Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Florence Observations

Solak

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

8nyx8xf.png

Still pouring here and all the guidance has things continuing all day. 

WxWatcher,  Do you still have power?  The State and Progress Energy will need to get those crews into Lumberton to restore power later today or tomorrow latest before the river floods everything out on Monday or Tues and access is cut off for a week.

1 minute ago, Solak said:

4.57" yesterday. 2 day storm total 5.80"

no power since 7:25 last night

we are lucky the power grid is all underground for the most part and its gotta really gust up over 60-70 a lot to lose power....I heard 15-20 transformers pop Thurs night into yesterday morning and never had more than a brownout or two....

rain total is hard to determine, its somewhere between 9-12" this last band of storms gave me 1-1.5" in just 30 mins and the yards around here are all underwater this is my back corner and my two neighbors yards...

1957793924_yard2.thumb.jpg.15a0720b74635dbfdeb6022dc856a33c.jpg

I need to get to Charleston from Rocky Mount NC - daughter is having baby tomorrow ... DOT says 95 closed around Dunn . Wants to re route me to Hickory !!!!

Can anyone pinpoint roads off 95 that are flooded - I was thinking 95 to 40 to Clinton back to 95 around Lumberton -- once past Lumberton should be good to charleston

Lumber River not supposed to Crest until Monday

30 minutes ago, Chubbiegull said:

I need to get to Charleston from Rocky Mount NC - daughter is having baby tomorrow ... DOT says 95 closed around Dunn . Wants to re route me to Hickory !!!!

Can anyone pinpoint roads off 95 that are flooded - I was thinking 95 to 40 to Clinton back to 95 around Lumberton -- once past Lumberton should be good to charleston

No way they would recommend Hickory.  There have to be 15-20 routes south you could take before that.  Just go 64 to Raleigh and then South to Fayetteville.  If they were only recommending interstates then they wouldnt have to go further than 85 to Charlotte and then back to 95.  

Hickory is crazy.  Who recommended that?

1 hour ago, Chubbiegull said:

I suppose the baby will be named Florence? (Florio if it's a boy)

And, congratulations. 

Just got power back that we lost about 24 hrs ago

0.40" Thursday

5.45" yesterday

1.64" so far today but with all the blowing hard to say.

Couple trees down, saw a trailer up the road that lost a roof but overall could be worse and is just to my SE across 95. 

1 hour ago, Chubbiegull said:

Take 64 west to Asheboro, then 49 south to Charlotte, then 77 south through Columbia. 

4 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Those poor folks in SeNC.  Look at the neverending fetch on radar.  They are getting destroyed with rain right now and likely for the 12 hours.  Easily another foot of rain.  Then they have to worry about how much falls west of them.  

Florence has left a very, very large mark on the state.

I worked down that way for several years, at UNCP in Robeson County.  So not a good place for flooding - terribly flat, the Lumber River right there, and such a economically down area of the state.  This corner of NC is pretty poor, but the people are some the greatest I have ever met in my life.  It might sound trite to say it, but it reminds me of growing up a long time ago where people looked out for each other, did the best with what they have, and the community was more than the person living next to you for a couple years.  If this goes as bad as it might, I would really suggest this be a place where focused donations be aimed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2