Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

10 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I lol when the point forecast algorithm does this. Can you say wintry mix?

Wednesday
A chance of rain and snow before 2pm, then a chance of rain between 2pm and 3pm, then a chance of rain and snow after 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday Night
Rain likely, possibly mixed with snow before 7pm, then rain likely between 7pm and 3am, then a chance of rain and snow after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Thursday
A chance of snow before 7am, then a chance of rain after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

The last 2 seem reasonable, but that 1st one is definitely funny.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The upcoming cutoff is annoying.  Could waste a normally good track.  Guess can still hope it trends toward having just enough cold air.

ICON joins GEM in showing at least a little accum's. Especially friendly to OK and NWAR where it's showing spotty purple amt's. Will be a LOL moment if this trended to a decent hit for somebody.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:10 AM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I think the south is in a better location for extreme snow events due to their proximity to the ocean. Outside of the Lake Effect snow region, you just don't see a lot of big snows in the midwest, especially the area of the midwest I am in. The biggest snow we saw last winter was 4" !! I saw 8" in GA last December and there was a foot just 10 miles away lol.  And now the south is getting another huge snowstorm. It's amazing how many cold and cloudy days this part of the country gets, but doesn't get a lot of snow to show for it.

100% wrong. You were in Indiana one Winter. I don't know what you are not grasping about the concept. I'm not sure where in Indiana you live, but again, since 2000, Indianapolis (FAR from the best location for snow in indiana) has had 32 snowstorms of 4" or more, 17 of 6"+, and 4 of 10"+. Obviously, to have the biggest storm of the season be 4" is on the low side. Atlanta meanwhile, in that same timeframe, has had THREE storms of 4"+, the largest being 4.6". 90% of this subform outside the lake belts averages 1-2+ snowstorms PER WINTER of 6"+. Most of the deep south outside the mountainstops is lucky if they average 1 per DECADE.  I do not deny that you are in one of the worst areas of this sub forum for snow, however on average you still certainly will do much better than the deep South in terms of big snowstorms.  

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

100% wrong. You were in Indiana one Winter. I don't know what you are not grasping about the concept. I'm not sure where in Indiana you live, but again, since 2000, Indianapolis (FAR from the best location for snow in indiana) has had 32 snowstorms of 4" or more, 17 of 6"+, and 4 of 10"+. Obviously, to have the biggest storm of the season be 4" is on the low side. Atlanta meanwhile, in that same timeframe, has had THREE storms of 4"+, the largest being 4.6". 90% of this subform outside the lake belts averages 1-2+ snowstorms PER WINTER of 6"+. Most of the deep south outside the mountainstops is lucky if they average 1 per DECADE.  I do not deny that you are in one of the worst areas of this sub forum for snow, however on average you still certainly will do much better than the deep South in terms of big snowstorms.   

So you are saying it was just bad luck that I saw 8" of snow in GA last December and the biggest snow I saw in IN was 4" last winter ?

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That actually seems like a decent stretch for a place like Indy.  I don't know for sure but my guess is that the long term frequency (since records began) for those categories may be somewhat less.

46 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

So you are saying it was just bad luck that I saw 8" of snow in GA last December and the biggest snow I saw in IN was 4" last winter ?

You are looking at a 1 year vacuum and complaining... Drive this out to 5 years and I would bet that 8" snowfall in GA is their only one while you have at least a couple higher here.

• Like 4

Well we got a quick hit of what I would call a "generous dusting" up to about 1/2" of mood flakes this morning. Better than the bare tundra of the last couple weeks.

The annoying thing is, we got whiffed to the south by the November crusher, yet you go about 30-45 minutes north around Portage, Wis. Dells, Mauston etc. and there's solid snow cover. Made for a nice effect with the lights of the CP Holiday Train when I chased it last Saturday.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, Hoosier said:

That actually seems like a decent stretch for a place like Indy.  I don't know for sure but my guess is that the long term frequency (since records began) for those categories may be somewhat less.

It probably is. I'm not familiar enough with Indys climo to confirm, but it would make sense as we have had that here in Detroit. Snowstorm frequency is much increased since 2000 over the long term average.

Recently drove down to Nashville and couldn't believe how far south Cincinnati felt. Weather wise Cincinnati has nothing in common with southern ontario/WNY/SE MI 

Which leads me to a question. When do you guys feel like you've entered the south? For me its Cincinnati, especially its Kentucky suburbs.   Ive heard Cincinnati been referred to as the most southern northern city and the most northern southern city.     

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Recently drove down to Nashville and couldn't believe how far south Cincinnati felt. Weather wise Cincinnati has nothing in common with southern ontario/WNY/SE MI 

Which leads me to a question. When do you guys feel like you've entered the south? For me its Cincinnati, especially its Kentucky suburbs.   Ive heard Cincinnati been referred to as the most southern northern city and the most northern southern city.     

I am from GA and I can tell you that Cincinnati is not the south. Parts of KY have a southern feel but generally speaking I dont consider KY to be the south. You reach the south once you cross the TN border.

58 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I am from GA and I can tell you that Cincinnati is not the south. Parts of KY have a southern feel but generally speaking I dont consider KY to be the south. You reach the south once you cross the TN border.

Interesting. Its like theres a no mans land between the two haha. From my travels across the eastern part of the continent southern Illinois thru southern Indiana-KY-WV-MD-DE all have qualities of south and north. KY and WV to me seem to have a lot more southern aspects of culture. One of my favorite indicators of the south is grits and accent. Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Columbus and Indianapolis I hear little to no accent. Cincinnati, Lousiville, Charleston WV is where I hear the first southern accents and the menus all start adding grits prominently. 

To add my own experience with accents, when in Nashville they assumed pretty correctly that I was from the North East, but not from NYC or Boston. 

Dont mean to go way off topic, just a boring pattern right now and interested in this sort of stuff. 

• Like 1