• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

I'd be really surprised if 2011-12 was walking through that door. In hindsight, the cold December thought was a fake out and this month likely finishing AN shouldn't be surprising in a weak Niño. Not sure how the snow dept will work out but no reason right now to punt the rest of the winter. I think we'll have some periods of exceptional cold at least.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I'd be really surprised if 2011-12 was walking through that door. In hindsight, the cold December thought was a fake out and this month likely finishing AN shouldn't be surprising in a weak Niño. Not sure how the snow dept will work out but no reason right now to punt the rest of the winter. I think we'll have some periods of exceptional cold at least.

If we were gonna lose a month in a weak Nino it was going to be December. I'm bummed but I don't see a reason to give up yet as rest of the winter holds potential, especially with that SSW.

• Like 3

If we were gonna lose a month in a weak Nino it was going to be December. I'm bummed, but I don't see a reason to give up yet, rest of the winter holds potential, especially with that SSW.
And also, not out of the realm some of us get lucky in the upcoming Niña like stretch. 12z FV3 lol:112e0b713eaaa76a00da127bc7efe34d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

And also, not out of the realm some of us get lucky in the upcoming Niña like stretch. 12z FV3 lol:112e0b713eaaa76a00da127bc7efe34d.jpg

The FV3 has been *very* snowy over the past several runs, but A ) it's the entire run and the majority of snow falls after FH200 and B ) its the FV3 and it has yet to prove itself to me, especially with its big letdown that was the early season blizzard. Not expecting that to come to fruition but I'll be a happy camper if it does. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

I would be surprised also. I mean for starters 2011 had a top 20 warmest November and this year had a top 20 coldest November lol. As a whole snow lovers in much of this region have been very spoiled this century with Winter weather. Of course there have been down times but when you look at the big picture, over 140 years of weather records, there are a lot of winters that are not big snow or cold makers.  Every year is not going to finish snowier than average or average would not be average. But this should not mean that every time we go into a mild or snowless stretch people should fear the worst of the worst.

• Like 2

Lately it seems so difficult to have a nice cold/snowy stretch starting a week or two before Christmas AND HOLD through the 25th.  I can't even remember the last time it happened around here.  2010?  Maybe before that?  Last year was nice in that it snowed on Christmas Eve, but talk about getting saved at the last minute. December 2016 started out good but the 25th was mild and the snow rapidly melting.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Oh yeah I agree, my post was tongue-in-cheek :lol:

• Like 1

Oh yeah I agree, my post was tongue-in-cheek 

More in response to Jonger's original post lol. I think it's easy to forget we've been basically cold since mid October til now. We were overdue for a mild stretch. On the same token, I dont think anyone thought the late 70s or 2013-14 was walking through that door this year.

24 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

More in response to Jonger's original post lol. I think it's easy to forget we've been basically cold since mid October til now. We were overdue for a mild stretch. On the same token, I dont think anyone thought the late 70s or 2013-14 was walking through that door this year.

Oh yeah I agree there, this is actually closer to some fall like weather for once, I mean it has been nearly winter weather from when the switch flipped in October.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Lately it seems so difficult to have a nice cold/snowy stretch starting a week or two before Christmas AND HOLD through the 25th.  I can't even remember the last time it happened around here.  2010?  Maybe before that?  Last year was nice in that it snowed on Christmas Eve, but talk about getting saved at the last minute. December 2016 started out good but the 25th was mild and the snow rapidly melting.

For here last year we had a nice mid December snowpack that melted quickly a few days before christmas and then we had the perfect Currier and Ives Christmas Eve snowstorm. So despite the few day reprieve, I consider that a great December. In 2016 we also had a nice snowpack that was constant from early to mid December through christmas, tho christmas was a very murky day with melting snow (albeit still a full cover). 2013 had a nice snowpack 2 weeks before Christmas then we went down to patchy cover right around Christmas which only lasted a few days and would ironically be the only patch snow covered days until late March 2010 had solid snowcover and cold for 2 weeks before Christmas and into Christmas itself but it was actually quite boring after the storm on December 12.

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

Interestingly enough as the OP GFS is wildly erratic, the FV3 has been very consistent on this cold and snowy change including tonight's run.

WV is kind of in between IMO but there are definitely some south mixed in. Maybe S IN/OH KY/WV is the mixing zone. The 'sleet' area :lmao:
I was born in Clarksburg WV. I still have family in WV. WV is neither North nor South.... it's Appalachia. Your level of Appalachianess is measured by altitude and not latitude.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2018 at 12:14 AM, cyclone77 said:

The wireless transmitter on my Davis VP2 died a few days ago.  Only a few years old.  Had the Davis Vue for 5 years with no issues, but have only had the VP2 a little over 2yrs before this issue.  Not too impressed.  It's about $120 for a new transmitter.  For those who are looking to buy the more expensive VP2, I'd just stick with the cheaper Vue.  It's not quite as accurate, but still pretty darn close.  The price difference really isn't worth it IMO.

Ordered a new Vue tonight to replace the POS VP2.  Tried several different things to revive the VP2 to no avail.  VP2's are normally pretty reliable from everything I've read, but apparently I got the lemon that was built on a Monday/Friday.  At least I got a few years of use out of it before it shit the bed.  Other than having the option to mount the anemometer away from the rest of the sensor suite there's really not much of an advantage over the VUE anyway.  You can't get the aspirated thermo shield with the VUE, but in my experience with the 24hr FARS it didn't make that much of a difference anyway.  Perhaps one degree.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Ordered a new Vue tonight to replace the POS VP2.  Tried several different things to revive the VP2 to no avail.  VP2's are normally pretty reliable from everything I've read, but apparently I got the lemon that was built on a Monday/Friday.  At least I got a few years of use out of it before it shit the bed.  Other than having the option to mount the anemometer away from the rest of the sensor suite there's really not much of an advantage over the VUE anyway.  You can't get the aspirated thermo shield with the VUE, but in my experience with the 24hr FARS it didn't make that much of a difference anyway.  Perhaps one degree.

I got about five years out of my VP2 before the base unit died. It was the wired version and a replacement base unit was stupid expensive. I replaced it with a WS-2902A from Ambient. Not as good specs (at least on paper), but it was only 1/4 the cost and it has built-in internet functions instead of the add-on cost like the Davis.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

If the rest of your VP2 is still good, why not just hold your nose and get the replacement transmitter?

What kind of warranty do these stations come with?

While it would be nice to have my own weather station like the Davis, there are plenty of person weather stations in Cedar Rapids I can access through wunderground.  I'm satisfied with that.

4 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

If the rest of your VP2 is still good, why not just hold your nose and get the replacement transmitter?

What kind of warranty do these stations come with?

While it would be nice to have my own weather station like the Davis, there are plenty of person weather stations in Cedar Rapids I can access through wunderground.  I'm satisfied with that.

It comes with a 1 year warranty. The problem was actually with the console, which is even more expensive to replace. 

Have had a weather station since 2010 so it's kinda hard not having one now. This area is pretty rural with very few stations close by so it's pretty convenient.

• Like 1