Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Florence: STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

35 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Downeast, the tide keeping them backed up will just exacerbate situation, correct?

Sure though they are draining out now......even where I am the creeks came up 6-7 ft on the surge that doesnt do anything to homes around here but it does prevent the ditches and smaller creeks from draining all this damn rain.......all the water rise on this chart is surge related.....its actually going out now....a lot slower than normally though usually the hurricanes go S to N so once the center gets north of us the winds go around to the west and blow it out.....not happening this time, still getting gust to 40-45 regularly and I sure its worse out over the open water.....its unreal the stuff I am seeing from friends...the surge numbers will be record breaking for the Neuse and Pamlico rivers.....

grmn7_hg.png.715bf73a09734147e48e8452888bc961.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Cape Fear River at Wilmington just beat the record crest from Matthew in 2016.

Its rare the ILM to have the center west of them like this, Matthew approach angle was crazy ( well until Flo)....once the center got west of them and the winds went south and the center more or less stalled it was the "perfect storm " scenario to get record surge there....might not be topped out either 

34 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Its rare the ILM to have the center west of them like this, Matthew approach angle was crazy ( well until Flo)....once the center got west of them and the winds went south and the center more or less stalled it was the "perfect storm " scenario to get record surge there....might not be topped out either 

As pointed out in Bob Henson's blog it's easier to beat Hazel's records with a weaker hurricane with the 0.7' higher sea level nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We'll see if the upcoming advisory drops it below hurricane strength, but so far it has held on to cat 1 for like 16 hours.  Being in close proximity to the water has undoubtedly helped slow the weakening.

She's been downgraded to a TS for the 5 pm update.

WTNT31 KNHC 142039
TCPAT1

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Florence Advisory Number  62
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL062018
500 PM EDT Fri Sep 14 2018

...FLORENCE NOW PRODUCING TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WIND GUSTS IN
FLORENCE SOUTH CAROLINA...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGES TO CONTINUE TONIGHT...
...CATASTROPHIC FRESHWATER FLOODING EXPECTED OVER PORTIONS OF NORTH
AND SOUTH CAROLINA...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.0N 78.6W
ABOUT 50 MI...75 KM WSW OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 25 MI...45 KM NE OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70 MPH...110 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 270 DEGREES AT 3 MPH...6 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...972 MB...28.70 INCHES

6 minutes ago, Capt. Adam said:

Wilmington radar appears down now...

Oh my.  It most certainly is.  I have the GRLevel3 program with the hurricane up using that radar location and haven't had chance to check back with it until now.  Last data pull I got was at 5:12 pm ET.  Just switched to KRAX which is still up.

32 minutes ago, Jtm12180 said:

Seems we are entering what’s left of the “eye” here just west of Myrtle Beach. Had a good bit of heavy rain and wind around 7:00-8:00, and it has calmed to a drizzle and lighter winds. Interested to see if it calms more the next hour or so...

29D178D2-3FB8-4510-9E2C-7FEFD73DD8C9.jpeg

Approximately what are the rates on the left side of the eye?