what's on the way.  Almost like being on a different planet.

Sure is lol.  In the heart of summer we have some of the more tropical conditions that you'll find on the planet.  It's simply amazing that we can transform into a vicious arctic wasteland like this.  The other areas around the planet that get the extreme tropical conditions don't even come close to seeing the kind of cold/dry arctic air masses like what we see.  

Made this image comparison earlier.

xcxcvxvxcv.jpg

• Like 3

It’s why settling this country is such an impressive feat by the colonists. The American Midwest has to be one of the most versatile climates in the world, the fact in my city of Toledo alone you can get 22 90° days and an average of 40” of snow with temps getting as low as -15° is insanity
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

It’s why settling this country is such an impressive feat by the colonists. The American Midwest has to be one of the most versatile climates in the world, the fact in my city of Toledo alone you can get 22 90° days and an average of 40” of snow with temps getting as low as -15° is insanity

The only reason the Dakotas, Montana, and the central Canadian provinces are settled is because of the insane agricultural quality of the region.

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Sure is lol.  In the heart of summer we have some of the more tropical conditions that you'll find on the planet.  It's simply amazing that we can transform into a vicious arctic wasteland like this.  The other areas around the planet that get the extreme tropical conditions don't even come close to seeing the kind of cold/dry arctic air masses like what we see.  

xcxcvxvxcv.jpg

That is absolutely amazing. It really is true that the Midwest has some of the most extreme seasons probably in the world. Obviously this is a more extreme example, but even in the most non extreme year (for example say we had a mild Winter and a cool summer), when you actually look at the extremes of the hottest part of the year and the coldest part of the year, it's something that most places do not see.

12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

xcxcvxvxcv.jpg

Might be cool to make a map of (Record HI - Record WC). Especially if there is enough data to plot it worldwide. The results could be interesting

To add to the extreme climate discussion, North Dakota recorded a low of -60ºF and a high of 121ºF less than 5 months from each other in 1936. :blink:
https://www.weather.gov/bis/climate_EXT

As for my complaints, I am concerned that this bitter cold snap is going to kill half of my fruit trees. I live in USDA plant hardiness zone 5b which means an average annual minimum temperature of -10ºF to -15ºF. We have gotten below that the past 3 out of five years here. :ee: Recent updates to the map have most areas warmer than what they were in the past, but if polar vortex visits are going to become more common here, lots of places in the midwest will need to be dropped a zone.