• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

8 hours ago, hickory said:

If the levees would have never failed around New Orleans. That hurricane would have only been remembered by residents of south Mississippi.

Those "only high impacts in south Mississippi" killed 240 people. Take away all the other fatalities in N.O and elsewhere completely and Katrina's death toll would have still exceeded any other hurricane in the CONUS since Camille (and Katrina's surge killed more along the Gulf Coast than Camille's did, I believe). And Katrina profoundly affected the political and social discourse in this country in a way few other natural disasters ever have. There is NO downplaying of Katrina possible and that would be the case even if the levees had held.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hickory said:

If the levees would have never failed surrounding New Orleans, then Katrina would be a ordinary hurricane. The army core of engineers knew one day a cat 5 hurricane would happen. They just did a piss poor job of maintaining the levees.

You totally missed the point of my post. When you make sweeping statements about an ongoing situation you are probably going to end up looking foolish. It doesn't matter if you are a US Senator or just a creepy dude on a weather board.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Storm was bad no question about it. But it wasn’t the “storm of a lifetime” nor “ the strongest to ever hit the east coast”. As media liked to hype pre storm. It all came down to blown intensity forecasts. Big difference between cat 4 and cat 1’s no matter how you slice it. 

Have you seen what is going on with flooding?

• Like 1

At this point, people are going to keep comparing it to other storms to find ways to bash the media because they WANT to be mad about something and at someone. We haven't even begun to fully realize the effects of the flooding we're in for here, nevermind what this storm is going to do in the mountain regions in the coming days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

The freshwater flooding is only just beginning, by next week several rivers will be at major to record crest heights. 

Max totals have already surpassed any hurricane there on record and will likely exceed 40". I think the economic costs will rival Sandy. 

Pretty good for "only a Category 1". 

I don't think the costs will rival that. Sandy hit a large metro area. 

58 minutes ago, NycStormChaser said:

Have you seen what is going on with flooding?

Yes.... hence why I said there is no question the storm is bad. But the flooding was in the forecast already the cat 3 or 4 at landfall was a blown forecast and that makes a huge huge difference. Instead of looking at entire shorelines of houses totally gone we are looking at just dune erosion( in most situations) 

1 hour ago, Mdecoy said:

Storm was bad no question about it. But it wasn’t the “storm of a lifetime” nor “ the strongest to ever hit the east coast”. As media liked to hype pre storm. It all came down to blown intensity forecasts. Big difference between cat 4 and cat 1’s no matter how you slice it. 

Most rain ever in tropical system for NC definitely ranks as a lifetime event for somebody. 

I'm not so sure the total impacts post Flo would've been any different. Had this been a Cat 4, it likely would've been a much smaller storm, so that only a small portion of the coast would receive those winds.

Again when people talk Harvey, they often point out the flooding, not the Cat 4 winds. 

Finally location matters, the LF location was not heavily populated, so while the winds and surge would've been higher, not a lot more people would've been affected. No Houston, New Orleans, or NYC in the way. 

1 hour ago, Mdecoy said:

Sadly, when the media hyped Harvey a lot of people did not listen (eh public officials).

If Flo had gained strength shortly before coming ashore we would all be singing a different tune. And from what I have read HERE it could have happened.

Mother Nature... gotta love her!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Most rain ever in tropical system for NC definitely ranks as a lifetime event for somebody. 

I'm not so sure the total impacts post Flo would've been any different. Had this been a Cat 4, it likely would've been a much smaller storm, so that only a small portion of the coast would receive those winds.

Again when people talk Harvey, they often point out the flooding, not the Cat 4 winds. 

Finally location matters, the LF location was not heavily populated, so while the winds and surge would've been higher, not a lot more people would've been affected. No Houston, New Orleans, or NYC in the way. 

I don't think this even begins to touch the flooding of Harvey, but maybe the final chapter hasn't been written, so I don't want to speak that soon.

If this ends up competing with Harvey in terms of flooding, then yes, we could say its a once in a lifetime thing.

A higher end storm would have made a huge different. Take a look at Hurricane Bertha from 1996, which kind of sorta had a similar landfall area. It hit as a Cat 2, and I can tell you now, damage was far more extensive to the shoreline. I was there a week after it hit. The surge just isn't the same. That is with a Cat 2. If we saw a 3 or 4 as forecast, the storm surge would have obliterated thousands and thousands of homes that are in relatively okay condition with the Cat 1. To me that is a big difference.

BerthaLandfallRadar1996.gif

20 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

I don't think this even begins to touch the flooding of Harvey, but maybe the final chapter hasn't been written, so I don't want to speak that soon.

If this ends up competing with Harvey in terms of flooding, then yes, we could say its a once in a lifetime thing.

A higher end storm would have made a huge different. Take a look at Hurricane Bertha from 1996, which kind of sorta had a similar landfall area. It hit as a Cat 2, and I can tell you now, damage was far more extensive to the shoreline. I was there a week after it hit. The surge just isn't the same. That is with a Cat 2. If we saw a 3 or 4 as forecast, the storm surge would have obliterated thousands and thousands of homes that are in relatively okay condition with the Cat 1. To me that is a big difference.

BerthaLandfallRadar1996.gif

The rain and continued TS conditions haven't allowed for a helicopter flyby of those barrier islands. Reports of surges as high as 14+ feet are circulating for parts of onslow bay. There's more of this story to be told as far as surges go. Some of the inner banks saw surges that nobody even imagined could happen. Almost 7 feet in belhaven and that's nearly double what most people ever recall. I'm in greenville way away from the coast and the tar river ran backwards and we had a 4 foot storm surge here.

Lots of this story is still to be discovered.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Could very well end up with Harvey like rain totals in spots (40-50"+) but overall the flooding damage/impact won't be as large simply because it's not in such a populated area.

Yeah we cant rival Harvey because we don't t have the population and major cities. Swansboro already was at 30 inches as of noon and it's been raining there all day. It will be hard to get 50 inches bit i could see 40. 

Storm surges were remarkable and I'd hate to see their historical importance sort of ignored.

• Like 2

I don't get why there's so much hate against the media for overplaying the storm and not against the models. Up until a couple days before landfall all the models had this forecasted to hit as a strong cat 4. All the media was doing was warning the public. The models ended up being wrong. 

• Like 1

No matter what happens the sun will still rise torrommow. Not like this is a extinction type event omg

Did you fail to notice that this is a weather and meteorological forum? You keep going on about extinction events. Since those don't occur due to tropical cyclones, I don't think anyone here is impressed with the hyperbole. We're here to discuss the effects be it marginal or severe and your self-righteous belittling diatribe has worn thin. I bet you would be tooting a different horn if you lived in any of these impact areas.

When all this is over and locations surveyed, we will see plenty of damage due to surge across the barrier islands, up inlets and estuaries; and unfortunately, several hundered thousand people will continue to be severely impacted by record breaking rainfall totals for weeks to come as the watershed continues crest and drain. Intense bands are still pushing well into and across NC. The river flooding may even surpass Matthew and Floyd when all is said and done.

• Like 1

Yes I will agree this is a significant event for NC, but with that being said If you live near a river or the coast line this is to be expected a few times in your lifetime. There is going to be massive flooding. I dont know am just not impressed yet. That opinion could change over the next few days  but so far am like meh...

Yes I will agree this is a significant event for NC, but with that being said If you live near a river or the coast line this is to be expected a few times in your lifetime. There is going to be massive flooding. I dont know am just not impressed yet. That opinion could change over the next few days  but so far am like meh...

You don't even have to live near or adjacent to a river. This much rain will flood any drainage tributary. Yes, it is expected if you live near the coast. But we're starting to get into unprecedented territory even for NC. We need Florence to move out ASAP.

• Like 1