• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Solak

Florence Observations

11.8" of rain here in northern Cumberland County (Linden), just north of Fayetteville.  Several trees down in a low wet area behind my house.  No power now for just over 48 hours.

I spoke with my brother in Wilmington and it is BAD down there, he is stuck where he is at home as there is flooding within a half mile of him in either direction.

• Thanks 2

Still have side street flooding here, but walked up to my section of Fayetteville road and saw a gas line, power out through the area, and a lot of cars out on the road. Water has been receding here today with little rain, but of course river flooding is going to become the next concern over time.

Been raining non stop all day and the hardest rains by far here in Union.  Have white water rapids in front and next to our house from a small drainage ditch being overwhelmed. 

We have some family in Indian Trail and the only two roads to their neighborhood  are closed because they have flooded so they couldn’t leave if they wanted/needed to.  

D64A7995-C992-4324-AF26-10F6E59A7F5C.jpeg

Although being in the north and east section of North Carolina my location has not had many of the horrendous consequences of Florence, this is the second day in a row that I have gotten in an absolutely vicious training feeder band. Precip rates very heavy.

Can't figure out how to add text so here goes. 1st picture shows my fence. The posts were snapped at the ground level as they had 2 bags of cement to hold them in after Irene pulled them out. 2nd pic shows downed power lines. 3rd pic shows high water mark on road as it dips down to cross over creek near me and 4th pic shows large tree limb down.

• Like 1

Little over 4'' here so far,HRRR has the back edge coming through in 4-5 hours so another inch or so is possible.No 12''-15''as was hyped but there's a good bit of water standing,people still getting around the area ok for now.

Carry on.

Radar is loaded for the triad now.  Just drove back from VA through Danbury and Walnut Cove.  Lots of big branches coming out of trees into the roads.  Lots of road flooding out of ditches.  The Dan River was as high as I have seen in a long while and there will be inches of rain still to fall over the next day or so.  Gonna get ugly.

Also, Forsyth County schools 2 hr delay tomorrow.

A little over 10” here, about 25 miles removed from the 12-15” totals and 30 miles south 20” plus.  Creek is still in flood stage and dumping some water in to the back 40, Tar basin dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

I've tried attaching photos but it keeps telling me they are too large. We have a tiny stream in our backyard that has been dried up for a long time until this summer. In August it flooded really bad. I have a feeling it is going to flood our entire backyard like it did in August. We decided to have a little fun when it first began to fill up this afternoon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 9/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, Solak said:

One of the 200 or so that stayed on Ocracoke Island is Tweeting the storm.

@JohnMoretti5 7m7 minutes ago

Update: For those wondering; dog has plenty of food and water. Winds are really picking up here and I’ve lost several shingles from my roof. Water is rising. If I said I wasn’t nervous, I’d be lying. #HurricanceFlorence #Florence

His account came back on, but seems that either the whole thing was fake, or someone got hold of his account since it went off the air. Too bad. I was enjoying reading the posts.

Reason I checked back was a tweet from MHX indicating there was not much damage on Ocracoke.

Eta: forgot the link...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnMoretti5

Severe Weather Statement

National Weather Service Wilmington NC

1043 PM EDT SUN SEP 16 2018

NCC047-170300-

/O.CON.KILM.TO.W.0031.000000T0000Z-180917T0300Z/

Columbus NC-

1043 PM EDT SUN SEP 16 2018

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM EDT FOR CENTRAL

COLUMBUS COUNTY...

At 1043 PM EDT, a confirmed tornado was located over Sidney, or 11

miles southwest of Whiteville, moving north at 15 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without 

shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage 

to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree damage is 

likely.

Locations impacted include...

Sidney and Williams. 

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a tornado is on the ground. TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a

basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy

building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in

a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect

yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 3416 7878 3418 7884 3431 7881 3426 7870

TIME...MOT...LOC 0243Z 201DEG 14KT 3419 7881 

TORNADO...OBSERVED

HAIL...0.00IN

Tornado warning in Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough area.  Just torrential rain most of the night and strong thunderstorms the last few hours.  WRAL just showed 3 inches an hour rainfall here.  Wild stuff.  Lots of flooding locally right in middle of kids going to school here.  Crazy the one day they have school is during the worst weather here.

I ended up with 4.99 inches of rainfall for Friday through this morning.  (Perhaps I'll get one more one hundredth of an inch of rainfall later today to bring it to an even 5 inches.)  So, the truly epic rainfall amounts showing up on several runs of both the GFS and ECMWF for my area never materialized.  I'm good with that.  Unfortunately, those to my south and east seemed to pick up the extra rainfall that I didn't get.  What a horrible disaster this is for SE NC and NE SC.