Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

30 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

:lmao: Then Indiana's suicide rate should be much higher

lol...

my daughter who graduates grad school from IWU this spring would concur 100%.   We make fun of her when she starts having one of her 'I can't stand this place' rants...

we actually call them her  'Marion Meltdowns'  :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Lol. Says the person from southern Michigan. By any other standard even the Keweenaw is flat.

But about Grand Marais - it really is flat. Just 10 miles south of there is what people call the 'Seney Stretch' - known as the most boring road in Michigan. The whole area is a flat, bug infested, malaria/dysentery ridden swamp. The forests there consist of trees and 10 inches of standing water for mosquito larvae. There's a reason 35% of the people who live there die from suicide - they get bored of driving around.

Ah, I figured it was something like Jonger and just wanting to be within reach of everything. I desperately want to explore the area Jonger always talks about up in Ontario near Wawa.

Quite the dystopian view of the UP. :lmao:

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

lol...

my daughter who graduates grad school from IWU this spring would concur 100%.   We make fun of her when she starts having one of her 'I can't stand this place' rants...

we actually call them her  'Marion Meltdowns'  :lol:

I spent 25 years working in Marion and living in Grant County. IWU is one of the very few redeeming qualities of that community. It's bad enough living in this area, let alone there.

• Sad 1

I happen to love the Seney swamps.  Most of the wolves I've seen up here have been while traveling that stretch, especially in the wee hours.  The entire shoreline of the UP is stunning so IDK how to choose there, either.  I do prefer the western half overall (mostly because of the ruggedness), but LOVE Munising to Paradise N of 28.  

The whole area is a remote northern wilderness and I love every minute of the 6 month winter, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

I happen to love the Seney swamps.  Most of the wolves I've seen up here have been while traveling that stretch, especially in the wee hours.  The entire shoreline of the UP is stunning so IDK how to choose there, either.  I do prefer the western half overall (mostly because of the ruggedness), but LOVE Munising to Paradise N of 28.  

The whole area is a remote northern wilderness and I love every minute of the 6 month winter, too.

Yeah if he thinks the UP is boring, he needs drive across Iowa or Nebraska. :lol:

10 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

no, It sucks here. We never get a good widespread storm anymore. I bet it was up there though for GHD 2011 and some in 2014 but I haven't seen one since joining a few years ago

So basically if you wanna see a good snowstorm, either move to the northeast, mid atlantic, or deep south. By the way, the deep south also had a major snowstorm in Early December last year with a foot of snow outside of Atlanta. Widespread 10-20 inch snows in NC with this storm. I bet IN and OH wont get a snowstorm of that magnitude outside of the Lake Effect snow areas this winter.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

no, It sucks here. We never get a good widespread storm anymore. I bet it was up there though for GHD 2011 and some in 2014 but I haven't seen one since joining a few years ago

We had close to 10,000 posts between all the threads for GHD 2011.  We've lost some bigger posters since then (or they don't post as much) but a big storm can still draw a crowd.

2 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Does this forum ever have that many posts for a single storm ?

It all depends. A lot of factors come into play. 1st of all this region gets lots of snow storms so it's not like a novelty thing. 2nd of all most storms will affect one part of the sub forum harder than the other. 3rd of all, some forms have more posters and others

So basically if you wanna see a good snowstorm, either move to the northeast, mid atlantic, or deep south. By the way, the deep south also had a major snowstorm in Early December last year with a foot of snow outside of Atlanta. Widespread 10-20 inch snows in NC with this storm. I bet IN and OH wont get a snowstorm of that magnitude outside of the Lake Effect snow areas this winter.

Lmao I hope you are joking. As I said in my above post different areas of the sub forum will get hit harder in most storms than other areas. It is rare to see a storm slam the entire subforum, but it is more common to see a storm affect the entire sub form but in different ways. And it's also silly to cherry pick an isolated spot in the deep South and compare that to the entire subforum. The comparisons you have been making of the midwest to the deep south have been so skewed and incorrect its laughable.

• Like 1

I like the slower threads here, to be honest. This place has some good posters with lots of good things to say. Whereas in some of those big threads that are flying at a mile per minute, lots of the people with good, constructive things to say get drowned out by people that seem like they're just posting for the sake of posting. I'd rather have quality over quantity. Not saying there aren't good posters over there(because there are) but it seems like they're the minority -- especially in bigger events.

• Like 1

Lets face it, the midwest has a reputation among outsiders as a boring part of the country. And then you come to this site and you see the New England and Mid Atlantic forums so active all the time and the Lakes/Ohio Valley is usually dead in comparison.  So maybe there is some truth to the reputation of the midwest being boring.

45 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Lets face it, the midwest has a reputation among outsiders as a boring part of the country. And then you come to this site and you see the New England and Mid Atlantic forums so active all the time and the Lakes/Ohio Valley is usually dead in comparison.  So maybe there is some truth to the reputation of the midwest being boring.

Your negativity is boring.

• Like 3

You're seriously going to compare the Midwest with the NE/Mid Atlantic areas which are the most densely populated areas of the country?  Sorry, I perused the SE boards for many years (still do) when I lived there and if there wasn't a cane or a severe outbreak there wasn't a whole lot to talk about except 95 75 every day during the summer and 40 and rain during the winter.  Sure they got a good snow storm last year and again this year.  It was a pretty "boring" board outside of that last winter.  I can guarantee you if  Cat 3 was ready to make landfall in Chicago the thread would crash this site.  When we get our once or twice a decade "Big Dog" you'll see the lurkers come out.  A 6" snow isn't "that" big of a deal around here.  I think you'll find that the posting here is petty consistent throughout the year no matter the weather extremes, something I really like. And btw, just because you live in a geographic area doesn't limit you to your posts or anything else.  I post and read other areas of the country where I've lived and am familiar with the weather.   Don't judge just because it hasn't happened in the couple years you've been here.

Edit:  You have the right to your opinion and it is respected, kinda a "Midwest" thing.  But for someone that's supposedly from the deep south you certainly sound like a Carpetbagger when you post something like that.  Just rubbed me the wrong way being born in the midwest but spent more than half my life in the deep south.  Peace :deadhorse:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

You're seriously going to compare the Midwest with the NE/Mid Atlantic areas which are the most densely populated areas of the country?  Sorry, I perused the SE boards for many years (still do) when I lived there and if there wasn't a cane or a severe outbreak there wasn't a whole lot to talk about except 95 75 every day during the summer and 40 and rain during the winter.  Sure they got a good snow storm last year and again this year.  It was a pretty "boring" board outside of that last winter.  I can guarantee you if  Cat 3 was ready to make landfall in Chicago the thread would crash this site.  When we get our once or twice a decade "Big Dog" you'll see the lurkers come out.  A 6" snow isn't "that" big of a deal around here.  I think you'll find that the posting here is petty consistent throughout the year no matter the weather extremes, something I really like. And btw, just because you live in a geographic area doesn't limit you to your posts or anything else.  I post and read other areas of the country where I've lived and am familiar with the weather.   Don't judge just because it hasn't happened in the couple years you've been here.

Edit:  You have the right to your opinion and it is respected, kinda a "Midwest" thing.  But for someone that's supposedly from the deep south you certainly sound like a Carpetbagger when you post something like that.  Just rubbed me the wrong way being born in the midwest but spent more than half my life in the deep south.  Peace :deadhorse:

There are way many more people in the midwest than there are in the Mid-Atlantic, yet the Mid Atlantic has double the number of posts. Guess there arent a lot of weather weenies in this part of the country. Even when there isnt a big storm on the horizon,  that forum is pretty active.This forum is a snoozer compared to even the southeast, which also has over 100,000 more posts than the midwest.

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

There are way many more people in the midwest than there are in the Mid-Atlantic, yet the Mid Atlantic has double the number of posts. Guess there arent a lot of weather weenies in this part of the country. Even when there isnt a big storm on the horizon,  that forum is pretty active.This forum is a snoozer compared to even the southeast, which also has over 100,000 more posts than the midwest.

I agree. It seems like the Southeast sub, Mid Atlantic, Northeast, and West all have us beat. The only comparable forum is probably the Tennessee Valley. Again like someone else said it is a good and a bad thing. I'm glad that we don't have a million posts every 5 minutes but again sometimes it is just dead and the same few of us try and get the chat going again.