• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

13 minutes ago, oldnorthstate said:

ok, but america failed this hurricane.  mass hysteria two weeks out is a bad idea.

wonder how many lives are lost during the needless evacs?     

SMH.

probably zero.  this is a first world country and this was not a last minute doomsday scenario.  you're bitter because your flight was cancelled, and you somehow found a way to blame the news for that.  shut up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’m laughing at all the NYC posters right now.....

why?  we had an 85mph storm that changed lives forever.  no analogy is 100% accurate, but it's a valid comparison for those who think this is a completely diminished threat.  i think there is too much black and white here, when these things are always gray.  no, it will not be a cat 4 (or 3) at landfall.  it also won't be a non-event.  those who do lose life or property won't care much that this storm didn't meet its destructive potential.

• Thanks 1

Just now, e46and2 said:

why?  we had an 85mph storm that changed lives forever.  no analogy is 100% accurate, but it's a valid comparison for those who think this is a completely diminished threat.  i think there is too much black and white here, when these things are always gray.  no, it will not be a cat 4 (or 3) at landfall.  it also won't be a non-event.  those who do lose life or property won't care much that this storm didn't meet its destructive potential.

That is why I am laughing at them. They are downplaying it because they hold Sandy as a badge of honor. 

43 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I don't think some of you understand the impact from such a large wind field, again, see Sandy. 

And the rainfall and flooding will be enough to keep everyone's attention. At the end of the day, nobody will remember that a narrow area of beach didn't receive cat 4 winds, which would have happened with a tight core system.

This will not be as large as Sandy's windfield.

Sandy was much larger in the ocean than this storm is right now.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

That is why I am laughing at them. They are downplaying it because they hold Sandy as a badge of honor. 

No one is downplaying this

What people are saying is that Florence was modeled to be a cat 3 or 4 upon landfall and now it's only going to be a 2 which is still very bad.

The rain is going to be the worse part of this storm.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

an analogy is not a comparison of two identical things.  there are comparisons to be made in certain regards to sandy, mostly to highlight how peak winds are hardly the be-all end-all parameter for judging the danger of a system.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

I see you are new here.  Do us and yourself a favor...read more and post less ;)

image.png.0340fc948cf0de084b5d55a4d88a2006.png

Looks like he actually joined in 2010, so maybe he does read more and post less??

He may be bitter due to the missed flight and all, but it shouldn't erase the validity of one of his points...desensitizing of the public after many "cry wolf" situations.  A coworker of mine who telecommutes from the area evacuated as requested on Tuesday at 12 noon.  After seeing some irresponsible social media posts AND official media dubbing this the "storm of a lifetime," they decided to move even farther inland.  I urged them to follow the NHC and their recommendations rather than watch the sensational news stories.  And from the fact that a normal 4 hour trip took them 10 hours, I'm guessing many others did the same.   If they go back home next week after losing time from work and spending money on a one week hotel stay only to find nothing happened, they'll be more hesitant to act the next time.  I have family living in Beaufort that began packing as soon as the governor ordered their evacuation.  They got on the road early to beat the traffic only to find out that the evacuation was cancelled the next morning.  They then had to immediately turn around to get back to work.  I wonder if they'll hesitate the next time an evacuation order is issued.

Most of us posting on this forum understand the difficulties in forecasting this stuff and know that when "storm of a lifetime" was thrown around on Tuesday, that it could very well be that or not.  The general public is too trusting of the media who frequently leave out pertinent info so that the viewer will draw the most sensational conclusion.

As the population of these coastlines continues to increase, it makes the decisions even harder for authorities.  Our current technology doesn't allow us to pinpoint with confidence until about 24-36 hours out, but with the population increasing, that isn't enough time to get everyone out of harm's way.  We're between a rock and a hard place and the sensationalizing media rarely helps.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I wasn't comparing the overall impacts. Just pointing out how a storm this size can produce storm surge far greater than whatever category it happens to be at LF.

In all seriousness....Sandy was great and all, but this is a thread about Florence.   Florence.  We talkin' 'bout Florence.   Florence.   Not Sandy...but Florence.  We sitting here in a thread about Florence and trying to talk about Florence.  Not Sandy.  Florence.  We talkin' bout Florence.  Florence.   We ain't talkin' bout Sandy.  We talkin' Florence, man.   Florence,man   I'm not shoving Sandy aside like it don't mean nothin'...but Florence.  We sitting here  talkin' bout Florence.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

In all seriousness....Sandy was great and all, but this is a thread about Florence.   Florence.  We talkin' 'bout Florence.   Florence.   Not Sandy...but Florence.  We sitting here in a thread about Florence and trying to talk about Florence.  Not Sandy.  Florence.  We talkin' bout Florence.  Florence.   We ain't talkin' bout Sandy.  We talkin' Florence, man.   Florence,man   I'm not shoving Sandy aside like it don't mean nothin'...but Florence.  We sitting here  talkin' bout Florence.  

I see what you did there....

image.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Your prejudices are showing.  Ain't no black woman named Sandy.