Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

Just now, SR Airglow said:

If you're snowing well at 730' in VT I'd think there and up in NH and ME are in for a good night. 

The HRRR didn't have the valley snowing till like 8pm tonight. 

Nice to see the two ASOS of MVL and MPV reporting snow.

MPV a bit higher up is 32/32.  Could be a nice pasting for someone tonight.

When I got to the Waterbury area around 4:30 P.M. this afternoon the precipitation here at around 500’ was rain, but there were clearly crystals in the raindrops visible on my windshield.  Since then the precipitation has changed over to a more obvious mix of rain and snow and it’s just starting to accumulate on elevated surfaces.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

The HRRR didn't have the valley snowing till like 8pm tonight. 

Nice to see the two ASOS of MVL and MPV reporting snow.

MPV a bit higher up is 32/32.  Could be a nice pasting for someone tonight.

And that's been on the more aggressive side of guidance too when it comes to cold and snow with this one. Somewhere like Alex's spot could see double digits if it keeps progressing like this I'd think.

Just now, SR Airglow said:

And that's been on the more aggressive side of guidance too when it comes to cold and snow with this one. Somewhere like Alex's spot could see double digits if it keeps progressing like this I'd think.

Yeah the only thing for Alex would be the strong SE flow as he's on the northern slope, I'd think the best will be on the southeast side of the MWN/high terrain there... Wildcat?

But yeah, this all bodes well for the NH/ME peeps.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah the only thing for Alex would be the strong SE flow as he's on the northern slope, I'd think the best will be on the southeast side of the MWN/high terrain there... Wildcat?

But yeah, this all bodes well for the NH/ME peeps.

Look at the difference between your spot and the west slope. Anybody on east side of whites and into Maine should do well. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Look at the difference between your spot and the west slope. Anybody on east side of whites and into Maine should do well. 

Yeah we are getting some upslope cooling most likely despite the low valley elevation?  I mean its down to 32.7F (33F) now and I noticed MVL dew dropped to 32F and now 1.5sm wet snow.

But yeah, look at around Stowe its 32-34F temps with snow while east of the mountain it's mid-to-upper 30s even at comparable elevations.

ZzyvstN.jpg

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah we are getting some upslope cooling most likely despite the low valley elevation?  I mean its down to 32.7F (33F) now and I noticed MVL dew dropped to 32F and now 1.5sm wet snow.

But yeah, look at around Stowe its 32-34F temps with snow while east of the mountain it's mid-to-upper 30s even at comparable elevations.

ZzyvstN.jpg

Maybe not directly coming at 750’ but overall upward motion on east side of spine will help cool the column. Add to that the process of cooling from melting. That’s your 32-33 snow.

37.3/32   Catpaws...

It's a bit mentally unsettling to have a 62 year old man running outside and watching for a mangled snowflake on a car windshield.  Neighbor that just drove by is going to report me for odd behavior.  That being said  I just looked at Alex's cam and he's over to accumulating snow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Maybe not directly coming at 750’ but overall upward motion on east side of spine will help cool the column. Add to that the process of cooling from melting. That’s your 32-33 snow.

Yeah I look at it as a more broad lift on the east side.  Parcels start rising in eastern VT and just keep going until there's downward motion aloft on the west side of the crest.  I think of it like water flowing over a barrier in a river...you get the upstream backup and then it all crashes down on the other side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I look at it as a more broad lift on the east side.  Parcels start rising in eastern VT and just keep going until there's downward motion aloft on the west side of the crest.  I think of it like water flowing over a barrier in a river...you get the upstream backup and then it all crashes down on the other side.

Exactly. And these regions show up nice on dual pol CC. Can see Mitch in srn VT getting snow while rain is west near Bennington and points passed there. 

The intellicast p-type radar is pretty good.  You can see how it started with rain in the mountain valleys but then sort of flashed over to a more widespread snow look east of the Spine.

We'll see how long we can hold it. 

I will say, this event trended quite a bit more wintry in the final couple days.  I thought there was about zero chance of even snow mixing in down here under 1,500-2,000ft a couple days ago.

eVOuaoo.gif

44 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

37.3/32   Catpaws...

It's a bit mentally unsettling to have a 62 year old man running outside and watching for a mangled snowflake on a car windshield.  Neighbor that just drove by is going to report me for odd behavior.  That being said  I just looked at Alex's cam and he's over to accumulating snow

Yes it's snowing and sticking nicely. I'm surprised it started sticking so quickly to the driveway considering the relatively warm day 

The wettest 0.5" of snow ever at 750ft.  You can squeeze the water out of a snowball of this stuff.

32.5F.  A little concerned with how much the evergreen branches are drooping with only a half inch of snow on them.  A bunch of branches are bent to the ground already.  I bet some of those come down if we can get towards 2" of this 5:1 ratio slop.

Bodes well for the higher elevations though.

3lrkSkv.jpg

35.5/29  Moderate snow mixed with rain. Finally, after 2 hours I have gone over to mostly snow.  Congrats to much of NNE where snow is falling.  

Alex's webcam showing a winter wonderland as of 8pm.  Places that are getting some good accumulations are going to keep it for a while

snow.jpg