Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

2 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Recently drove down to Nashville and couldn't believe how far south Cincinnati felt. Weather wise Cincinnati has nothing in common with southern ontario/WNY/SE MI 

Which leads me to a question. When do you guys feel like you've entered the south? For me its Cincinnati, especially its Kentucky suburbs.   Ive heard Cincinnati been referred to as the most southern northern city and the most northern southern city.     

I would agreed.  I generally think of Ohio as the North and Kentucky as the South

3 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Recently drove down to Nashville and couldn't believe how far south Cincinnati felt. Weather wise Cincinnati has nothing in common with southern ontario/WNY/SE MI 

Which leads me to a question. When do you guys feel like you've entered the south? For me its Cincinnati, especially its Kentucky suburbs.   Ive heard Cincinnati been referred to as the most southern northern city and the most northern southern city.     

When I get about 20 miles south of here.  :lmao:

I'm only partially joking.  It's a different makeup politically and even the accent has some differences.  Growing up and spending many years of my life in the Chicago metro area, I have a Chicago flavor in my voice.  

I would definitely say Kentucky is more like the South than not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

Not really a complaint or banter.... but.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/12/13/fox-2-detroits-starr-dead-co-worker-says/2298426002/

Fox 2 Detroit's Jessica Starr has died, station says

Suicide.

What a beautiful young woman. Very sad to imagine her suffering so bad inside that that’s seen as the only solution. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

Not really a complaint or banter.... but.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/12/13/fox-2-detroits-starr-dead-co-worker-says/2298426002/

Fox 2 Detroit's Jessica Starr has died, station says

Suicide.

They want to blame LASIK but I don’t know.  Having researched it heavily myself years back and ultimately opting not to do it the vast majority of the suicides tend to occur years later when it’s apparent there is no hope the side effects will fade.  This was well inside the 6 months recovery time.    It sucks that it seems nobody around her knew something was wrong.  Similar to my good friend who recently committed suicide.  Only sign was one of those realizations after it happens.  He was texting me way more than usual in the weeks proceeding it but I never thought much of it at the time 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

Cinci for sure, although there are parts of southern IN/OH which might as well be Kentucky, which I feel is definitely the south.

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

They want to blame LASIK but I don’t know.  Having researched it heavily myself years back and ultimately opting not to do it the vast majority of the suicides tend to occur years later when it’s apparent there is no hope the side effects will fade.  This was well inside the 6 months recovery time.    It sucks that it seems nobody around her knew something was wrong.  Similar to my good friend who recently committed suicide.  Only sign was one of those realizations after it happens.  He was texting me way more than usual in the weeks proceeding it but I never thought much of it at the time 

My wife has been fighting depression for years. Medication and therapy has helped some. Still there are good and bad days. So sorry for your loss.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:29 PM, weatherbo said:

I cannot agree to WV being considered south, so that kinda forces me to have an issue with Kentucky, as well.  True south begins, imo, with the Tennesse/NC borders.

WV is kind of in between IMO but there are definitely some south mixed in. Maybe S IN/OH KY/WV is the mixing zone. The 'sleet' area :lmao:

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Stebo said:

WV is kind of in between IMO but there are definitely some south mixed in. Maybe S IN/OH KY/WV is the mixing zone. The 'sleet' area :lmao:

from my experience it doesn't matter if it's Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc....

....every state has a 'lil bit of "WV" somewhere in it.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Stebo said:

Very sad to read this earlier today especially this time of year.

Unfortunately, suicides tend to spike during this time of the years (holidays and seeing others "happy" exacerbates many problems).

Can never spread this enough, reach out for help if you need it. 

National Suicide Prevention Hotline 

1-800-273-8255

• Like 4

Anyone else getting the feeling this "Cold" winter is going to turn into a 2 week cold period the last week of January and the first week of Feb??  This is starting to remind me of the cold chasing I did in the winter of '05-'06 and '12-'13.  A little discouraged by the CPC's write up for the next 3-4 weeks.  They seem to be thinking the opposite of everyone else.  

2 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Anyone else getting the feeling this "Cold" winter is going to turn into a 2 week cold period the last week of January and the first week of Feb??  This is starting to remind me of the cold chasing I did in the winter of '05-'06 and '12-'13.  A little discouraged by the CPC's write up for the next 3-4 weeks.  They seem to be thinking the opposite of everyone else.  

No I am not getting that feeling, however I am getting a strong feeling that December will be the least wintry month of that NDJFM period. It hasnt even been a torch, it just has not wanted to snow like it did last month, and signs going forward are certainly better for Jan and Feb.

21 minutes ago, Jonger said:

On a positive note... the heavily climate change biased CFS now has January below normal.

Warm periods are common in most winters, but its especially bad when they occur during what I consider the most delicate time of year for wx weenies. This is the time every year where people have doubts about Winter regardless of how good or bad the pattern is at the time. Absolutely nothing is pointing to 2011-12 with what has happened so far or what likely lurks in the future. As for the CFS? I don't even know what to call it because Winter temperatures have barely budged here and even if you account for a very slight warming there's no excuse for its constant torching. That's why I am definitely intrested in the colder look at has for both January and February.

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's one thing to wish for a warm March, especially with our delayed Springs lately. I certainly wont, but understand those who do. but why wish for agricultural disaster?

Give me a warm april and may right after. Start spring March 1st

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Give me March 12 again.

I still think that March 2012 was the biggest weather event Ive witnessed in my life. Trees were green and flowering shrubs and trees were in bloom by late March. At my cottage (Muskoka region of Ontario) when theres still normally 3 feet of snow and 20-30 inches of ice on the lake, there was no snow, all ice gone and spring peepers 6-8 weeks ahead of normal. 

• Like 1