• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Florence Observations

Solak

Radar is loaded for the triad now.  Just drove back from VA through Danbury and Walnut Cove.  Lots of big branches coming out of trees into the roads.  Lots of road flooding out of ditches.  The Dan River was as high as I have seen in a long while and there will be inches of rain still to fall over the next day or so.  Gonna get ugly.

Also, Forsyth County schools 2 hr delay tomorrow.

I've tried attaching photos but it keeps telling me they are too large. We have a tiny stream in our backyard that has been dried up for a long time until this summer. In August it flooded really bad. I have a feeling it is going to flood our entire backyard like it did in August. We decided to have a little fun when it first began to fill up this afternoon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 9/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, Solak said:

One of the 200 or so that stayed on Ocracoke Island is Tweeting the storm.

@JohnMoretti5 7m7 minutes ago

Update: For those wondering; dog has plenty of food and water. Winds are really picking up here and I’ve lost several shingles from my roof. Water is rising. If I said I wasn’t nervous, I’d be lying. #HurricanceFlorence #Florence

His account came back on, but seems that either the whole thing was fake, or someone got hold of his account since it went off the air. Too bad. I was enjoying reading the posts.

Reason I checked back was a tweet from MHX indicating there was not much damage on Ocracoke.

Eta: forgot the link...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnMoretti5

Tornado warning in Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough area.  Just torrential rain most of the night and strong thunderstorms the last few hours.  WRAL just showed 3 inches an hour rainfall here.  Wild stuff.  Lots of flooding locally right in middle of kids going to school here.  Crazy the one day they have school is during the worst weather here.

I ended up with 4.99 inches of rainfall for Friday through this morning.  (Perhaps I'll get one more one hundredth of an inch of rainfall later today to bring it to an even 5 inches.)  So, the truly epic rainfall amounts showing up on several runs of both the GFS and ECMWF for my area never materialized.  I'm good with that.  Unfortunately, those to my south and east seemed to pick up the extra rainfall that I didn't get.  What a horrible disaster this is for SE NC and NE SC.

Ended up with 5.5" here and I think we gusted into the low 50's on Friday. I saw several small trees and large limbs down around my area when I was able to get out of the house this weekend. Radar estimates show most of the area within a 15 mile radius of me picked up 6 to 8. So I was just shy of that. Overall a lot of rain, but pales in comparison to what's going on down east...

The Deep River hit a all time record Crest last night. The final chapter for Florence is fixing to be written this week, espeacilly SE NC for river flooding. Hate it for those along the Cape Fear, espeacilly in Wilmington as it will be pushing all time record flood crest.

The forecast for 6 to 10 across Randolph unfortunately materialized. 

The Dan River here in Danville is going to push its record high at this gauge. Keep in mind this gauge has only been in place for about 25 years so it didn't get the floods of the 1970's. We have had about 4.5 inches of rain here but upstream got anywhere between 7 and 10. South Boston, VA will get it really bad with flooding and a lot of downtown will be underwater by tomorrow. 

dvlv2_hg.png

2 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

The Deep River hit a all time record Crest last night. The final chapter for Florence is fixing to be written this week, espeacilly SE NC for river flooding. Hate it for those along the Cape Fear, espeacilly in Wilmington as it will be pushing all time record flood crest.

Still has a ways to go to hit the ~80K CFS mark from 1945, but it's still the second highest flow since the USGS gauge was installed in the 1930s. Currently at 61K and rising quickly. There are river flow records broken or soon to be broken all over NC this week.

That 1945 flood, also resulting from a tropical system, was what ultimately led to the construction of B. Everett Jordan Lake in Moncure.

Deep.png

My friends have a house on the Black River near Ivanhoe, NC. It sits on a bluff around 20-25 feet above it. Floyd got to the top off the bluff. Matthew got to the base of their house. And now the river gauge is showing a foot higher than Matthew. Unbelievable that this area has seen historic flooding 3 times in the last 20 years.

2 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

Wilmington NC has officially had its wettest year on record going back to 1871. Still has over 3 months to go. Currently sitting at 86.22

The state Record is in the Mountains. Roseman has that claim to fame at 129.6 set in 1964

Rosman has a micro climate of it's own here in WNC. Almost like a temperate rainforest climate.

7 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

Yep.  It was a long time coming but I ended up with just over 6".  Almost five inches came yesterday evening.

6 hours ago, toller65 said:

Does anyone have a link to NWS rainfall totals from Florence for NC and SC?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NWS Eastern RegionVerified account @NWSEastern 2h2 hours ago

Updated Hurricane Florence rainfall totals for North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia as of 2 pm Monday September 17th.

DnUXzmqW0AAZFB0.jpg
DnUX0A7WsAYflon.jpg
DnUX0d4XoAEFHkT.jpg