• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Post the last date you see a firefly in your neighborhood

Will - Rutgers

I can't remember many summers, if any, that we had significant fireflies into mid-August.  Extensive Google research corroborates my memory and indicates that fireflies typically emerge as adults until about mid-July, and live for two weeks to breed.  While exact timing will vary, the story is that after August these guys should be on their way out.

Well it's basically mid-September and they are all over the f'n place.  They are on the lawns in Piscataway, there's a billion of them in the grasses along Route 1.  If you didn't know any better by the weather or these fireflies, you'd swear it was July.  I thought maybe the conditions the last two days would knock them out but they took their momentary setback in stride.  I assume many of you are seeing the same thing I am.

Being that the weather is generally forecasted to be AN temps and humidity for the foreseeable future, I think I could keep seeing these guys until, I'll guess, September 25th.  Any takers?

• Like 1

funny you started this topic

Just got home from Central Park with the dogs and I couldn't believe the amount of fireflies still out there. I was trying to remember if, as a kid, I had ever seen them in September and was thinking about it the whole walk home. I grew up in Michigan but still, similar climatology. 

As far as guesses hell if I know but good to know I'm not the only one befuddled by the phenomenon this year...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ice1972 said:

I haven’t seen one all season up here in CT.....that’s a bit odd....but ya here there usually gone by mid August if not earlier

I'm  ~40 miles west of you and they've been thick here. 

I haven't seen any in a few days now. I think the cool temps finally put them down for the season.