Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Nuiqsut, AK (north central part of the state) was -42 at 8 PM last night, south wind at 9 mph, wind chill -67.

At least someone in North America is experiencing winter.

I feel like I'm experiencing winter there. It is 22° with a wind chill of 9° and mood flakes are flying from the lake. Typical mid January day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

That sure was a sharp cutoff south of Indy.

Typically in the midwest, smaller snow systems are very frequent (moreso up here but definitely down by you too). I don't know what's going on this Winter lol, but they usually are. But when you're talking a big storm, sometimes the best snows are the areas that have to "smell the rain" so to speak.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Im not sure why, but it seems like areas further west always seem to have an easier time getting big snows. Im pretty sure IL, MO, etc have already had way more snow than areas further east and it looks like this storm will be the same.

Thats an odd anamoly this year. In fact, i cant think of a place thats been more screwed in the snow department this decade than St Louis. But they appear ground zero Saturday and they did well in the november storm too.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I was checking out some stats for Detroit and the last time they were this deep into January with less than 8" of snow was 2011-12.  How the mighty have fallen.  :P

....at least in 11-12 we were torching our way into that epic Morch.    If we end up with similar snow totals as 11-12 with temps around normal or below normal into march, that's the definition of

:yikes: :devilsmiley:METEROLOGICAL HELL:yikes::devilsmiley:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Seeing as though this storm is the 1st snow of consequence since November outside of the far North, I will give ma nature a pass lol. Especially since the extended is looking active. But if we end up dodging subsequent events, I will be lighting up this thread a little more in a few weeks. We have seen plenty of the usual, flakes in the air, but enough is enough. The cold has returned, the snow better be close behind!

5 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

No,you mean the NCEP is. ECMWF.........not really. I don't want to start with the UKMET.........

This isn't really a "arctic" pattern, but a suppressed PAC JET with arctic air stuck on the border. Who doesn't love that pattern if it delivers snow though?

You're getting dangerously close to being called Optimismsummons

• Haha 3

I just realized I have only used my snowblower 5 times since fall 2014. Thats pretty lame for the Minnesota/Canadian border.  Ever since I got 18" on April 1st 2014 it's felt like every snow event just seems to fizzle as it gets near.  

I am hoping for a 2012-2013 type turn around in snow/cold. Looks like the cold is coming, but the snow looks to be going south of me...

I know that this is completely anecdotal, but it seems like specific areas of the subforum are jackpot areas for multiple winters storms for period of time. For example, several years ago, it felt like every time you turned around, Madison was getting hammered. That same feeling later occurred with Mt. Geos, then Chicago, then Detroit. I'm not about to take the time to check it statistically, but it's interesting. Who's next? STL?

EDIT: Of course, that excludes the LES dudes, Josh, Will, Bo, etc. They're always buried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1