• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Carvers Gap

Wahoo! I normally wouldn't stay up this late but I'm sure school will be at least delayed and it's coming down pretty good! :snowing:

IMG_20181127_023329.jpg

IMG_20181127_023100.jpg

Now I'm usually not this giddy but when a squall comes through real early in the season out of the blue it feels just that much better. If someday I move further south the lack of snow is going to be a drag but on the other hand the novelty and rarity of the snow help me appreciate it more. If I moved up north I'd probably get a little tired of the mini six sided falling water ice crystals. I like it up here every year you know it's gonna snow but the question of how much always comes up. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Wow, it is really cold out there.  Just finished doing leaves....but that one tree is taking its time.  Wind chills are in the 20s.  Figured I would get the yard cleaned up after the windy weekend that we had.  

Don't get me started on leaves!!!  Spent a few hours a a week and a half ago using the leaf blower to clear the yard, then come back from NYC yesterday and looks like every tree in the Northern Hemisphere exploded over our house while we were gone.  I just had that defeated Maytag Man look on my face when we pulled in the driveway.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 1234snow said:

Just drove through a really nice snow shower in Bristol. Really interesting band has set up south of Kingsport today. Nothing much in SWVA today.

We got a little more action up here. I haven't been able to take a measurement being held in the school but I expect there should be a few more tenths of an inch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Really interesting band has set up south of Kingsport today

I'm glad you mentioned this. I never would have thought to look at radar, but that is an odd band! It looks like it is coming straight off of Bays Mountain. I would normally see that as a downslope, but in this case it obviously isn't. Wonder what is causing it. 

Seems like there was something like this with a similar trajectory north of Knoxville last winter.

I made a gif of it case anyone wants to see later on: https://imgur.com/a/76Z8AHw

• Like 1

We got a little more action up here. I haven't been able to take a measurement being held in the school but I expect there should be a few more tenths of an inch.

I was in Lebanon for most of today and there wasn’t much to write home about. But I’m not sure if Honaker gets more than south of there.
  • Like 2

Wake convergence appears to be the driver. 

14 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I never would have thought to look at radar, but that is an odd band! It looks like it is coming straight off of Bays Mountain. I would normally see that as a downslope, but in this case it obviously isn't. Wonder what is causing it. 

Seems like there was something like this with a similar trajectory north of Knoxville last winter.

I made a gif of it case anyone wants to see later on: https://imgur.com/a/76Z8AHw

Drag of the mountain causes low level winds to slow next to it; keep ambient wind speed farther off to the sides. So the winds try to curve around the mountain and meet up in the wake. The meeting causes low level convergence. Viola! Snow. 

Bernoulli Effect could add to the curve around, with the speed-up phenomenon occurring just outside the friction zone. At any rate, I also remember seeing this last year. Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

I was in Lebanon for most of today and there wasn’t much to write home about. But I’m not sure if Honaker gets more than south of there.

Flurries were consistent throughout today but didn't result in much more accumulation. Maybe a 0.1 but it's negligible. Since I don't have a snowboard I measure on a piece of light gray porcelain tile I place evenly on the yard. Sometimes a breeze can make the snow uneven and make a measurement tricky. Anymore I avoid taking a measurement on grass because it can exaggerate the measurement so I measure on the tile anyway and try to find a good place to mark the accumulation on it. As a general rule Lebanon is snowier than Castlewood and Honaker is snowier than Lebanon. What's funny is Lebanon sits 200ft higher in elevation but is typically warmer. For whatever reason no matter where you stand it always seems to be colder the further upstream the Clinch River Valley you go. I'm glad you guys in the Tri-Cities got some real snowfall from that band.  I'm curious for what the measurement at the airport will be.

7 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Closest traffic camera I could find to the band that appears to be still on going and fluctuating on radar.

Snow band.PNG

That should be the Colonial Heights exit based on the look and the exit number.  That was the area that I mentioned where MRX had place a special weather statement.  Pretty crazy.  I was about five miles away as a crow flies and just saw minimal flurries and snow showers.  

@nrgjeff, was that Bays Mountain that was causing that?  It sits directly upstream from that band.

• Like 2

Had a light dusting on rooftops, cars, and grass overnight. Russellville, Only 2 miles away probably had 1/4in on cars and rooftops. The west side of town really had nothing. Amazing even around here at the differences between east and west Hamblen Co.  Otherwise flurries were around during the day, but the big story was the temp. It stayed below freezing all day. Topped out at 30 degrees today.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Steady snow has picked up after dark. It tends to do that here in flow events. Otherwise bitter cold, midnight high of 29, temps went down all day long. 

Pretty impressive for late November.  Helps solidify a solidly below normal month in the temperature department.

Snow showers and flurries at my office in Erwin today.  Nice to see some scoring snow in the air, and in some cases on the ground!

• Like 1