• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

First, my thoughts are with all of you in harms way.  Please stay safe and sensible. 

Second, I've been a member here for almost eight years. While I understand this is a banter thread, this is by far the worse thread (as well as the one in the tropical forum) that I've followed. The administrators and moderators should be ashamed to allow some of these posts to remain here. People are losing their property and I fear there will be fatalities. So all of you that feel the urge To post nonsense over this storm, grow up!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

First, my thoughts are with all of you in harms way.  Please stay safe and sensible. 

Second, I've been a member here for almost eight years. While I understand this is a banter thread, this is by far the worse thread (as well as the one in the tropical forum) that I've followed. The administrators and moderators should be ashamed to allow some of these posts to remain here. People are losing their property and I fear there will be fatalities. So all of you that feel the urge To post nonsense over this storm, grow up!!!!

If you are referring to the posts by hickory, the poster was warned by a mod to stop.  Mods and others helping are doing this on a volunteer basis.  We can't get everything all the time.  And i've been here 10 years and the main thread is not all that bad.  There were more problems last year and previous years with the terrible posting.  Staff is trying and appreciates your feedback

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Probably because it's coming ashore in a lightly populated area versus MIA or Houston. And that it basically a giant rain storm. 

Feel for you mods, thanks for listening to me. It took a lot to say anything, I'll leave it alone now. This is a horrible post. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hickory said:

This Hurricane is a joke. People was like worse than Hazel and Fran what a joke....

I don't think this is trolling. I think this person is just being honest about his or impression of the storm.  

We all root for historic and anomolous events here. That's why we are here. It is what we do. The fact is, however, that whenever we get a significant weather event.. lives are lost.  This is true for snow and tropical.

Given the gravity of these situations, there is this unspoken edicit that we show by tempering our posts out of respect for those directly affected by the storm.

People like Hickory don't understand this.  They are "too honest". They want to see GOAT.. they think that everyone else wants to see GOAT and they don't understand why people would mask this desire.

So you get posts like the above post.. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PDIII said:

I don't think this is trolling. I think this person is just being honest about his or impression of the storm.  

We all root for historic and anomolous events here. That's why we are here. It is what we do. The fact is, however, that whenever we get a significant weather event.. lives are lost.  This is true for snow and tropical.

Given the gravity of these situations, there is this unspoken edicit that we show by tempering our posts out of respect for those directly affected by the storm.

People like Hickory don't understand this.  They are "too honest". They want to see GOAT.. they think that everyone else wants to see GOAT and they don't understand why people would mask this desire.

So you get posts like the above post.. 

Wilmington = strongest wind gusts in almost 60 years since 1960 ! The wind gusts hitting 92 miles per hour-----> "just a rainstorm" " no big deal "  The people writing such things from the comfort of your warm dry beds are clueless. If the trees on your street are still all standing and not falling or landing on your houses and your street still has blacktop and it is not a river , if you still have power this morning and if your house is in the same condition now as when you went to sleep last night be thankful but please if nothing else stop posting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many many people being interviewed saying they left shelters and returned home yesterday once the storm started getting downgraded. These same folks are saying this is the worst devastation they have ever seen and rescue efforts are non stop. This is not the NHC fault imo BUT I do think the old saffir Simpson scale needs to be retired. As a met community WE understand it and WE understand surge etc and how a Cat 1 can often be as devastating as a Cat 3-4 but Joe Public hears downgrade and assumes the all clear has been sounded. Just my $.02 irt to SS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Many many people being interviewed saying they left shelters and returned home yesterday once the storm started getting downgraded. These same folks are saying this is the worst devastation they have ever seen and rescue efforts are non stop. This is not the NHC fault imo BUT I do think the old saffir Simpson scale needs to be retired. As a met community WE understand it and WE understand surge etc and how a Cat 1 can often be as devastating as a Cat 3-4 but Joe Public hears downgrade and assumes the all clear has been sounded. Just my $.02 irt to SS

Fantastic post and I couldn’t agree more. Just look at S****. (I’m an nyc poster so I will not use its real name)

I think surge should either have its own catagory or be included in the parameters.

on another note I nailed the landfall location when I said Carolina Beach 

• Like 1