Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Florence Observations

Solak

FLOODING AND DOWNED TREES MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS IN NC

I-95 CLOSED THROUGH CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA
I-95 is closed in both directions between Exit 138 (US 64) and Exit 65 (NC-82) near Dunn, due to flooding and a crash.

Through traffic from I-95 in Georgia is advised to use 
I-16 West to
I-75 North to
I-81 North to
I-64 East back to I-95 in Virginia.

Traffic from I-95 in Virginia is advised to use
I-64 West to
I-81 South to
I-75 South to
I-16 East back to I-95 in Georgia.

I-40 CLOSED BETWEEN WILMINGTON AND I-95
All Lanes of I-40 are closed in both directions near Warsaw between Exit 364 (NC-24) and Exit 369 (US-117) due to flooding.

1 hour ago, ander420 said:

I worked down that way for several years, at UNCP in Robeson County.  So not a good place for flooding - terribly flat, the Lumber River right there, and such a economically down area of the state.  This corner of NC is pretty poor, but the people are some the greatest I have ever met in my life.  It might sound trite to say it, but it reminds me of growing up a long time ago where people looked out for each other, did the best with what they have, and the community was more than the person living next to you for a couple years.  If this goes as bad as it might, I would really suggest this be a place where focused donations be aimed.

I'm a Robesonian and proud of it. We get a bad rap lots of times and sometimes deservedly. However, our people came together in a wonderful and powerful way after Hurricane Matthew, and we're going to do it again after this storm.

Already water rescues starting here. Many of the same areas flooding as two years ago. This is what folks came together to do yesterday to try to protect our community. https://www.robesonian.com/news/115395/5000-sandbags-two-berms-in-place-at-i-95-bridge

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

God please help this storm to move much faster and weaken. I can't even imagine what southeast NC is going through with those relentless rain bands. Hopefully the rain bands weaken and move on. God please have a lot of mercy on the people of North and South Carolina.

Not gonna happen looking at the radar.  Florence still dropping the hammer for many more hours.  She's still feeding off the ocean.  If the flooding wasnt already out of control, it sure will be by the end of today.  

If anyone has family left in that area that has not evacuated, get them out.  This cleanup will take weeks, not hours, not days.

My family lives in Hope Mills, in SW Cumberland county.  Many of the houses around then got flooded out in Matthew but they were lucky.  Hoping they make it through this one as well.  One of my cousins's houses got completely flooded out.  Took them months to recover.  I would not be surprised if it happens again.

Meanwhile, in Wilson, "only" 7.10 and a light drizzle now. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone, finally getting a chance to check in. We are safe and sound. We lost power Thursday evening and it will be down for a long while. Numerous lines are down leading to our neighborhood. my house is fine and no flooding as I am on high ground. I lost part of my fence and a large limb but that is all. We picked up 10.5" as of Friday night. I am now in Virginia Beach staying with my brother as the house got too warm and humid to enjoy. My work has signal that they will be closed until further notice which probably means all next week. This storm was much worse that anything else I have been in including Irene. In less than 2 years I will get a chance to retire and we will leave to coast and head far inland. I am done with Hurricanes. Pictures will come later.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Hey everyone, finally getting a chance to check in. We are safe and sound. We lost power Thursday evening and it will be down for a long while. Numerous lines are down leading to our neighborhood. my house is fine and no flooding as I am on high ground. I lost part of my fence and a large limb but that is all. We picked up 10.5" as of Friday night. I am now in Virginia Beach staying with my brother as the house got too warm and humid to enjoy. My work has signal that they will be closed until further notice which probably means all next week. This storm was much worse that anything else I have been in including Irene. In less than 2 years I will get a chance to retire and we will leave to coast and head far inland. I am done with Hurricanes. Pictures will come later.

Good to hear from you, Glad you're safe and house did not get flooded!!! 

• Like 2

The water has risen significantly in Lumberton in the last 3 hours. Some of the heaviest rain of the storm for that time period. Several boat rescues. Street in front of my house is flooded, which didn't happen during Matthew. Hard to believe this is happening again less than two years later. People were more prepared but the damage will be catastrophic.

33 minutes ago, Kraychav said:

The water has risen significantly in Lumberton in the last 3 hours. Some of the heaviest rain of the storm for that time period. Several boat rescues. Street in front of my house is flooded, which didn't happen during Matthew. Hard to believe this is happening again less than two years later. People were more prepared but the damage will be catastrophic.

Are there many trees down there?

7 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Not gonna happen looking at the radar.  Florence still dropping the hammer for many more hours.  She's still feeding off the ocean.  If the flooding wasnt already out of control, it sure will be by the end of today.  

If anyone has family left in that area that has not evacuated, get them out.  This cleanup will take weeks, not hours, not days.

GFS indicates another nine inches; the NAM indicates another 18 inches;  WRF-ARW indicates another 28 inches;  WRF-NMM indicates another 29 inches; the RAP indicates another 16 inches, and the HRRR indicates a further 27 inches. These projected amounts of rain are ON TOP OF WHAT HAS ALREADY FALLEN.

I heard that some parts of NC have received up to 30 inches of rain so far. If the NMM is right, and I hope to God that it is dead WRONG, the rain amounts would be similar to Harvey last year.

11.8" of rain here in northern Cumberland County (Linden), just north of Fayetteville.  Several trees down in a low wet area behind my house.  No power now for just over 48 hours.

I spoke with my brother in Wilmington and it is BAD down there, he is stuck where he is at home as there is flooding within a half mile of him in either direction.

• Thanks 2

Been raining non stop all day and the hardest rains by far here in Union.  Have white water rapids in front and next to our house from a small drainage ditch being overwhelmed. 

We have some family in Indian Trail and the only two roads to their neighborhood  are closed because they have flooded so they couldn’t leave if they wanted/needed to.  

D64A7995-C992-4324-AF26-10F6E59A7F5C.jpeg

Can't figure out how to add text so here goes. 1st picture shows my fence. The posts were snapped at the ground level as they had 2 bags of cement to hold them in after Irene pulled them out. 2nd pic shows downed power lines. 3rd pic shows high water mark on road as it dips down to cross over creek near me and 4th pic shows large tree limb down.

• Like 1