Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter 2018

Carvers Gap

48 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

An outdoor boiler?!  Bet that is awesome to have.  Is that a new edition?

They are pretty common in the hills around here. Built like tanks out of stainless steel. My FIL has had his for over 20 years and an older man at church is working on 25 years on his. The huge firebox has a large water jacket around it. Hot water is pumped into a heating coil inside the duct work of the central unit. I'm heating my entire house and dumping 170 degree water into my hot water heater with it. The downside is the older units while very tough are not really efficient and produce large amounts of smoke at times. I used to run it from October through April, but because of concerns about all of the smoke and use of wood have cut back to Dec-Feb. They really shine during extreme cold. 

• Like 2

If I schedule a trip during a month it can snow, it immediately pops into the forecast around that time frame.

Like with every other month, snow in November used to be much more common in the area. Last time I had more than 1 inch in November was 2008 on the 20-21st. 3.5 inches Nov 10th 1996 with some snow falling on the 8th and 9th too. Back in the 60s several Novembers had multiple multi-inch snow events. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tennessee basketball is on SECN often. Unfortunately I get only ESPN and ESPN2 on Sling. Perhaps I should pony up for Sports Extra and get SECN and ESPNU/News. On the other hand Tennessee may show up on ESPN/2 more if the Vols stay in the top-10. I really hope the Vols do well for a couple reasons. Of course it is fun when the home team wins. Selfishly, more people would talk college hoops with me. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaxjagman said:

Would be nice,it would be a good track in the winter time for the Mid Valley what the Euro shows right now.

Yeah, man.  Climatology makes it tough...but hoping I can at least drive to see some in the mountains.  On another note, the Vols may have a couple of cold home games coming up.  We face UK's vaunted defense and their great rushing attack w Snell.  Really hoping that we can make a bowl game.  We need the practice.

FYI, Kansas and Tennessee are both in the NIT-tipoff on 11/21 and 11/23.  UT opens with Louisville.  Kansas opens on the other side of the four team bracket with Marquette.  If both win or both lose, they will face each other.  I hope UT gets a win over Louisville and then gets a shot at Kansas.  The biggest thing, win or lose, is getting this team big game experience against quality out-of-conference opponents.  

Runman, remind us again of what elevation that you are at...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Runman292 said:

I'm interested in seeing just how much more snow I'll see by moving to the La Follette area. I'm so used to seeing little to no snow that 2 inches to me is a ton of snow.

Quite a few winters you'll see much more than Knox, especially south or west Knox.  A couple of years ago the lower elevations around LaFollette picked up 20-25 inches. I believe Knox had around 5-8 inches that year. Driving from Knox for years the snowlines were North of Halls, another often set up around the Clinch River bridge, another sets up around the Anderson/Campbell line. Once you get into Campbell elevation will play another big factor. You'll see snowcapped mountains fairly often. Especially Cross Mountain above Caryville.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 2:15 PM, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, man.  Climatology makes it tough...but hoping I can at least drive to see some in the mountains.  On another note, the Vols may have a couple of cold home games coming up.  We face UK's vaunted defense and their great rushing attack w Snell.  Really hoping that we can make a bowl game.  We need the practice.

FYI, Kansas and Tennessee are both in the NIT-tipoff on 11/21 and 11/23.  UT opens with Louisville.  Kansas opens on the other side of the four team bracket with Marquette.  If both win or both lose, they will face each other.  I hope UT gets a win over Louisville and then gets a shot at Kansas.  The biggest thing, win or lose, is getting this team big game experience against quality out-of-conference opponents.  

Runman, remind us again of what elevation that you are at...

The highest point on my property is around 1380 feet.

7 hours ago, Runman292 said:

The highest point on my property is around 1380 feet.

Considering a offer with ETSU - where would be the best location - best guess - to reside for winter weather? Totally not familiar with the area, in theory, with the added elevation, should at least have more chances for snow than currently do in the middle part of the state - just north of Nashville.

• Like 1

I'd say Johnson City, especially southern JC near Buffalo Mt. is a good place for snow. I lived in Kingsport and went to ETSU for a while and there was a big difference just between my house in Kingsport and Johnson City.  My wife stayed in some housing on a hill south and just a few hundred feet above most of the rest of Johnson City and there was even a difference there. Carter/ Unicoi (Hampton or Roan Mountain? communities) counties are not too far from the city and depending on how often you had to commute could get you at much higher elevations. I have no idea about property values, but suspect like most places county living is cheaper than city living with the added value of higher elevations and more snow.  Even Bristol/ Bluff City aren't too far.  I think every bit of elevation and/ or north or east you can get would help. 

One thing that you'll have to deal with though that you don't have so much at Cottontown is the plateau effect when fronts come through. Sometimes it takes forever for cold air to get over the plateau in winter. Warm noses also like to sneak up the valley, but sometimes they have trouble making it that far NE and a short drive to Carver's Gap on Roan Mountain can bring drastically more winter like conditions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weathertree4u said:

Considering a offer with ETSU - where would be the best location - best guess - to reside for winter weather? Totally not familiar with the area, in theory, with the added elevation, should at least have more chances for snow than currently do in the middle part of the state - just north of Nashville.

Hope it works out for you!

Definitely, you have more chances at upslope snow events depending on where you live in Johnson City.  JC, as Holston mentioned, usually gets more snow than Kingsport.  I used to think it was local industry that caused this, but in actuality it is likely Kingsport's location...we get a bit of a rain shadow.   But the entire region right now is in a "big snow" drought - meaning that it has been a while since we have recently seen storms that dump more than 10".  

OTH, Johnson City is a great town.  ETSU has a fantastic medical school and great President in Noland...who I full expect UT to make a run at in terms of leadership.  The campus has really been updated.  If you take the job, give me a shout and I will send you some favorite restaurants.  JC's locations is great as well...45 minted to Asheville, about 5.5 hours to Charleston(SC), near two world-class trout rivers, Barter Theater in Abingdon, reasonable drives to Boone and/or skiing, and under two hours to Knoxville.  Nice town with a good feel that has a grown a bunch recently...might be slightly at a plateau right now.  Also, great schools in the area.

@tnweathernut....comments about the area?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weathertree4u said:

How could I forget...and you are about 30-40 minutes from Roan Mountain State Park(valley location) and about one hour from Carvers Gap at 6,000'.  One of the great things, if we miss snow over here is that we can drive to it.  

• Thanks 1

We beat #25 Washington by 22 last night,The shooting was poor 29-70 but we dominated the boards 41-24.Herron was a big loss when he transferred in the off season to be closer to his,mom who is ill.We don't play Tn until March i believe,the last SEC game of the season?Hopefully both teams will be at full strenght,but you never know about freak injuries

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

We beat #25 Washington by 22 last night,The shooting was poor 29-70 but we dominated the boards 41-24.Herron was a big loss when he transferred in the off season to be closer to his,mom who is ill.We don't play Tn until March i believe,the last SEC game of the season?Hopefully both teams will be at full strenght,but you never know about freak injuries

Yeah, Auburn is good.  I am not sure that I have seen a coach with better set plays on inbounds passes than Pearl.  He is a genius when it comes to that.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, Carvers Gap said:

Hope it works out for you!

Definitely, you have more chances at upslope snow events depending on where you live in Johnson City.  JC, as Holston mentioned, usually gets more snow than Kingsport.  I used to think it was local industry that caused this, but in actuality it is likely Kingsport's location...we get a bit of a rain shadow.   But the entire region right now is in a "big snow" drought - meaning that it has been a while since we have recently seen storms that dump more than 10".  

OTH, Johnson City is a great town.  ETSU has a fantastic medical school and great President in Noland...who I full expect UT to make a run at in terms of leadership.  The campus has really been updated.  If you take the job, give me a shout and I will send you some favorite restaurants.  JC's locations is great as well...45 minted to Asheville, about 5.5 hours to Charleston(SC), near two world-class trout rivers, Barter Theater in Abingdon, reasonable drives to Boone and/or skiing, and under two hours to Knoxville.  Nice town with a good feel that has a grown a bunch recently...might be slightly at a plateau right now.  Also, great schools in the area.

@tnweathernut....comments about the area?

Agree with the above.  It depends on how far you'd be comfortable driving regarding where to live.  I grew up in Gallatin, so I know Sumner County like the back of my hand. My mom was born in Cottontown and I grew up going to church there.

I saw more snow than other areas living in Unicoi a few years back, which isn't that far from ETSU's campus (10-12 minutes).  If you don't mind a little bit of a drive and want to see a LOT of snow, head toward Flag Pond.  You'd be around 30 minutes to campus, but with 2500+ feet of elevation you'd see enough snow to keep you from feeling neglected.   South JC toward Buffalo mountain is another good spot as mentioned. 

The biggest thing you will deal with in this area will be a SE wind drying things out and warming us up at times.  It can be maddening.  I have seen 12-16 inch snow predictions reduced to a trace.  This area also provides a much greater chance at 10+.  Though we haven't seen that in 20 years now, the relative snowless years of the 1990's provided three separate 12+ snows (1993, 1996, 1998)  At any rate, you likely will see more snow than you do in Sumner County.

Regarding the area, lots to do. As CG mentioned you can easily drive to snow and snow related activities (tubing, skiing, etc).  Restaurants are great and the area has experienced a lot of growth in the last 15+ years.  My wife is the executive director of HR at ETSU and there have been a lot of improvements to campus and programs there.  A pretty exciting time in ETSU's history with the improvements, bringing football back, a great basketball coach, etc....

If you end up taking the job let me know.  I am well-connected in the JC area, so if you need anything let me know and I would probably have a suggestion as to who to call. (i.e. realtor, handyman, home inspector, etc.)

Have a great finish to your weekend.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Agree with the above.  It depends on how far you'd be comfortable driving regarding where to live.  I grew up in Gallatin, so I know Sumner County like the back of my hand. My mom was born in Cottontown and I grew up going to church there.

I saw more snow than other areas living in Unicoi a few years back, which isn't that far from ETSU's campus (10-12 minutes).  If you don't mind a little bit of a drive and want to see a LOT of snow, head toward Flag Pond.  You'd be around 30 minutes to campus, but with 2500+ feet of elevation you'd see enough snow to keep you from feeling neglected.   South JC toward Buffalo mountain is another good spot as mentioned. 

The biggest thing you will deal with in this area will be a SE wind drying things out and warming us up at times.  It can be maddening.  I have seen 12-16 inch snow predictions reduced to a trace.  This area also provides a much greater chance at 10+.  Though we haven't seen that in 20 years now, the relative snowless years of the 1990's provided three separate 12+ snows (1993, 1996, 1998)  At any rate, you likely will see more snow than you do in Sumner County.

Regarding the area, lots to do. As CG mentioned you can easily drive to snow and snow related activities (tubing, skiing, etc).  Restaurants are great and the area has experienced a lot of growth in the last 15+ years.  My wife is the executive director of HR at ETSU and there have been a lot of improvements to campus and programs there.  A pretty exciting time in ETSU's history with the improvements, bringing football back, a great basketball coach, etc....

If you end up taking the job let me know.  I am well-connected in the JC area, so if you need anything let me know and I would probably have a suggestion as to who to call. (i.e. realtor, handyman, home inspector, etc.)

Have a great finish to your weekend.

Awesome.  I forgot about downsloping - that ain't no joke!  It is the great eraser.  To add, I think @Blue Ridge and a couple of other posters are in the area as well.  We also have several other posters from the region who might want to chime-in.  But to echo tnwxnut, this is a great time in Johnson City's history in terms of city growth.  The entire TRI area is in the process of trying to sort-out how much of a regional entity that it wants to be vs three defined cities.  For example, we just had a major healthcare merger which is transforming care across the region.  The TRI metro area has a fairly large population, and I often think folks are surprised how many people are in NE TN.  

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Awesome.  I forgot about downsloping - that ain't no joke!  It is the great eraser.  To add, I think @Blue Ridge and a couple of other posters are in the area as well.  We also have several other posters from the region who might want to chime-in.  But to echo tnwxnut, this is a great time in Johnson City's history in terms of city growth.  The entire TRI area is in the process of trying to sort-out how much of a regional entity that it wants to be vs three defined cities.  For example, we just had a major healthcare merger which is transforming care across the region.  The TRI metro area has a fairly large population, and I often think folks are surprised how many people are in NE TN.  

I would imagine given enough time the three cities would kind of meld together along with the many towns in the general vicinity of them from Abingdon to Gate City to Jonesborough. Of course with the current rate of development especially further north in Virginia being basically stagnant that is far off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlunderStorm said:

I would imagine given enough time the three cities would kind of meld together along with the many towns in the general vicinity of them from Abingdon to Gate City to Jonesborough. Of course with the current rate of development especially further north in Virginia being basically stagnant that is far off.

Yeah, agree.  Eventually this will be a very large metro area.  Right now, everything is spread out.  Honestly, I like the small town feel.  I don't want the traffic and craziness that comes with a bigger city.  But I think it is coming whether I am ready for it or not.  TRI sits at the intersection of two major interstates and is close to two others.  It is within a days drive of like half of he US population.  I would certainly think that places like Church Hill, Mt Carmel, Gate City, Weber City, Bluff City, Jonesborough, Gray, Abindgon, Fall Branch, Elizabethton, Erwin, and Unicoi would become part of that.   I am sure that I am missing a few.  The combined statistical area(CSA) is made up of two metro areas in Johnson City and Kingsport/Bristol.  The CSA number is around 500,000 people.  I can just about guarantee that most people have no idea there are that many people up here.  I assume the CSA would include those smaller cities.  We just don't have an area with one conglomerate of a downtown.    And you know while southwest VA is mentioned as it rightfully should be, we also see a few folks from the extreme sections of SE KY that use this area for shopping and medical services.

https://www.citypopulation.de/php/usa-combmetro.php?cityid=304

One other thing that is cool about Johnson City is its proximity to the Gray Fossil Site.  Now that place is pretty cool.  I also heard on the radio this morning and had to do a double take...is that Kingsport was just recently ranked as the fifth fastest growing city in the state.  Not sure I buy that or even know how they arrived at that number, but I did year it.  So, it must be true, right?  :thumbsup:

@weathertree4u, we have loaded you up with a ton of information.  We definitely support whatever decision that you make.  Good luck!!!!!  Let us know if we can help in any way like tnweathernut stated or if you have any other questions..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, agree.  Eventually this will be a very large metro area.  Right now, everything is spread out.  Honestly, I like the small town feel.  I don't want the traffic and craziness that comes with a bigger city.  But I think it is coming whether I am ready for it or not.  TRI sits at the intersection of two major interstates and is close to two others.  It is within a days drive of like half of he US population.  I would certainly think that places like Church Hill, Mt Carmel, Gate City, Weber City, Bluff City, Jonesborough, Gray, Abindgon, Fall Branch, Elizabethton, Erwin, and Unicoi would become part of that.   I am sure that I am missing a few.  The combined statistical area(CSA) is made up of two metro areas in Johnson City and Kingsport/Bristol.  The CSA number is around 500,000 people.  I can just about guarantee that most people have no idea there are that many people up here.  I assume the CSA would include those smaller cities.  We just don't have an area with one conglomerate of a downtown.    And you know while southwest VA is mentioned as it rightfully should be, we also see a few folks from the extreme sections of SE KY that use this area for shopping and medical services.

One other thing that is cool about Johnson City is its proximity to the Gray Fossil Site.  Now that place is pretty cool.  I also heard on the radio this morning and had to do a double take...is that Kingsport was just recently ranked as the fifth fastest growing city in the state.  Not sure I buy that or even know how they arrived at that number, but I did year it.  So, it must be true, right?  :thumbsup:

@weathertree4u, we have loaded you up with a ton of information.  We definitely support whatever decision that you make.  Good luck!!!!!  Let us know if we can help in any way like tnweathernut stated or if you have any other questions..

Well, yea, thanks for all the information. To throw a wrinkle in it, I may be deciding between two schools that direction, ETSU or ASU in Boone, may come down to which one reliably gets the most snow and not $ lol 

Just now, weathertree4u said:

Well, yea, thanks for all the information. To throw a wrinkle in it, I may be deciding between two schools that direction, ETSU or ASU in Boone, may come down to which one reliably gets the most snow and not $ lol 

I think Boone is in a prime spot for big time snows.  Seems like every year they play one football game in the snow too.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

You need to speak to both places and say...We need to talk numbers.  Paid time off, salary, benefits, and annual snowfall. 

• Like 1

One other thing that is cool about Johnson City is its proximity to the Gray Fossil Site.  Now that place is pretty cool.  I also heard on the radio this morning and had to do a double take...is that Kingsport was just recently ranked as the fifth fastest growing city in the state.  Not sure I buy that or even know how they arrived at that number, but I did year it.  So, it must be true, right?  

[mention=4352]weathertree4u[/mention], we have loaded you up with a ton of information.  We definitely support whatever decision that you make.  Good luck!!!!!  Let us know if we can help in any way like tnweathernut stated or if you have any other questions..

I put many hours of work into that fossil site as a student long before it was the gorgeous museum and education center that it is today. Probably even more hours sifting and picking through its fill sediment in a basement lab at ETSU. If anyone has yet to visit the Gray Fossil Site and Natural History Museum, please go. It's a wonderful experience, terrific people and so easily accessible. Also, if anyone is fascinated with the cave systems around here, Dr. Schubert is also brilliant in that respect.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, weathertree4u said:

If you are deciding with snow, Boone is a no-brainer. If you want to be able to do things (not mountain related, lol) ETSU should still be squarely in the mix.

• Like 3

Tennessee Men's Basketball defense looks solid. Vols guard tight and occasionally press. Love it! Vols remind me of the Wichita St. team that beat Kansas. Hopefully we get to play next week. However we cannot look past Louisville and Marquette respectively. Tennessee D will be a real test for Kansas. I think the Vols are tighter than Michigan St. D from last week. 

Tennessee still needs to find consistent rhythm on offense. I firmly believe defense gets deep tournament runs. However one still has to score. 

Finally, who keeps playing Guns and Roses cold November Rain. Get it off the playlist, lol. This weather is just dreadful in Chattanooga.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Tennessee Men's Basketball defense looks solid. Vols guard tight and occasionally press. Love it! Vols remind me of the Wichita St. team that beat Kansas. Hopefully we get to play next week. However we cannot look past Louisville and Marquette respectively. Tennessee D will be a real test for Kansas. I think the Vols are tighter than Michigan St. D from last week. 

Tennessee still needs to find consistent rhythm on offense. I firmly believe defense gets deep tournament runs. However one still has to score. 

Finally, who keeps playing Guns and Roses cold November Rain. Get it off the playlist, lol. This weather is just dreadful in Chattanooga.

Tennessee's identity is on defense, but I really believe the refs were to blame for not allowing any semblance of rhythm on offense last night.  I think they called about 1,000 fouls last night.  Hard to get in a rhythm when the refs won't let the kids play (both ways).   That said, I hope we can both take care of business and play each other.  Kansas always seems to be elite so it would be a great challenge and early season barometer for both teams!

• Like 2

I wouldn't want to play Duke if they bring what they put on Kentucky. 

45 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

We play in the Maui tournament next week with Duke and Gonzaga,guess we'll see how good we really are..lol

Duke can have #1 by the way. Jinxes Kansas every time, lol! Auburn can beat Gonzaga. 

Back to the Tennessee game, Tech played too physical. Maybe the refs over managed, but both issues affected Tenn.