Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Florence Observations

Solak

26 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

17 sustained, highest gust I've had so far is 31 about 3 hours ago. Heavy, thick dark grey clouds and had a fizzle drizzle about 15 minutes ago while I was making a milk and bread run for a neighbor.

Why would a person by milk prior to experiencing the effects of a hurricane?  If the power goes out, the milk will spoil.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Freeze it now so they can have it for later

24 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Coolers with ice do wonders!

21 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

Yeti is the best investment I have made is a while.

You guys must really like your milk, then.  I think I can do without for a few days, if needed.  :D

I'd rather load up on other beverages and snacks instead of bread and milk.  I've never understood the fascination with these two products for winter storm prep either.  Hurricane prepping with these seems even more nonsensical.

• Like 1

^I wonder if the color-coding in Wake county is a function of greater population density rather than worse conditions.  If people live closer together in Wake County than, say, Johnston County, then the same geographically-sized area in Wake would affect many more people than that same-sized area would in Johnston.

However, the red shading for Carteret County probably means that literally everyone (~70K people) is without power there.

Interestingly enough the weather station at the Bald Head Island conservancy seems to indicate the island really got spared here. Highest wind gust so far is 62mph. About 5.7 inches of rain. The track of the storm, pushing right front quadrant way north, then coming inland at Wrightsville and jogging west before the eye got to Bald Head, may have saved the place a lot of damage. Hard to know for sure as no one is there right now, and will take a few days to get a good look but may be some good news for an area many thought might really get hit hard

• Like 2

This is what you call a slow destruction. No quick storm that comes in does damage and then leaves. This has a storm that continues to rain with wind squalls; which then start to drop trees one by one. After some time you go from a few folks without power to many folks without power.  

Currently heavy rain / windy, with power fluctuations