• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter 2018

Carvers Gap

Regarding the UT / GA-Tech game - I was listening on the radio and Kessling said the crew was a Final Four crew, so they were calling the game tight.  Also, early in the season there's always "points of emphasis" that officials enforce, so they tend to call the games a bit more strict to get the point(s) across.  It usually calms down as the season goes on. 

My two cents.....not an official/referee....just MANY years working in the sports/athletic realm.

• Like 4

Going to be chilling over the next couple of weeks.  So if you see fewer posts, don’t interpret that as a change in thinking....see my last post in the winter spec thread.  That is where I am.  I think things get pretty interesting around early Dec.  Not much to add at this point.  I will definitely make some comments as events are picked-up.  The net has been cast.  Now it is time to see what comes back in it.  Time to rest up.  I suspect things get hopping in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

I am a little concerned seeing the long range GEFS and EPS seemingly hugging, dating, and sleeping together the last couple of days.  It's like bizzaro world where cats and dogs are getting along, the Hatfield and McCoys are eating together, Vols and Alabama fans sharing a beer together..........etc...

Yeah...I state this every year.  In the IDF(Israeli Defense Force), if everyone is in agreement...then someone has to take the role of antagonist.  :raining:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was so hopeful after Auburn, then again last week after Kentucky.  Maybe Florida Atlantic can go 6-6 and we can too. Hey, they just have to beat Charlotte ;) .  I feel like if we lose to Kiffin at the end, any sort of a curse might be broken.  Lose to Butch, then Dooley, then Kiffin  this year and finally the wheels of time are turned back and we get a clean slate in fall 2019? 

34 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Les Miles to Kansas. Wow! Hats off to LSU fans. Lots of tweets, Geaux Jayhawks. We will take the support.

"It would be far from me to say that it ever rained Saturday night in Tiger Stadium. But it was very close to rain, if not a very stiff dew." ~ Les Miles

....the man is a walking quote machine.  And that dude has some serious good fortune. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never seen anything like this before, and the GFS has spit out some weird stuff. Putting it here because I'm not sure it contributes to the overall discussion in the Fall/ Winter threads (more of a what the *&^% is that moment for me), but the whole CONUS in negative 500mb geopotential height anomalies. 

gfs_z500aNorm_namer_39.png

Coworker used to have a Les Miles quotes calendar. I need to find one for 2019. 

21 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

"It would be far from me to say that it ever rained Saturday night in Tiger Stadium. But it was very close to rain, if not a very stiff dew." ~ Les Miles

....the man is a walking quote machine.  And that dude has some serious good fortune. 

Chiefs and Rams had a high scoring college type game. Regrettably the Chiefs could not beat both the Rams and the Refs at the same time. Tough assignment, but Mahomes almost prevailed!

Finally good luck to both Tennessee and Kansas in the NIT Tip Off. Hope we meet!

Kansas gave me a little scare; actually, Marquette gave us a little scare. Second half KU took care of business. Tennessee game was good too, a little more defense. Auburn played Duke well, held up better than Kentucky. Then Gonzaga took down Duke? Really!

Anyway Tennessee and Kansas meet on Friday. It's happening!

image.jpeg.1a95a929e3e15fc742fbc9d0f1b78d6c.jpeg

If the cold pattern survives the long weekend I will have much more to say on the weather threads. Enjoy all the long- weekend sports!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Safe travels if you do so.

• Like 4

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Despite all the problems and negativity, and I am plenty guilty of it myself, we are still a blessed country and nation of people. I also would like to say that I am very thankful for this forum and for the people who post here. It is a wonderful community and an avenue to excercise my love of meteorology and science. A big thanks to all of you! Here's to a full belly and many good conversations today. Cheers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Never thought in a million years we'd all be so glad college basketball is here..LOL.Just saying,we most all suck in college football with an exception of Alabama fans here and there but the majority of posters here that post are Tn Vols,Jeff (Kansas) me Auburn we all suck..lol.NFL i'm a Jag fan(sucks) most other here are Titans(sucks) not sure who Jeff likes.Think most here are Preds fans in hockey they are playing good but singing the blues tonight against St Louis and getting whooped right now.That's all,nuff said :)

• Haha 2

Too many mental mistakes by the Vol veterans in that game. Grant turning it over when he had a shot from 3 feet away and then fouling out on the next play where he was behind the guy just sunk the Vols. Not that there weren't plenty of other mistakes from other players as well. No clear idea why Fulkerson sees the court time he does, about 3 of every 4 plays involving him results in a bad event for the Vols. Finally, terrible game for the officials. Kansas' big man got his 4th on a bad call. But the vast majority of bad calls went against the Vols. Crazy to see that big a free throw gap in a game where both teams were playing the same style of basketball. Kansas was + 14 on FT attempts before the Vols ever started fouling on purpose. It's only November but that is a win that would give the Vols seeding advantage in March and they just melted like snow on a 50 degree sunny day once Grant went out. A troubling sign from a team full of veteran players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Too many mental mistakes by the Vol veterans in that game. Grant turning it over when he had a shot from 3 feet away and then fouling out on the next play where he was behind the guy just sunk the Vols. Not that there weren't plenty of other mistakes from other players as well. No clear idea why Fulkerson sees the court time he does, about 3 of every 4 plays involving him results in a bad event for the Vols. Finally, terrible game for the officials. Kansas' big man got his 4th on a bad call. But the vast majority of bad calls went against the Vols. Crazy to see that big a free throw gap in a game where both teams were playing the same style of basketball. Kansas was + 14 on FT attempts before the Vols ever started fouling on purpose. It's only November but that is a win that would give the Vols seeding advantage in March and they just melted like snow on a 50 degree sunny day once Grant went out. A troubling sign from a team full of veteran players.

You guys wont fall because of this game,overtime loss to the #2 ranked team is not going to be that big of a deal.The whole deal will be the big dance,you can learn from this loss.You guys have a good team.

• Like 1

These two tournaments were probably the most unconventional tournaments in seasons.The team that suffered the most will be Duke.But i believe Gonzaga will be the new #1 with Kansas #2.Its not that big of a deal right now i dont see Tn falling that much if all in the rankings nor do i see Auburn,least that's my thinking.

I second tnweathernut's comments.  Kansas vs Tennessee was a barn burner.  It was a thrilla.  Several of the commentators mentioned that these two teams were playing like Final Four teams.  I agree.  They were a bit rusty, but the "each possession matters" manner in which the game was played was similar to the NCAA tourney.  Tennessee has to prevent offensive rebounds.  They lost focus there a bit.  And losing Williams was a back breaker.  He is a special player.  Kansas has a nice mix of forwards and guards.  Overall, the game lived-up to its billing as a top 5 match-up.  I am proud that Tennessee can play at that level, but definitely wished that we could have earned a W.  If there was any criticism that I would lodge, it would probably be towards the refs for allowing both teams' key players in the paint to foul out.  It would have been nice to see those two battle it out late in the game.  Lawson for Kansas was a key.  I think it was a great game to prep both teams for the season.  

• Like 1

I need to try to get back into basketball. Likely be less depressing this year. I used to watch it, but been more football as I've gotten older. At least the 2nd half of UT-Vandy isn't as bad as the first half was. 

Never mind, the 2nd half was just as bad.

18z GFS has lifted my mood. 2 snow chances and then this at the end, even if it is fantasy: https://imgur.com/a/m0XQlEJ 

It is that time of year! Using my Kansas City, Country Club Plaza, Christmas Lights picture! Took my daughter to see them for her very first time this Thanksgiving. We also saw the Mayor's Christmas Tree lighting at Crown Center, which is close to the Plaza. The said area of KCMO is like Buckhead, Lennox, Phipps in Atlanta. I can't afford to shop there but I love the lights!

We also saw Union Station KCMO which was my first time too! Major revitalization was about 10 years ago when I was down in Texas. The Plaza is my favorite though because it is my childhood now shared with my own daughter. She liked the tree lighting at Crown Center. After the long drive both felt like 2 cyclical tornadoes in May. Well, it is kind of apples and oranges, lol!

Agree with others the UT/KU game the Refs were too involved. Seeing Williams and Azubuike (Doke nickname) finish OT would have been special. On the other hand, despite his excellent FG%, Doke can't shoot free-throws so we might have sat him at the end anyway. KU is lucky to have back-up not recovering from injury in Lawson.  @Greyhound those seats are amazing!

Kansas will and should be number one thanks to a more robust schedule to-date compared to Gonzaga. The Zags are for real this year, but Kansas has the resume to-date.

Chattanooga has Rock City and Kansas City has the Plaza. Frankly I think both beat Buckhead in ATL.

IMG_20181126_001840_405.thumb.jpg.3499fa9d2a6fed388fe2b90f2aabb420.jpg IMG_20181126_001840_409.thumb.jpg.55bb3f88018ac5525e2f856b1731df00.jpg

IMG_20181126_001840_402.thumb.jpg.aa13b78593dffce4e7b06f418bf74371.jpg IMG_20181126_001840_411.thumb.jpg.03a18e90c3e4c2232d3b7b64ea8685ab.jpg

• Like 5