• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

2018-09-11_124835.JPG&key=58caf1d3faf79eb85a43741dfd52719b8e912423c4eb486e8724d82487dad598

Maybe I'm forgetting but I don't recall seeing a storm with that satellite presentation before.  What's the deal with the fingers of cooler cloud tops oriented straight out from the center?

It's due to strong divergence aloft. You have strong upper level airflow jets away from the convection that stretches the high cirrus clouds. It creates finger-like linear striations / furrows in the cloud canopy's appearance. Essentially, the CDO is being stretched and it's also a sign of strong outflow channeling establishing.

• Like 2

Just now, Vice-Regent said:

Anyone wishcasting this hurricane to their backyard is out of their damn mind. Hopelessly batsh** crazy. That's all I got. One of the rare instances where I would rather observe from a distance.

Indeed.  I, for one, do am not wanting to be without power for weeks at the end of Virginia summer.:yikes:

Many of those in the Lumber River / Lumberton NC area still have not fully recovered from Hurricane Matthew less than two years ago. If the models predicting Florence inland 'stall' over southeast NC prove true, that is a cruel fate for those poor people. This time there will be better preparedness, but  so unfortunate to lose again what they have managed to rebuild  

12z Euro is...interesting. If it holds on to that solution and it verifies, I'll be willing to hail King Euro forever and ever. But I'm skeptical.

Edit: For discussion's sake I'll say that the 12z Euro is showing Flo stalling out just off Wilmington for ~3 days then scooting south and making landfall in Charleston.

38 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

sup...i'm unbanned.  glad the mods saw the light and went SEP and it was fun watching you all trash njwx85, mr "this is definitely hitting as a cat 4"

anyone else think icyclone should have chased mangkut? it's looking like irma for sure

avn0-lalo.gif

figured there was a reason behind you being so quiet.

at least he's chasing one of the two.

11 minutes ago, jburns said:

I do sales for a large international hotel brand and I have been working with Duke Energy here in Wilmington since last Thursday to find housing for around 500 rooms starting tomorrow for 10 days.  Most hotels in the area have several disaster relief groups already in house or checking in tomorrow. 

It looks like it’s going to be ugly here but it appears as though appropriate steps are being made in preparation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

sup...i'm unbanned.  glad the mods saw the light and went SEP and it was fun watching you all trash njwx85, mr "this is definitely hitting as a cat 4" anyone else think icyclone should have chased mangkut? it's looking like irma for sureavn0-lalo.gif&key=62bac3119fe4455c9e482f6b82daab97e87a1b8c3c156eec2afd610509b30b50

Exposure. Exposure. Exposure. Western media and the threat is great in a highly publicized event. The possibility of a stall on the coastline could also make for a long-duration event. Something Josh has not had a lot of dealings with versus short intense landfalls. Also he already explained his reasoning in potential difficulties in chasing and penetrating Mangkhut in the Luzon Strait as well. I think he made a good call.

3 hours ago, the ghost of leroy said:

sup...i'm unbanned.  glad the mods saw the light and went SEP and it was fun watching you all trash njwx85, mr "this is definitely hitting as a cat 4"

anyone else think icyclone should have chased mangkut? it's looking like irma for sure

avn0-lalo.gif

It’s really too bad we do not have recon in the West pac anymore. Mangkut is probably something ridiculous like 910 170mph. The 80 degree therm is extremely deep in that part of the pacific. Imagine having the waters of the SW Caribbean continue for another 1000 miles. That’s how you end up with the strongest tropical cyclones on earth