• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

I was ski touring at Bolton Valley yesterday with a colleague from work and our sons, so I can pass along some snow observations and photos.  As I mentioned earlier, we were out when that first round of squalls hit, and that was quite impressive with visibilities below 100 feet at times on the mountain.  I generally found 16 to 20 inches of snow in the 1,500’ to 2,500’ elevation range, but it’s getting hard to tell how much base there is below some of that snow now that the pack is starting to settle in with more compression from above.  The report from the Mt. Mansfield Stake yesterday was 23 inches, so it seems like snowpack depths in the 3,000’ – 4,000’ elevation range in this area are around that 2-foot mark.

With the heavy snow squalls coming through, the weather on our tour was quite variable, ranging from whiteout to near sunshine with breaks in the clouds.  So it was a fantastic workout for the waterproof breathable gear, and especially the photo gear.  If you want to test the limits of your camera and lenses, shooting in 2+ inch per hour snowfall with driving winds is a great way to do it.

I’ve got some photos below, and additional photos and text are in the report linked above.

21NOV18D.jpg

21NOV18F.jpg

21NOV18H.jpg

21NOV18I.jpg

21NOV18L.jpg

21NOV18K.jpg

21NOV18R.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, borderwx said:

It is getting silly now. First thanksgiving I need to shovel the roof off :).  Started the day -5F, still in single digits now.

Happy Thanksgiving NNE

one to remember, for sure

No kidding. Happy Thanksgiving! Took a couple of shots today while getting condos ready for check ins. The snow depth is amazing for this time of the year. As is the high of 7. 

C55877A0-64C7-485C-8DE8-DE14E53434F1.jpeg

CC53EE10-5943-4335-B393-17F2E471924F.jpeg

• Like 2

Event totals: 4.0” Snow/0.27” L.E.

We were out of town most of the day yesterday on holiday travel, so the final snow from the cold front/squalls that we had in the morning is being reported today.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.3

Snow Density: 7.5% H2O

Temperature: -1.5 F

Sky:  Clear

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches

22 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I was ski touring at Bolton Valley yesterday with a colleague from work and our sons, so I can pass along some snow observations and photos.  As I mentioned earlier, we were out when that first round of squalls hit, and that was quite impressive with visibilities below 100 feet at times on the mountain.  I generally found 16 to 20 inches of snow in the 1,500’ to 2,500’ elevation range, but it’s getting hard to tell how much base there is below some of that snow now that the pack is starting to settle in with more compression from above.  The report from the Mt. Mansfield Stake yesterday was 23 inches, so it seems like snowpack depths in the 3,000’ – 4,000’ elevation range in this area are around that 2-foot mark.

With the heavy snow squalls coming through, the weather on our tour was quite variable, ranging from whiteout to near sunshine with breaks in the clouds.  So it was a fantastic workout for the waterproof breathable gear, and especially the photo gear.  If you want to test the limits of your camera and lenses, shooting in 2+ inch per hour snowfall with driving winds is a great way to do it.

I’ve got some photos below, and additional photos and text are in the report linked above.

21NOV18D.jpg

21NOV18F.jpg

21NOV18H.jpg

21NOV18I.jpg

21NOV18L.jpg

21NOV18K.jpg

21NOV18R.jpg

Awesome Jspin I look forward to your reports every year, and I feel like we grew up with your boy. Seems like yesterday he was just a kid skiing like he was born with them on his feet

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, mreaves said:

Winter Weather Advisory for freezing rain tomorrow night. 

The BTV NWS is thinking the potential is there for 0.1-0.2 inches of freezing rain, with 0.2-0.5 inches of total liquid.  So it looks like we can add some liquid to the snowpack, but there isn’t really any snow with this system.  I just cored the pack here and it currently has 0.99 inches of liquid in it.

I got an alert on my phone that we’re under a Winter Storm Warning here in Washington County, and I see that maps are up from the BTV NWS.  Summed up through Wednesday the forecast here at our place is roughly 6-12”, but I’m sure temps in the lower elevations will have a lot to say about how that plays out.  The advisories map is quite a collection of colors, with Winter Storm Warnings Focused around the center of the state, and the projected accumulations map suggests that area could see 8-12” of snow along the higher elevations of the spine.

26NOV18A.jpg

26NOV18B.jpg

It's so warm out, hard to believe a big storm is coming. Stayed around 33 all night, pack is down to 8-10", but should be pretty solid once it freezes over again. Good base stuff. As always in this area, tough to know what exactly we'll be getting... have a feeling the back side of the storm will be the best part for us, but we'll see!

The BTV NWS forecast discussion did have some thoughts on totals at elevation for this storm cycle through Wednesday.  These are generally in line with the Mansfield upper elevation point forecast, and presumably apply for similar spots at elevation like Jay Peak, depending on how the backside of the storm plays out:

“When all is said and done at the end of Wednesday night, the spine of the Greens and high peaks of the Dacks will have 12 to 18 inches of snow. I won`t be surprised to hear of somewhere getting 2 feet. As we become more under the influence of the upper level low, snow ratios will be 10-13 to 1.”

43 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

The BTV NWS forecast discussion did have some thoughts on totals at elevation for this storm cycle through Wednesday.  These are generally in line with the Mansfield upper elevation point forecast, and presumably apply for similar spots at elevation like Jay Peak, depending on how the backside of the storm plays out:

“When all is said and done at the end of Wednesday night, the spine of the Greens and high peaks of the Dacks will have 12 to 18 inches of snow. I won`t be surprised to hear of somewhere getting 2 feet. As we become more under the influence of the upper level low, snow ratios will be 10-13 to 1.”

Exciting stuff.  Reading through the afd, with the flow after the storm, it seems there could be more than 2’ when all is said and done.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.47” L.E.

Snow has been mixed in with rain much of the evening, but I first noticed around 11:00 P.M. that the precipitation was fully over to snow and it was accumulating, so I emptied the rain gauge and cleared the snowboards.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.5

Snow Density: 40.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.7 F

Sky:  Snow (2-18 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

• Like 1

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.81” L.E.

Watching The Weather Channel yesterday evening, I noticed that this current storm has been named Winter Storm Bruce due to its impacts thus far.  Temperatures here in the Winooski Valley have come down just a bit overnight allowing for better accumulation than what we had yesterday evening at the start of the event.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.33 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.5

Snow Density: 18.3% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky:  Snow (3-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

About 2.5" wet paste on the ground (and everything) in BTV. Was 0" when I left the house at 5am, and when I returned at 9 there was about 2"...so it snowed pretty well this AM.  I'd say 6-10" as you gained elevation. I'm sure that 10" is 12" now. 

Feels like NWS should have gone with a WWA for the champlain valley for this one. I know temps are "warm" but this is messy slippery snow that is falling at a good pace. Much snowier than I expected BTV to be. 

Event totals: 6.0” Snow/1.28” L.E.

I headed in to Burlington this morning to take care of some errands and get a bit of work done, and found that snowfall rates increased substantially as went westward.  The flakes were quite large, 10 to 30 mm in diameter, and snowfall rates were often very heavy, with visibility in the ¼ mile range.  Heading back home to Waterbury, that heavy snowfall was with me all the way, and the radar shows how impressive some of these returns are, with a few 40-45 db pixels showing up in the Burlington area on the composite radar (image below).  Snowfall intensity is fairly high here at the house now as well – it seems to be running in the 1-2”/hr. range.  From the radar it really looks like there’s some pivoting, or certainly some sort of directional shift going on:

27NOV18A.gif

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:  

New Snow: 4.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.47 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.7

Snow Density: 11.5% H2O

Temperature: 34.9 F

Sky:  Heavy Snow (5-30 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.0 inches