• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

2 hours ago, oldnorthstate said:

this is going to be the fake news hurricane that breaks the camel's back.  think millions are going to keep evacuating absurdly early going forward?  

or maybe i'm pissed my flight was cancelled because nobody ever really knows where these things are going, and yet we get the same thing we get every single year.  WORST HURRICANE EVER COMING!!!  

sunny and 10 mph winds and we can't fly because foxnews and cnn scared everybody.  

you mean a cat 5 isn't going to hit the Carolinas afterall?  no ****ing way...

A friend of mine has family who live in the mandatory evacuation area in VA. According my friend his family thinks the order to evacuate was issued too early. And they have also told him that some in their area will not take the next mandatory evacuation orders all that seriously.

Just now, hazwoper said:

It had 70 kt (80 mph) sustained when it made landfall in Brigantine, but it was no longer a hurricane at that point.  wind  speed is not the only factor

i'm just curious about the actual observation of 77mph sustained.  i know there were gusts above hurricane force but i was not aware of any one location actually recording true hurricane conditions.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, Bob was pretty much a Cape Cod special.

The storms we had this past March had a greater impact on the Merrimack Valley area of MA than what Bob did. Even the Halloween storm last year was worse than Bob. As we both know,Sandy wasn't a hurricane but it still packed a wallop.

4 minutes ago, e46and2 said:

yea but sandy.  also, consider for a moment, sandy.

but, and potentially most important, sandy.

And on the 3rd day god created Sandy.  and all other things didn't matter.

Sandy caused the dinosaurs to become extinct.

Sandy caused the Hindenburg to explode.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

It’s just nyc posters doing their thing. We have to accept that because the staff has no interest in ending the 15 year old tradition of them ruining every EC threat. 

i would suggest to lighten up.  this began as a valid comparison, simply to highlight the potential impact from Florence despite the weakening trend.  then there was an effort to clampdown on the sandy comparisons, and we see what good that did.  this is a banter thread, after all, and the comparison was always about Florence.

now we are just having a good time at the expense of those who were initially sensitive about the comparison.  the initial intent was to highlight the continued danger of florence.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldnorthstate said:

virginia had a mandatory evacuation starting at 8 AM on Tuesday.

think about how ridiculous this is and how this impacts future storms and when there actually may be trouble.  

I completely agree with this.  Virginia was never really in the cross-hairs.  Completely unnecessary to evacuate them.  

Myrtle Beach cam, kids walking around casually, some people fishing and playing in the surf like nothing's happening

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/?cam=myrtlebeach_hd

North Topsail live storm chaser, he's driving around, freaking about the breaches in the dunes, stressin' 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzgZEgAJCVk

On one hand, I agree, and in this case since the storm was approaching east to west moreso, you have a better idea where it is going.

however, what do you do in an Irma situation where a difference of 200 miles in where it makes the turn can be the difference between a landfall in the Carolinas and going into the gulf?