Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Florence Observations

Solak

13 hours ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

Landfall Wrightsville Beach. Gusty here in the north part of the state.

Eyewall passed directly over me then it was quite then all hell broke loose my lil weather station measured 110mph wind gust before a oak tree took it off my garage roof,. HEAVY damage here at my house,, huge live oak down, lots of debris. Lucky to still be alive.lucky none took out the house On genator back up. Whole city without power I'm told.Bout broke my leg 4,am starting genator. Sry ty PP ing on little phone one handed. Internet is down here

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, SENC said:

Eyewall passed directly over me then it was quite then all hell broke loose my lil weather station measured 110mph wind gust before a oak tree took it off my garage roof,. HEAVY damage here at my house,, huge live oak down, lots of debris. Lucky to still be alive.lucky none took out the house On genator back up. Whole city without power I'm told.Bout broke my leg 4,am starting genator. Sry ty PP ing on little phone one handed. Internet is down here

glad you are safe!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SENC said:

Wow! Hang in there man. Best wishes and thanks for the report.

19 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Per radar, it should be hammering in raleigh right now.  Anybody have a report or is everyone without power?

I'm in Zebulon and it was pouring and winds kicking about 20 mins ago.  We've never lost power though it did flicker multiple times in the last 24 hrs.  Seems to be settling down though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Per radar, it should be hammering in raleigh right now.  Anybody have a report or is everyone without power?

I'm a bit too N to make a true Raleigh observation. But I've got WRAL on right now, and they say it's the rain is coming down fairly steady.

At my place on the Wake/Durham line, we've got gusting winds, but not coming down in buckets at the moment.

Wghp was showing river Crest forecast. I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday, the Cape Fear River in Fayetteville is supose to Crest at 62. Flood stage is like 32.  Yadkin River up triad way is supose to Crest like 33, flood stage is 17. 

The River Flooding that's coming early next week is gonna be worse than what's happened so far in tallying everything up from Florence. I'm afraid the worse is yet to come from this storm.

• Like 1

Its been raining here for what seems like forever now.....luckily I have managed to just stay on the north edge of that insane band that setup but still have had 8-10" and am currently under another smaller band that just setup off the Pamilco.....hopefully it is short lived but it looks like its trying to persist some.

I took a ride earlier saw some trees down but really wind damage was light we probably never gusted more than 60ish.....the water though was high.... many ditches and creeks where up to the road and with this last hr or so of 1-3" a hr rates I am sure many have water over them now....

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

Since the center of rotation has picked up speed (a very little) and now moving wsw instead of just w, it looks like there is some reduction in precip across northern wake county, but very little

I've been watching it approach me all evening but it never arrives. The smaller cells that appeared north of the main precip slid by just north of me. The main precip is very slowly moving west toward me but it also has slid south just enough to keep me high and dry so far. 0.02" for the day. It does look like I will get into it during the night.

Stunning to see that widespread area of 15”+ and nws radar does not have a higher color value. The one feeder to the north has been drowning the same area for hours. Anyone been under that? The last hourly total showed some 3-4” in an hour.

doesnt this kind of rain just penetrate way down and saturate the soils  with lingering problems that are rare and hard to solve?

4 hours ago, Tenman Johnson said:

Stunning to see that widespread area of 15”+ and nws radar does not have a higher color value. The one feeder to the north has been drowning the same area for hours. Anyone been under that? The last hourly total showed some 3-4” in an hour.

doesnt this kind of rain just penetrate way down and saturate the soils  with lingering problems that are rare and hard to solve?

In my experience yes, the ground just turns to jello and trees flop over if you look at them sideways for a while after the storm has passed. You also get trees that were on the edge of being unhealthy and they soak it up like a sponge and branches randomly fall for a while afterwards too. You'll also see streets get wavy when big trucks drive past if the underlying road bed isn't thick and properly built. 

The downstream flooding with this will be historic.  The flooding that occured as a result of surge in places like Kinston and New Bern was bad enough.  I worry they havent seen the worst.  3/4ths of the state is going to get 5+" of rain.  Most of the upstream network will get more than that.  And the rivers were already running high from rains earlier last week.

A lot of folks still need to be evacuating.

Down around Swift Creek, it's been gusty off and on, but never too extreme. Power has flickered a few times, but survived. I think the pruning around the lines that they did sometime last winter (IIRC) along Yates Mill has helped us a lot.

I feel like we've dodged a bullet so far, here.