• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd say it will be a reasonable success if we keep the death toll out of triple digits.  

Sadly I agree. You know there are going to be people on the barrier islands that get inundated, and if it tracks down towards sc/ga that just further exsatribates the issues because they weren’t really fully expecting this.

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Sadly I agree. You know there are going to be people on the barrier islands that get inundated, and if it tracks down towards sc/ga that just further exsatribates the issues because they weren’t really fully expecting this.

They need to get out now!  The surge is going to be awful.  But alas, many will stay and many will pay...

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Staying behind in some of these areas is a death wish.  

I wonder if we will get some numbers in the next day or two about how many people decided to not evacuate from various areas.

15 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Floyd was a cat 2 on landfall..it killed 73 people in the US. 

Ike was a cat 2 at landfall, it killed 110 people in the us and did 30 billion in damage.

Isabelle was a cat 2 and did 5.5 billion in damage and killed roughly 50 people. 

Stop downplaying it. 

The category system is the worst.  Surge should be the most important factor in rating a storm since it's the killer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

The category system is the worst.  Surge should be the most important factor in rating a storm since it's the killer.

I think we need to find a way to better account for freshwater flooding. Harvey was cat 4, but the winds are not what caused most of the problems. 

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

I think we need to find a way to better account for freshwater flooding. Harvey was cat 4, but the winds are not what caused most of the problems. 

Yeah, maybe rate each factor 1-5 (freshwater flood, surge, wind) and take the highest one..  There's no perfect way, but not accounting for the deadly effects is a mistake imo.

16 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I just don't understand the rationale behind staying on a barrier island with this monster looming. They know what the barrier is for, right? What has to be said to convince them to get out of the way?

The people who choose to stay put a price on their lives - the few hundred dollars it would have cost to evacuate.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I wonder if we get a full blown landfall around Emerald Isle and not this hang just offshore thing. Florence is tracking a bit right today (and at decent speed) and would have to bend west more significantly to put the landfall down around ILM.  

Some of the 18z guidance are coming in NE of previous runs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's not a standard Carolina storm.  The surge doesn't just go poof.

The storm is weakening right now. Surge forecasts will decline as well. And the track is also east of forecast. This likely landfalls east of 12z suite and diminishes quicker.