• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

The NWS web sites work properly, and the web sites with models are still getting data from NCEP. I am wondering when the ESRL (NCEP Reanalysis and other various maps) might be available... after the government starts paying people again.

This might seem like kind of a random question, but how would somebody view an IR-enhanced satellite image from GOES-13 from a few years ago? 

The Washington Post says the GFS is running poorly due to the government shutdown. Wow. I never would have thought of this. Heck, it's the Washington Post, so, you know that actual journalism was done and it's not just speculation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/01/07/national-weather-service-is-open-your-forecast-is-worse-because-shutdown/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b33bcf1a93b2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I love how the Mid Atlantic folks get so excited by snowstorms. It takes a lot for midwesterners to get excited.

When a storm threat is imminent, people here get excited. But people here tend to be more laid back. The mid Atlantic forum has hundreds and hundreds of pages devoted to Winter talk but hardly sees any snow. They can get a good hit, but I think DC just recently went like 3 years without a 2" snowfall.  I would definitely say they are probably the most weenie subforum on here

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

When a storm threat is imminent, people here get excited. But people here tend to be more laid back. The mid Atlantic forum has hundreds and hundreds of pages devoted to Winter talk but hardly sees any snow. They can get a good hit, but I think DC just recently went like 3 years without a 2" snowfall.  I would definitely say they are probably the most weenie subforum on here 

Even though they probably don't get as much snow on average, I kind of like how they are in a better location to get big storms compared to say Cincinnati. The weather just seems more exciting along the East Coast than in the lower Midwest.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Even though they probably don't get as much snow on average, I kind of like how they are in a better location to get big storms compared to say Cincinnati. The weather just seems more exciting along the East Coast than in the lower Midwest.

Im not as familiar with the lower midwest climate as up here further north, but i know its a big difference snow wise. Of course the midatlantic can get bigger snowstorms, but there are so many years of almost nothing, i dont know if id call that exciting. Id call it frustrating. 

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

Im not as familiar with the lower midwest climate as up here further north, but i know its a big difference snow wise. Of course the midatlantic can get bigger snowstorms, but there are so many years of almost nothing, i dont know if id call that exciting. Id call it frustrating.  

As someone who lived in GA all of my life except for the last year, I know all about going many years without getting anything. But when you do get that one rare snowstorm, there's nothing like it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

As someone who lived in GA all of my life except for the last year, I know all about going many years without getting anything. But when you do get that one rare snowstorm, there's nothing like it.

I forgot you just moved there. Yikes. Trust me...for your area it DOES and WILL get better than what you've seen!

Being the data guru i am, I was looking up other years where there were large periods with little snow. Some interesting data, because many of the winters you dont think of because they dont stand out on futility lists (because of early and or late snows). I couldnt believe the back to back Januarys 1932 & 1933. Both years were record warm January with almost no snow. Both years had reports of dandelions and pussy willows blooming as well as tulips poking several inches through the ground (both years had later cold snaps which surely killed everything). Can you imagine if we had back to back years like that today!?

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I forgot you just moved there. Yikes. Trust me...for your area it DOES and WILL get better than what you've seen!

My first year here has been pretty horrible. I got here last January and the biggest snow I have seen was 4". Mostly a bunch of 1-2" events last winter. Practically nothing this winter. I just want to see a 6" snow if that is possible.

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

My first year here has been pretty horrible. I got here last January and the biggest snow I have seen was 4". Mostly a bunch of 1-2" events last winter. Practically nothing this winter. I just want to see a 6" snow if that is possible.

My fondest memory from the last really good snow goes all the way back to Valentines Day 2007.  Since then it has been near misses or sleet storms for cold rain.  

VD2007.png

• Like 1

More Chicago stats.

You would think after a snowy November that it wouldn't take until well into January to receive the next 1" snowfall, and you'd be right.  For purposes of this post, I'm using 6"+ Novembers to define "snowy"

Here's the list of Novembers with at least 6" of snow and the date of the next calendar day 1" snow.  All but one occurred in the first half of December.  And what is it about December 2?  lol

Year/November snow total/Next 1" snow

1940 / 14.8" / December 2

1895 / 14.5" / December 2

1951 / 14.3" / December 14

2018 / 12.7" / None

2015 / 11.2" / December 2

1975 / 10.8" / December 8

1953 / 7.6" / December 15

1893 / 7.5" / December 2

1978 / 7.1" / December 1

1950 / 7.0" / December 6

1891 / 6.8" / December 6

1959 / 6.6" / December 23

1977 / 6.3" / December 1

1947 / 6.2" / December 10

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, buckeye said:

Christmas eve....evening.   Columbus was riding the pink and green line while western OH and IN and all places north and east....even DC because of CAD...was getting a snowstorm. 

we got french kissed by the grinch

Speaking of Christmas snows, did you get any snow around Christmas 2004 ?

Just now, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Speaking of Christmas snows, did you get any snow around Christmas 2004 ?

yes one of my favorite storms but it was way too close for comfort.   We got a snowstorm followed by an icestorm.   I could smell the plain rain to my east and the epic snow to my west.    That's probably a Hoosier top 5 hated.

Buckeye, I'd say Jan 99 is the prime example of both of us getting significant snow from the same storm.  You will rarely see a northeastward moving system hit both of us like that.  I actually think it would be a little easier for both of us to get hammered by a clipper on steroids moving nw to se.

3 minutes ago, buckeye said:

yes one of my favorite storms but it was way too close for comfort.   We got a snowstorm followed by an icestorm.   I could smell the plain rain to my east and the epic snow to my west.    That's probably a Hoosier top 5 hated.

Indeed

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Buckeye, I'd say Jan 99 is the prime example of both of us getting significant snow from the same storm.  You will rarely see a northeastward moving system hit both of us like that.  I actually think it would be a little easier for both of us to get hammered by a clipper on steroids moving nw to se.

You're right....something from the south ain't gonna cut it.   But hell I remember a manitoba mauler that came through several years ago that gave Indiana thundersnow but the damn thing wrapped up as it moved east, dry air got pulled into it, and we got dry slotted.   It's amazing the multiple ways we can fail.