• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

7.9" final on the synoptic side here. Well see if any upslope materializes down this way.

23.3" for NOV-looking a COOP data, this would be #2 all time snowiest Nov for any valley towns from DDH up through RUT. Maybe not a great direct comparison, because my spot seems somewhat snowier than RUT, DDH, or the old COOPS around here. But its still a valley location on the west side of the greens.  Rutland cocorahs sites only have  around 8" for NOV.

SVT ski area totals

Stratton 19" at 9am

Magic 14" at 830

Bromley- 12-14"

Mt Snow-19"--although this report from Mt Snow of 19" of "powder" seems a little misleading.

11:39 AM TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2018

UPDATE at 11:30a.m.: The Bluebird Express, Challenger, Nitro Express, and Discovery Shuttle are all now open and ready to take you up to enjoy 19" of P-O-W-D-E-R! 

34 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Flow definitely looks blocked down this way. Taconics in SVT and WMA getting lit up right now. Getting some upslope scraps with what moisture does make it over the Taconics into the valley and Greens.

I think it'll be quite blocked...given the low pressure position further south than the optimal location NW of FVE.  When the low is about on the same latitude as us, we get a lot of veering in the low levels with more NNW flow funneling through the Champlain Valley.  This stacks the air up on the western side of the Champlain Valley and into the western slopes.  Not a ton of "oomph" to get the moisture over the crest and into the east side like a 40-50kt NW flow H85 jet would. 

I think the western slopes get another 3-6" at least, with locally up to 8" in this neck of the woods.  Here east of the spine I'd expect another 1-3" type accumulation at home.

10 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Man, what are you at for Nov...40"+?

Wish I kept track. It must be close.

Another 4” from the last driveway clearing, most of that before midnight 

kind of hoping for a 2” day today. Trees and power lines are all on the edge. The winds kick up and it is going to be another generator assisted dinner

Event totals: 10.2” Snow/1.72” L.E.

After the past couple rounds of snow being in the 11-12% H2O range, this one came in around 8% H2O.  We’ve still been generally above freezing down at our site, but we’re slightly cooler and flake structure may have changed as well to promote the loftier accumulations.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.7

Snow Density: 7.9% H2O

Temperature: 33.8 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I think the western slopes get another 3-6" at least, with locally up to 8" in this neck of the woods.  Here east of the spine I'd expect another 1-3" type accumulation at home.

Speaking of the western slopes, my older son was out of school yesterday due to the snow, so we were able to get out for a tour at Bolton in the afternoon.  The BV snow report indicates that Timberline is strictly closed to traffic right now (perhaps due to chairlift work) so we headed up to the main base for our tour, and that turned out to be a great starting point.  We did numerous snow depth checks and found 18-20” of accumulation at the 2,000’ level.   I think the storm must have been snow right from the start above 2,000’ because there really wasn’t any depth increase beyond that, even up above 3,000’.  In any event 18-20” is pretty hefty, so thank god there were well established skin tracks in place.  Temperatures were in the upper 20s at 2,000’, so all the snow up there was quite dry.  It certainly wasn’t Champlain Powder™ fluff, but it was nice medium-weight powder with a right-side-up distribution and the skiing was fantastic – definitely a day for the fat boards.  I was surprised to see the resort only reporting only 14” of new snow, so either that was earlier, or some of the underlying snow blended with the new snow, but it certainly didn’t seem that way.  The actual action photography was quite a challenge because we’re talking oncoming dusk, late November light, and continued snowfall, but I used my brightest lens and we did our best with the light we had.  I’ve added a few shots from the tour below, and there are some others in the report linked above.

27NOV18D.jpg

27NOV18E.jpg

27NOV18A.jpg

27NOV18B.jpg

27NOV18H.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming no more here, storm total was 7.1" with 0.78" LE.  Had 5.5" thru 7A yesterday, only 1" from then to 2P, then 0.6" overnight.  (Plus 0.22" RA 2-9P yesterday.)  November total now 23.4" and will probably finish there; previous record 17.0" in 2014.  Below are the top 5 Novembers (and all those 20"+) in the 125 years at the Farmington co-op:

31.6"  1943
31.5"  1921
23.2"  1945
23.0"  1968
20.5"  1898

I'm usually pretty close to the co-op for snow, so this year should rank in the 3rd-5th range there.  Top 2 look safe.

• Like 1

Event totals: 12.0” Snow/2.04” L.E.

There’s certainly been some diurnal nature to the snow density over the past 24 hours down here in the bottom of the Winooski Valley – it was up in the 11-12% H2O range yesterday, then came down to roughly 8% H2O overnight, and today’s accumulation was back up to the ~18% H2O we had near the beginning of the storm.  Indeed the snowfall has been bringing plenty of liquid equivalent with it though – we picked up almost a third of an inch in the past 10 hours and the total storm liquid has passed two inches.  It’s got to be even more liquid equivalent than that in the mountains, so what a superb shot of liquid for the snowpack.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.32 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.6

Snow Density: 17.8% H2O

Temperature: 34.2 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.5 inches

• Like 1