• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

8 minutes ago, sickofit100 said:

Hello I just signed up this is my first post.

I would like to thank this forum and the very knowledgable people that share their knowledge and wisdom

It is because of this website I rode out hurricane Matthew and Now Hurricane Florence

Iam upset about the mass hysteria the media induced in the public. My wife freaked I kept telling her calm down look at weatherwx website these guys know what they are talking about. Sure things got hectic but I survived my wife panicked and evaced.  She was Just stinking hysterical Jeez! Thanks media!

AGAIN A BIG VERY HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE HERE WHO WERE TELLING  THE TRUTH AND NOT HYPING JUST TO SAVE FACE! KEEPING CALM AND MAKING ME FEEL SANE FOR THINK IT WAS OVERHYPED BOTH TIMES

That was from the heart now this is from my fist to the people who want to ban others for so called sh*t posting because they calling the hurricanes HYPED  WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH FREE SPEECH? IF YOU DONT LIKE MOVE YOUR A** TO A COMMUNIST COUNTRY WHERE THEY DONT ALLOW FREE SPEECH. DO EVERYONE A FAVOR YOU FREAKING MINI HITLERS AND MOA'S

Go HEAD CALL MY POST (THE D*MN TRUTH) A **** POST AND DONT WORRY YOU THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST AS I REALLY ONLY WANTED TO EXPRESS my gratitude to the ones that deserve. 

Solid first post, dude. Few tips - lay off capslock, makes you look uneducated/angry/weird. Also, the political stuff is even weirder. This is a private message board, the owners have every right to control the content. This also goes back to point one (looking uneducated) because you show that you don't really understand the constitution.

Where do you live?

5 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

LOL!!! how old are you???  Katrina New Orleans was under a mandatory evac order!!  How many people did NOT evac and died because of it!?  You are a lost soul.  Take your 14 posts and GTFO!

okay okay. that's enough. you guys need to all take a step back and chill out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

okay okay. that's enough. you guys need to all take a step back and chill out

sorry, I just don't get people second guessing evacs in cases like this...people get pissed cause the storm wasn't "bad" and then complain that the gov't was being cautious with peoples lives.  Get over it!  Had they not and it came in as a Cat 4 monster they'd be yelling that they should have had mandatory evacs...good lord!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

sorry, I just don't get people second guessing evacs in cases like this...people get pissed cause the storm wasn't "bad" and then complain that the gov't was being cautious with peoples lives.  Get over it!  Had they not and it came in as a Cat 4 monster they'd be yelling that they should have had mandatory evacs...good lord!!

It has always been like this, the same things happen with any other weather event especially snowstorms. 

I wish people understood all the possibilities instead of jumping on the most extreme one and going along with it.

Yeah if you ride the hype train, then anything less than a 10 will feel lackluster, which is extremely dangerous because then people let their guard down. You don't need a worse case scenario to get a lot of damage. 

20 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

wrong

IMG_7561.PNG

Wow 1-2 feet of snow in the interior mountains of West Virginia and Kentucky.  Must have been traumatizing for the tens of people who live there to deal with snow amounts which they are perfectly accustomed to.  

5 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

I've been there. Once when the Susquehanna was going to flood and people wanted to ride it out and the next day trying to get a quadriplegic out of the second floor window into a boat, all because he father thought he knew better. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It has always been like this, the same things happen with any other weather event especially snowstorms. 

I wish people understood all the possibilities instead of jumping on the most extreme one and going along with it.

Yeah if you ride the hype train, then anything less than a 10 will feel lackluster, which is extremely dangerous because then people let their guard down. You don't need a worse case scenario to get a lot of damage. 

This is true, but we can't stick our heads in the sand and ignore the flip side - why do people let there guard down?  Is it because they evacuated the last storm or two or three and the forecasts were wrong?  Do they get desensitized to the hype and then swing too far the other direction?

When there is a mandatory evacuation, people lose time at work and then incur the burden of the cost of the evacuation.  Most families can't afford it, but make it happen because the government says so.  When the storm is over and it wasn't a near miss, but a huge miss, people second guess the next time.

26 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Oh wow snow in the mountains, crazy.

13 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Wow 1-2 feet of snow in the interior mountains of West Virginia and Kentucky.  Must have been traumatizing for the tens of people who live there to deal with snow amounts which they are perfectly accustomed to.  

5 people died as a result of the snow.   i wonder if the family members of those who lost their lives were traumatized.

you are downplaying sandy

https://www-m.cnn.com/2012/10/31/us/sandy-west-virginia/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

58 minutes ago, EastKnox said:

This is true, but we can't stick our heads in the sand and ignore the flip side - why do people let there guard down?  Is it because they evacuated the last storm or two or three and the forecasts were wrong?  Do they get desensitized to the hype and then swing too far the other direction?

When there is a mandatory evacuation, people lose time at work and then incur the burden of the cost of the evacuation.  Most families can't afford it, but make it happen because the government says so.  When the storm is over and it wasn't a near miss, but a huge miss, people second guess the next time.

I think the reasoning for not evacuating is different depending on who you are talking about.

If you can afford to live in a beach house on a barrier island, you probably can afford to evacuate. You may not because you’re just dumb. 

Then you have the people drinking the dont ever trust the fake news media kool aid being served up by you know who...

Then you have the people who have been boy who cried wolf before and won’t evacuate. 

Finally, you have poor folks who can’t do it even if they tried. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EastKnox said:

Are you saying this was a huge miss?  We have people in surge areas needing to be evacuated from their attics....from their ATTICS!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Are you saying this was a huge miss?  We have people in surge areas needing to be evacuated from their attics....from their ATTICS!

No, not saying this was a miss, I'm referring to the situation that causes people to question evacuating in the future.

I'm just asking folks to acknowledge that needless evacuations end up hurting too.  They cause distrust in those making the evacuation decision and may ultimately save lives in this storm and cost them in another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastKnox said:

No, not saying this was a miss, I'm referring to the situation that causes people to question evacuating in the future.

I'm just asking folks to acknowledge that needless evacuations end up hurting too.  They cause distrust in those making the evacuation decision and may ultimately save lives in this storm and cost them in another.

They shouldn't....  in the end they are based on data on hand and that is all anyone can use to make educated decisions on these types of orders.

The evac thing is what it is.  More people are going to end up evacuating than what's ultimately necessary in a given storm, but because of the time it takes to do it and the typical uncertainty that comes with forecasting, you have to start early and do it over a large area.  

Even when the forecast was for a cat 3-4 landfall, I'd say that this storm has been more about the water - surge and rain - than the winds due to the expected slow motion, and it became even more about the water when it weakened to cat 2 and then cat 1.  As such, it's going to take longer than usual to fully realize the extent of damage.  We still have a ways to go and there will be plenty of time for post-mortems.

10 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

They shouldn't....  in the end they are based on data on hand and that is all anyone can use to make educated decisions on these types of orders.

I'll agree there.  We need better data at longer and longer lead times (for the more populous areas) to make the best decisions. 

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:
  1 hour ago, sickofit100 said:

Hello I just signed up this is my first post.

I would like to thank this forum and the very knowledgable people that share their knowledge and wisdom

It is because of this website I rode out hurricane Matthew and Now Hurricane Florence

Iam upset about the mass hysteria the media induced in the public. My wife freaked I kept telling her calm down look at weatherwx website these guys know what they are talking about. Sure things got hectic but I survived my wife panicked and evaced.  She was Just stinking hysterical Jeez! Thanks media!

AGAIN A BIG VERY HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE HERE WHO WERE TELLING  THE TRUTH AND NOT HYPING JUST TO SAVE FACE! KEEPING CALM AND MAKING ME FEEL SANE FOR THINK IT WAS OVERHYPED BOTH TIMES

That was from the heart now this is from my fist to the people who want to ban others for so called sh*t posting because they calling the hurricanes HYPED  WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH FREE SPEECH? IF YOU DONT LIKE MOVE YOUR A** TO A COMMUNIST COUNTRY WHERE THEY DONT ALLOW FREE SPEECH. DO EVERYONE A FAVOR YOU FREAKING MINI HITLERS AND MOA'S

Go HEAD CALL MY POST (THE D*MN TRUTH) A **** POST AND DONT WORRY YOU THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST AS I REALLY ONLY WANTED TO EXPRESS my gratitude to the ones that deserve. 

Solid first post, dude. Few tips - lay off capslock, makes you look uneducated/angry/weird. Also, the political stuff is even weirder. This is a private message board, the owners have every right to control the content. This also goes back to point one (looking uneducated) because you show that you don't really understand the constitution.

Where do you live?

i read the from the heart part in napoleon dynamite's voice and the from the fist part in sam kinison's and it absolutely slayed

• Like 3
  • Haha 9