Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Fall Thread

wxeyeNH

A little dandruff on the hill.

After the midday squall, the snow accumulations were down another 500ft or so to mid-mountain but the warm ground melted that back throughout the afternoon despite the continued -SHSN.

It is funny, you catch the mountain right after a solid squall and see some white way down and then look back an hour or two later and it's retreated back uphill to the upper mountain.  Then the process repeats again when the next squall moves in.

yLOL3TT.jpg

Since about 7:00 P.M. or so, we’ve been getting snow accumulating down here at 500’, so today marks the first accumulating snow of the season.  That’s definitely earlier than average (mean and median = October 26th), but the S.D is 11 days, so we’re still inside that.  The accumulations have only been transient because we’re still in the mid to upper 30s F and it’s not coming down too heavily, but the precipitation seems to be mostly snow at this point.

PF,  nice to see the snow...I had a  graupel shower around 530pm with temp at 44F.  Then cleared up this evening.  Rain showers then moved back in.   Went to moderate snow for 5 minutes or so at 36F with gusty winds to 34mph.

1030pm  with flurries in the air.  

I'm sure a wide area of NNE had the first flakes of the season tonight.

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.33” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.23 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.8

Snow Density: 20.9% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky: Light Snow/Graupel

Snow at the stake: 0.5 inches

Yesterday afternoon we began to get frozen precipitation mixing down to the valley floor in Waterbury, and starting around 7:00 P.M. or so we began to get some transient accumulations.  The precipitation seemed to generally be snow/graupel at that point, so I emptied the 0.10” of liquid that had accumulated in the rain gauge and set it to winter mode to hopefully catch whatever liquid the snow was brining.  We may have had a few rounds of accumulation reaching the 0.1” mark on the boards during the evening, but I documented one of those, and then a more potent accumulation of 0.3” before heading off to bed.

This morning there was 0.7” of additional snow on the boards composed of 0.16” of liquid, and a total of 0.23” of L.E. in the frozen material in the rain gauge.  Accumulation on the warm ground was slightly less, and there was still some light snow/graupel falling post observations time that added another 0.1” of snow.

Amazingly, I haven’t seen any accumulations west of Bolton Flats, even at elevations up to 2,000’, so there’s a dramatic difference around here with respect to accumulations east and west of the spine.

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.33” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 36.3 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: Trace

The bit of additional snow we picked up this morning appears to be it for this event.  This was a fairly typical October snow event for around here, but a bit on the higher side of average for accumulation.  It looks like we might have a couple of additional chances for snow coming up though, one over the weekend and another next week, so perhaps we’ll add to the current monthly total.  We’ve still got some snow on the ground here in the yard, and it will probably stick around for tomorrow morning’s observations with the way the temperature is falling off.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome early winter afternoon...temps in the mid-30s with traces of snow remaining even in town on the leaves, north facing roof-tops, etc.

Today was pretty impressive all-around for the time of year.  Late November style afternoon temps today.

44265581_10103559325330370_5840605762451

Nice PF, pretty stuff.  What did you find for accumulations on the hill with this event?

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

1" at the base and while I couldn't get out to higher els it looked very similar.  I did see a photo of 2" at the stake.  

But very little change with elevation.

Roger that, thanks for the update.  The snows thus far have made for some great views with the foliage.

With that touch of snow on Tuesday night, that’s three October events thus far by my count, and it lloks like there are more chances coming up this weekend and next week:

19OCT18A.jpg

This is likely my only snowfall map for the October 23-24th, 2018 Snowstorm.  Winds could become quite gusty and powerful sometime Wednesday late morning through the afternoon.  Cold as well for the region that gets the snowfall.  This could be a quite common snow pattern this winter as the northern stream gets active throughout the fall months into the winter months favoring the eastern coastlines of Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts getting worse further east as each month passes, the ocean will soon be a non factor in terms of temperature moderation as it has cooled off substantially to the east over the Gulf of Maine into the 13C range, should be below 10C by months end.

October 23-24th, 2018 Snowstorm Map.gif

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Light snow at Stowe, nice cold flakes.  None of this marginal wet stuff.

The precipitation had more graupel in it earlier from what I’ve seen, but indeed it’s transitioned to standard flakes in our area.  We’ve had transient accumulations hitting a tenth of an inch thus far when snow intensity is up, but that’s all I’ve seen to this point.

I checked the radar though, and it’s got that oh-so-familiar scene of moisture heading in from the northwest – pretty classic, and indeed we’re getting into that part of the year now:

21OCT18A.gif

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

I checked the radar though, and it’s got that oh-so-familiar scene of moisture heading in from the northwest – pretty classic, and indeed we’re getting into that part of the year now:

The fact that there are still a few trees with leaves gives it away a bit in terms of how early in the season it is, but today does have that Green Mountain Spine feel.  The scene is typical of these types of October events though, and hopefully it will only become even more frequent as we progress into the season.  Even the BTV NWS forecast discussion is going with the “classic” terminology for today’s northwest flow upslope snowfall:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

142 PM EDT Sun Oct 21 2018

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 1154 AM EDT Sunday...Classic northwest flow aloft has led to upslope precipitation across the northern Adirondacks and the northern half of Vermont. Have updated the forecast from flurries to scattered to numerous snow showers over this area with some locations along the spine of the northern Greens getting a dusting to an inch. Clouds continue to persist in the northwest flow and this is holding down temperatures so have also lowered maximum temperatures today down a few degrees to generally remain in the 30s this afternoon. And with the cold air aloft any precipitation will be in the form of snow.