Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Florence: STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Florence had the 3rd lowest barometric pressure ever recorded for a landfalling U.S. category 1 hurricane south of 40N.

#1....942 mb Sandy........... 2012

#2....952 mb Irene............  2011

#3....958 mb Florence.......  2018

#4....963 mb Lili................. 2003

#5....966 mb Isaac..............2011

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E23.html

Interesting that 4 of 5 of them occurred in the last seven years, Chris.  Do we know if there is some larger-scale/decadal phenomenon that accounts for this?

49 minutes ago, mappy said:

anything over 8" should be tossed

Can be undercatch with strong winds too. In hurricanes when warm processes dominate the rainfall, amounts can add up quick. I can’t speak for all gauges, just noting that we can get prolific rains real quick and have a wide variety of amounts when strong winds are involved. 

Myrtle Beach cam showing this....

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/resort/?cam=coralbeach

57 minutes ago, Papa Joe said:

Live reports show the offshore wind at MYR has the ocean pushed way back (extra wide beach) with no significant waves due to the offshore wind flow. The ocean is about as calm as can be. When the center of circulation gets south of MYR, it'll get a 'extra' surge.

• Like 1

Regarding the upper level conditions, four days ago the NHC discussions talked about day 2 being the best, allowing Florence to max out at 150 mph, and then shear would pick up some as it approached the coast, leading to some weakening.  The opposite happened.  Shear knocked it down on day 2 and diminished as it approached the coast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

their map last night had a fill for the flooding. that current 10 ft contour is hard to interpret. is that actual elevation, or water level? 

12 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Regarding the upper level conditions, four days ago the NHC discussions talked about day 2 being the best, allowing Florence to max out at 150 mph, and then shear would pick up some as it approached the coast, leading to some weakening.  The opposite happened.  Shear knocked it down on day 2 and diminished as it approached the coast.

funny how things turn out

Video out of New Bern showing surge, they say water is 3-4 ft higher than any previous surge on record there....at least thats what the man interviewed on local news said...from the footage this looks to easily be the case....

https://wcti12.com/news/local/hurricane-damage-from-the-eyewall-destroys-north-carolina-marina

This is the back creek bridge and Quarterdeck taken yesterday afternoon, the bridge ended up completely underwater....thats at least 12 ft of surge....

1239135031_backcreek.thumb.jpeg.a3cea2dd98f96ec13d972c172c107b86.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Radar has over 10-11” estimated SW of ILM and may be underdone. 

Getting a few CoCoRaHS reports this AM. The 14.25" is as of 8:30 AM and apparently may be an underestimate as the gauge was totally full at measurement time. Not sure where this lies in relation to the USGS gauges, but at least makes their totals more plausible. 

https://www.cocorahs.org/Admin/DataEntry/ViewDailyPrecipReport.aspx?DailyPrecipReportID=0b230c32-4195-46d8-b55b-670698c50688

2018&cp=0

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Getting more gusts over 50 here in Lumberton in that band. Very impressive wind swept rain with a number of small branches down. Not seeing any significant structural damage. 

folks down there are in my thoughts.  I taught at UNCP for a few years and fell in love with the people and area there.  Praying you guys get spared the worst of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

HoldPeak, which broke during the first band lol and just started working again. Wanted a Kestrel but couldn’t get it in time. Unless I say otherwise  the wind numbers I post here are directly from KLBT which is a few miles away. Can’t eyeball wind but I’d say the conditions here are similar to that location.

The airport just gusted to 61 mph...lol.  I'd say you got yourself an AWOS grade anemometer there son.