• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

Posted this in banter but any insight from folks would help. 

I just this year purchased a cabin in Wardsboro, VT in between Stratton and Mount Snow. I am at 1,800'. Anyone know that general area well and their experience with how well they do with snow in general, types of events, etc. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, redbanknjandbigbasslakepa said:

Posted this in banter but any insight from folks would help. 

I just this year purchased a cabin in Wardsboro, VT in between Stratton and Mount Snow. I am at 1,800'. Anyone know that general area well and their experience with how well they do with snow in general, types of events, etc. Thanks!

Good spot for snow! Wardsboro does well in nor'easters and SWFEs (or basically any type of event with a low level flow out of the NE, E, or SE) because it will upslope with easterly flow. It is, however, a bit too far east of the Green Mountain spine axis to get much in the way of snow from westerly flow upslope save for maybe flurries or light snow showers if the westerly flow is unblocked. I'd guess your spot averages around 110-120" per year.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

18" at MWN observatory and 6 foot drifts.  Their social media video was nuts.

I will have to check that out. I was seeing pics from the backcountry skiers. I miss it for sure. I am definitely doing a winter trip for some turns though.

1 hour ago, alex said:

It's ridiculously cold. 31.8 with occasional snow showers. 

Interesting that the slight difference in elevation that makes my location so cold in radiational cooling also made a difference in this storm. We have just some very patchy coverage left and the hotel just down the street is still pretty decently covered. 

It's frigid for October 25th.

We are down to 32F and Montpelier has slipped below freezing to 31F.  Both sites were mid-30s at midnight with a slow drop all morning.

I'm seeing a lot of meso-stations above about 1,000ft now in northern VT falling into the upper 20s.  It's 27F at 1,500ft base of the ski resort.  Midday in October!

On the drive to work this morning there was a bizarre 2 mile stretch heading north uphill from Bradford where it went from no snow to a solid covering including on the passing lane.  It increased going up the slope until the top when it all just stopped and there was nothing all of a sudden.

Its nice that some of the peaks are getting snow and some northern locations, but I wouldn't mind some mid 50s and sun too.  These clouds and 30s/40s every day are getting a bit much.

On PFs comment about radiating in the other thread.  Seems like every night is cloudy or windy/foggy-I radiate OK here normally, but nothing at all recently, seem to wake every morning to 35F cloudy/windy.

49 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Its nice that some of the peaks are getting snow and some northern locations, but I wouldn't mind some mid 50s and sun too.  These clouds and 30s/40s every day are getting a bit much.

On PFs comment about radiating in the other thread.  Seems like every night is cloudy or windy/foggy-I radiate OK here normally, but nothing at all recently, seem to wake every morning to 35F cloudy/windy.

Same here.  Twice in the past week we had highs in the low 40s and temps low-mid 30s by my 9 PM obs time, with forecast lows near 20 or below.  Both times it clouded over during the night and the wind never quit, so temps bottomed out at 25.  (That was the month's coldest - reached 4X - until this AM when it got down around 22.  Lower by tomorrow morning?)

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It's frigid for October 25th.

We are down to 32F and Montpelier has slipped below freezing to 31F.  Both sites were mid-30s at midnight with a slow drop all morning.

I'm seeing a lot of meso-stations above about 1,000ft now in northern VT falling into the upper 20s.  It's 27F at 1,500ft base of the ski resort.  Midday in October!

I walked to the store on an errand (actually oil and spark plug for annual snowthrower maintenance) here in Burlington, and it’s definitely blustery and cold out there.  The BTV NWS office showed a temp of 36 F with winds in the 20 MPH range and it’s been spitting snow and graupel all afternoon.  We are in late October now, so it’s not all that outrageous, but have this weather even down the in the Champlain Valley feels deeper into fall than the date would suggest.

I got to chime in on the cold today.  I'm south of most of you guys.  We had the nanoparticle snow showers like Alex had.  It looked like fog for 10 minutes the particles were so small.  Gave us a sugar dusting of snow.   Temp struggled to climb and only reached  35F at 11am. Since then it has been drifting down even with a few minutes of sun here and there.  Back down to freezing now.

VERY impressive for Oct 25th.  

Curious to see what happens Sat. morning.  Can we score a couple of inches of snow before the changeover?

Ridiculously cold day, IMO.

Hiked up Spruce Peak with the dog at Stowe... temp was 27F on my car in the parking lot with about 1" of snow on the ground.

At the top the thermometer on the warming shelter said 18F and it was blowing sideways.  Blowing and drifting snow the whole way up but snow depths were not deep.  Most of the hike had 3-5" of snowfall, but it was very dense and definitely had some freezing rain crust or something else mixed in.  Durable snow.

Wind chill up top though was definitely single digits.  It was frigid up here.

43597883_10103565031090980_5201613241255

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.26” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

The low that formed off the coast really dropped its heaviest snowfall overnight on Tuesday night to the east in New Hampshire and Maine, but we’ve had various bouts of snowfall here since Wednesday morning.  Temperatures have been a bit too warm for any accumulation down at our elevation, but we’ve finally had some accumulation this evening with that continued northwest flow and falling temperatures.

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.26” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

The low that formed off the coast really dropped its heaviest snowfall overnight on Tuesday night to the east in New Hampshire and Maine, but we’ve had various bouts of snowfall here since Wednesday morning.  Temperatures have been a bit too warm for any accumulation down at our elevation, but we’ve finally had some accumulation this evening with that continued northwest flow and falling temperatures.

I thought you'd have been colder today. Our high was 32.9 early this morning but it's been below freezing most of the day, with 27F now. Not much precip but definitely no issue sticking. 

1 hour ago, alex said:

I thought you'd have been colder today. Our high was 32.9 early this morning but it's been below freezing most of the day, with 27F now. Not much precip but definitely no issue sticking. 

Daylight observations from MPV are a max of 32F and min of 29F.  MVL was 33F and 30F.  Definitely some local variation as BTV was 37F to 35F over the 12 hour stretch.