• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

33.8/27F  temps continue to fall.  Moderate snow.   1/2" in past 30 minutes since it switched to all snow.  Just took a ride.  Up at the top of my hill 1500 feet perhaps 2" with lots of sagging pines.  Down at the bottom of my hill at Newfound Lake level 587 feet (I think) its a 50/50 rain/snow mix no accumulation

Looks like backedge getting closer.  

This was the backyard about 1.5 hours ago when I measured 0.5"... coming down steadily but we are about at the bottom of the snow level.  Very soggy snow. 

It's a nice surprise as I really didn't think this one had a chance below 1,500ft, a nice tick cooler in the end and this is a helluva lot better than another rain storm.

oDUJnwQ.jpg

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.47” L.E.

At some point between 5:00 P.M. and 8:00 P.M. the precipitation was fully over to snow, but accumulations still took a while to take hold with air temperatures in the mid to upper 30s F here at 500’.  I made an analysis of this first part of the storm now that snow is accumulating more easily, and the liquid from the snow clogging the upper portion of the rain gauge was right in line with the liquid from the snow on the snowboard.  The accumulated snow thus far is not surprisingly quite sloppy and saturated with water.

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.16 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.9

Snow Density: 53.3% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Light/Moderate Snow

Snow at the stake: Trace

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

36.9F and pouring sleet. Probably 75/25 sleet/rain.

Brian, glad you're getting some frozen.  Precip has become very light and back to a mix here   33.6F which is my low.   Funny how people sometimes say.  "oh the ground is too warm, nothing should stick".  Well, my 3/4" inch all came down at 34-36F.  Dirt road is covered too.  Was up around 40F today and has not been below freezing much at night.  So to me its all a fallacy  that snow can't stick with warm ground, it sure can and doesn't have to pound at 1/8 mile and heavy snow either.

snow.jpg

2.0" here and the trees are filthy with snow/slush, so I'll probably get fairly wet when I go chase the critters in a few minutes, even though it's only light dz now.  LE of 0.35" is a guess, as when I took the snow sample at 7 there had been perhaps 0.45" (of storm total 0.84") RA atop the white.  Better than all rain.

• Like 1

The precipitation here at observations time this morning was just a mix of mist/drizzle/light rain, but about 15 minutes ago we had some ticks of sleet, and then snow began to appear.  It looks like we’re getting into the backside portion of the event now with the anticipated LES/upslope snow, which is right in line with the BTV NWS forecast discussion.  They suggest the potential for an additional 2-4” in the Mansfield to Jay Peak region:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

627 AM EST Sat Nov 10 2018

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...

As of 627 AM EST Saturday...Forecast continues to play out well with primary low pressure tracking northeast into southern Quebec early this morning while a secondary low tracks over Cape Cod. Through mid-morning rain and drizzle will transition to orographic and lake effect snow showers as the primary low drags a surface cold front through the region. As far as snow accumulations go, they`ll be localized to the western Adirondacks and portions of the northern Greens where upslope conditions are favored, but overall moisture thins through time so only expecting additional accumulations of a dusting to 2 inches below 2000 feet, with the summits of the northern Greens from Mansfield to Jay Peak perhaps picking up an additional 2-4". Based on the fropa timing, temps won`t budge too much today, peaking mid-day in the mid 30s to around 40.

Since Bolton Valley doesn’t have its webcam in operation yet, and they’re not making immediate snow reports, I didn’t have a sense for how much snow they’d gotten out of this storm.  With the way this storm seemed to favor the eastern slopes around here, I was wondering about what the western slopes accumulated, so I quickly popped up to the mountain to assess the potential for turns.

Any snow accumulations disappeared as I dropped down into Bolton Flats, and at the Base of the Bolton Valley Access Road (340’) there was no accumulation, and there weren’t any signs of white until I hit 1,000’.  So I’d say that indeed, accumulating snow levels are definitely lower on the eastern slopes – snow at 1,000’ was about equivalent to 500’ here along the spine.  The snow depths did eventually did go up dramatically with elevation however.  Here’s the elevation profile I found for depths of new snow:

340’:  0”

1,000’:  Trace

1,200’:  1”

1,500’:  3-4”

2,000’:  6-8”

That’s as high as I went, but indeed the snow depths increased rapidly above 1,500’.  It was pounding huge flakes of snow up there as well, so they’re certainly picking up more.  Hopefully I’ll head up for a ski tour, and if I do I’ll report from higher up as well.