Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Florence: STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

Just now, BristowWx said:

Is there that much shear out there?  Can’t be SSTs..so many factors to consider.  

SST are great for development where it is.  Or perhaps she’s just shot/peaked as others have said, and it’s degrading at this point.  

Still so much we just don’t know about these systems that make them so difficult to forecast...proof positive by the way it’s degrading currently.  This certainly wasn’t forecast as recently as yesterday.    

Agree with Snowgoose....this is probably weaker than it’s current estimate at 8:00 pm.  

• Sad 1

Reminder that the strongest hurricane to hit NC was Hazel and it was 130MPH on the SC/NC border. If this were to reorganize tomorrow and hit anywhere near 120 or 125, it would be historic without a doubt. As the ridge builds over it and it crosses the gulf stream, I'm sure it will reorganize somewhat. Unsure what the ultimate landfall intensity will be however.

• Like 1

Looking at the shear profile, there is a tutt that is progged to dig south of Florence in the next 6-12 hrs.  This will change the 200mb wind trajectory over Florence from a line to a sideways U shape.  I am not sure if this will have a positive or negative impact on Florence.

3 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

bet when it makes landfall its tropical storm. What a bust this would be

You know when the admin said no sh*t posts at the beginning of the thread? This is kinda what he had in mind.  

Yes, it's weakening, but based on available data there is no reason to think it will weaken all the way down to a tropical storm at landfall.  Unless maybe if it did some ridiculous 5 day stall.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

The whole NE half of the storm looks quite healthy, especially in the last few frames. if shear lets up somewhat, I don't see why it wouldn't restrengthen somewhat to a legit cat 3.

That isn't going to happen at this latitude while running into a brick wall of a ridge. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Some of you are missing the point. Yes we have a weakening hurricane, but in return the wind field is becoming much larger. Also a stall and a 10 Ft+ storm surge can be expected when this reaches the NC coast. Category 1 or 3, we're still gonna have some really major flooding and storm surge.

Absolutely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreensboroWx said:

And you are basing this on what??  The eye is just covered by overcast and I believe it's reorganizing. I'm not saying it's to going to jump to a cat 5 or even a 4 but it still has to traverse across the gulf stream and many models show it holding its own or even strengthen a bit. 

48 minutes ago, LVLion77 said:

The gulf stream affect tends to be greatly exaggerated throughout history. If I were a betting man I would bet continued weakening until landfall. I wonder why the models continue to mishandle the intensity in this final approach ?

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. Can we have a storm mode or something? 

• Like 1

The hyperbole needs to be in check on both sides of the spectrum....phrases like “storm of a lifetime” being thrown around in the media, is premature imo;   and now “making landfall as a tropical storm,”  is also very premature.   these are the comments that come back to Bite when used prematurely.  

Bittom line...if it weakens to a cat 2, the whole storm of a lifetime is going to look ridiculous.  

Likewise, if this pulses up overnight into a beast again, then the DOA ideas too will look foolish.

Let’s see where we stand tomorrow morning???  

• Like 10

Just now, WinterWolf said:

The hyperbole needs to be in check on both sides of the spectrum....phrases like “storm of a lifetime” being thrown around in the media, is premature imo;   and now “making landfall as a tropical storm,”  is also very premature.   these are the comments that come back to Bite when used prematurely.  

Bittom line...if it weakens to a cat 2, the whole storm of a lifetime is going to look ridiculous.  

Likewise, if this pulses up overnight into a beast again, then the DOA ideas too will look foolish.

I think the surge will be comparable to Ike, but freshwater flooding maybe much more prevalent.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think the surge will be comparable to Ike, but freshwater flooding maybe much more prevalent.

I agree Ray.

the flooding will most likely be very major.  Obviously if you’re in an area that gets drowned,   Then This thing is gonna be a nightmare for those folks.  

The media just jumps the gun all the time...and who knows, maybe this thing does become a historic/lifetime event, but the degrading look right now is not what a once in a lifetime storm looks like...so I get why some are questioning some of the hype out there. 

Some of you are missing the point. Yes we have a weakening hurricane, but in return the wind field is becoming much larger. Also a stall and a 10 Ft+ storm surge can be expected when this reaches the NC coast. Category 1 or 3, we're still gonna have some really major flooding and storm surge.

I agree completely regarding damage factor remaining very serious and nobody should let their guard down. I think some of us get frustrated that forecasting is still in major need of improvement in terms of considering basic climatology - ie the insistence this would approach the coast at 140-150 mph at this latitude or with Irma last year nearly all forecasts dismissed the fact that land (Cuba) damages hurricanes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Sandy hit NJ as a cat 1. It wasn't overhyped in the least. If anything it ended up even worse than predicted because of how damaging the surge was. I had gusts here to 85 mph maybe, but my town was still devastated by water. A near stalled hurricane on the NC/SC coast will cause horrendous surge damage over multiple tide cycles. Also, the crawl inland will result in massive rain amounts. The records in SC were broken with the Joaquin-associated rain but I wonder how close this will come. Wind won't be as big a factor, but the vast majority of damage and death the big ones cause are water related. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I agree Ray.

the flooding will most likely be very major.  Obviously if you’re in an area that gets drowned,   Then This thing is gonna be a nightmare for those folks.  

The media just jumps the gun all the time...and who knows, maybe this thing does become a historic/lifetime event, but the degrading look right now is not what a once in a lifetime storm looks like...so I get why some are questioning some of the hype out there. 

Unless this think goes full tilt Harvey on us, which I doubt, but possible....its not going to be upper echelon.

Most impressive aspect of the wind will be duration, but it won't be severe.

JMO....very damaging event, nonetheless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LVLion77 said:

I agree completely regarding damage factor remaining very serious and nobody should let their guard down. I think some of us get frustrated that forecasting is still in major need of improvement in terms of considering basic climatology - ie the insistence this would approach the coast at 140-150 mph at this latitude or with Irma last year nearly all forecasts dismissed the fact that land (Cuba) damages hurricanes.

Conditions looked favorable (and are still somewhat favorable IMO) for it to reach land as a solid Cat 3, even borderline Cat 4 a couple days ago. The storm looks too degraded now for that to take place, but those predictions are always a crap shoot. It may be more of an Isabel intensity when it reaches land, but Isabel was never remembered for wind anyway, by far it was for surge. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'd be stunned.

My thought a couple of days ago was it would be like a Fran or a little stronger when it hit, now I think it'll be a Cat 2, Isabel-like. The much slower motion will result in a lot more damage though than Isabel caused in the Carolinas (Isabel was worse further north in the Chesapeake from surge)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

some cold cloud tops exploding on the western eyewall now

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=06L&product=ir

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I still am somewhat concerned it could ramp back up.   It’s intact enough that if that shear relaxing and dry air abates it could probably get back to a high end 3 

Fellas, if it’s me this thing is starting to look very healthy again on the last loop. Deep convection wrapping around and the eye looks much better overall. Nighttime is the opportune time for this thing to get going. 

6 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

some cold cloud tops exploding on the western eyewall now

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=06L&product=ir

Yes sir....if that persists...look out!

She definitely has not behaved as predicted, does she have a few more surprises up her sleeve???  Perhaps?? 

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Fellas, if it’s me this thing is starting to look very healthy again on the last loop. Deep convection wrapping around and the eye looks much better overall. Nighttime is the opportune time for this thing to get going. 

If the HWRF is right it’s best chance may be noon-midnight tomorrow.  It correctly predicted today’s weakening somewhat 

• Like 2