Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Complaint/Banter Thread

IWXwx

23 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We put an offer in on a house today and it got approved! Sticking in Hamburg for a little longer.

ISad84mx8ua5iz0000000000.jpg

Shes a beaut Clark. Looks like you will have plenty of room for us to come crash your house when we are itching for snow, and your buried in 3’ of the white goodness. 

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2018 at 8:43 PM, cyclone77 said:

That attic vent looks pretty similar to the one from that movie lol  

Indeed, the very first thing that came to mind lol. Almost time to bust that gem of a movie out. 

On 10/30/2018 at 9:46 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone on this forum is welcome to stay during a chase. :)

You’re gonna regret saying that :lol: awesome house though. It’s on my bucket list to experience an epic lake effect event. I get hyped from a 6-8” storm, couldn’t imagine 3-5’ lol. 

• Haha 1

I have not raked once yet.  Certainly time now as a lot of leaves have fallen in the past week to 10 days, but it sucks being out there in winter temperatures.  Just feels unnatural compared to shoveling snow.  I guess I will have to pick my spots later this month when it warms up.  Didn't do the final clean last year until December.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I have not raked once yet.  Certainly time now as a lot of leaves have fallen in the past week to 10 days, but it sucks being out there in winter temperatures.  Just feels unnatural compared to shoveling snow.  I guess I will have to pick my spots later this month when it warms up.  Didn't do the final clean last year until December.

You are not hardcore. I have been raking for over a week now already. And I am even a little south of you. You are correct though. Put enough clothes to be warm out and you will be sweating up a storm with the exercise of raking.

• Like 1

The city tore down the neighboring house a few years ago. I bought the empty lot 2 years ago for $50. I bought a rider to mow it and took out all of the sad looking trees except for one large maple. I use the mower to mulch/blow the leaves. Makes for a much simpler cleanup. My wife thought she was being funny when she named the mower and put the decal on it.

red timmer.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Chambana said:

Is anyone else concerned about the fast start to winter? Even the legendary winter of 2013-2014 didn’t start until the first week of December. 

I’m concerned/thinking we’ll snap back to above average temps in December to balance out this cold November. I have absolutely no scientific proof to back up my thoughts other than seeing it happen in the past more times then not. I do recall Fall/winter of 2003-04 starting out kinda like this though in northern Michigan and never really warming up till Spring so who knows, maybe Winter will start early without a big flip back to above average temps. We’ll see in a few months.

6 hours ago, Chambana said:

Is anyone else concerned about the fast start to winter? Even the legendary winter of 2013-2014 didn’t start until the first week of December. 

November 2013 had well below average temperatures here, however only a few light snows. Snowfall actually finished a few tenths of an inch below average, certainly not a precursor to the all time record snow fall that would occur over the next 4-5 months.  I've heard several forecasts calling for cold cold cold this Winter with the exception of a mile December. Who knows what will happen.

Well, this autumn has pretty much sucked. After that great first 10 days of October with highs in the 70's and 80's, the switch flipped and FWA's temps have been at or below normal (including several days of well below normal) on 27 of the past 31 days. The only consolation is an early season of tracking stat padders. Worst climo®.

P.S. We couldn't even cough up a good severe outbreak.

• Like 1

Hoosier and Chicagowx will be glad to know that Chad is still alive and well in the LAF. Just saw this on NWSChat:

(12 Nov 10:10 PM) media-chad.a.evans: 0.4" snow on the snowboard as of 10:06 p.m. at 2 W West Lafayette in the Purdue Research Park. Grass, trees, cars, roofs whitened, roads wet. Steady light snow continues. 0.07" liquid.

20 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Hoosier and Chicagowx will be glad to know that Chad is still alive and well in the LAF. Just saw this on NWSChat:

(12 Nov 10:10 PM) media-chad.a.evans: 0.4" snow on the snowboard as of 10:06 p.m. at 2 W West Lafayette in the Purdue Research Park. Grass, trees, cars, roofs whitened, roads wet. Steady light snow continues. 0.07" liquid.

Oh, he already knows.  I was giddy to mention it to him.  :lol:

• Like 1

The wireless transmitter on my Davis VP2 died a few days ago.  Only a few years old.  Had the Davis Vue for 5 years with no issues, but have only had the VP2 a little over 2yrs before this issue.  Not too impressed.  It's about $120 for a new transmitter.  For those who are looking to buy the more expensive VP2, I'd just stick with the cheaper Vue.  It's not quite as accurate, but still pretty darn close.  The price difference really isn't worth it IMO.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

The wireless transmitter on my Davis VP2 died a few days ago.  Only a few years old.  Had the Davis Vue for 5 years with no issues, but have only had the VP2 a little over 2yrs before this issue.  Not too impressed.  It's about $120 for a new transmitter.  For those who are looking to buy the more expensive VP2, I'd just stick with the cheaper Vue.  It's not quite as accurate, but still pretty darn close.  The price difference really isn't worth it IMO.

I agree about the price. If I were purchase a new station, I would probably go with the Vue. However, I am running a Vantage Pro that I purchased in 2003 and it still works. I did have to use some stuff to take the oxidation off of the solar panel once.

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I agree about the price. If I were purchase a new station, I would probably go with the Vue. However, I am running a Vantage Pro that I purchased in 2003 and it still works. I did have to use some stuff to take the oxidation off of the solar panel once.

Definitely got your money's worth with that. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Don’t want to get too far OT, but thought I’d mention - if you bought it with a credit card, check to see if that card has extended warranty protection. Almost every amex does, almost every visa signature (regardless as to the bank, if it says ‘signature’ on the front), every visa infinite, most MasterCard world, and almost every MasterCard world elite. They extend 1 year or long manufacturers warranties by 1-3 years depending on card.

I discovered this perk in the last few years and now that I’m doing better at remembering I have it, I’ve used it several times - almost too good to be true.
  • Like 1

It has been exactly 5 years since the Washington, IL tornado, during an SPC high-risk day with a 30% hatched area for tornadoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_of_November_17,_2013#East_Peoria–Washington–Long_Point,_Illinois

Tracking 46.36 mi (74.61 km) across four counties in Illinois, the EF4 tornado that caused major damage in Washington, Illinois was the strongest tornado documented in the state for the month of November since reliable records began in 1950

5 hours ago, Chinook said:

It has been exactly 5 years since the Washington, IL tornado, during an SPC high-risk day with a 30% hatched area for tornadoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_of_November_17,_2013#East_Peoria–Washington–Long_Point,_Illinois

Amazing that it has been five years already. Was the last time for a tornado here in town. One of the county sheriff car was prepositioned in just the right place and turned in the proper direction and caught the tornado on his dash cam. I should drive through that part of town where five or so homes were damaged and see if I can tell it had happened. Do not make to that part of town in my normal movements.