Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Hurricane Florence

NCSNOW

38 minutes ago, Disco-lemonade said:

I'll tell you, remember hurricane mathew a few years back? I was living in wilminton at the time, only a cat 1 (first hurricane I'd experienced), but when you see long leaf pines bending in ways they shouldnt over someones house, knowing they could snap at any moment will scare the bajeebus outta you. And the noise of it all I'll never forget... Then driving back through lumberton the amount of tree damage was surprising for how far in land they were. Straight line winds can maximize gust potential very quickly.

Then you don't remember the "Super storm of "93"? OMG that wasn't even a cane,, 80's F to snow with-in 10 miles! THAT was a Storm My friend! 

Random thoughts on Florence 5+ days to potential LF:

1) With a few notable exceptions, these hurricanes ALWAYS seem to trend towards a more northward landfall as the storm gets closer to shore. Today the NC/SC border is in the bullseye, but tomorrow morning it might be Wilmington. And then Cape Lookout. And then Hatteras...

2) NHC has a possible cat 4 upon landfall, which is quite a rare event in the Carolinas (only Hazel and Hugo have done this I believe). Perhaps something will come up as it gets closer that could hinder development that we can't see at the moment? Like perhaps a nicely time ERC, or unexpected strong sheer coming up before LF that isn't modeled right now?

3) is this loop idea something we should actually be considering as possible? I recall some models flirted with this idea for Matthew, but we know that didn't happen. Both Diana and Dennis went stationary at one point and did loops, but those are the only two I know of.

4) Dat GFS run had some biblical qpf totals. I don't want to even consider that scenario being a possibility.

7 minutes ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Admittedly, that's a pretty ominous forecast.

The only silver lining I can think of is that it's 5 days out instead of 2...

yeah plenty of time to see this miss to the east......the crappy part is that it probably wont be evident its gonna miss until late in the timeline.....this isnt your typical NC cane hit setup or approach angle though and usually when these type of setup occur they tend to be less wishy washy and come on in....Isabel/Fran etc....both were pretty locked in by 4-5 days out. We knew they were coming and chances of landfall where high. 

Hopefully this thing goes out to sea. I need some advice but my problems are not even close to what Carolina residents have to deal with, but I am still in need of help.

I'm flying into CHS from Philly Wednesday morning to visit my brother, and am supposed to go back Saturday morning. I only go down once a year really and we're supposed to go to an indoor concert in Charleston Friday. Seems like that will get cancelled and I'll get stuck at the airport Saturday. Perhaps I just shouldn't go? I have no experience with this kind of thing at all, and this is only my second time flying.

Just now, hurricane1091 said:

Hopefully this thing goes out to sea. I need some advice but my problems are not even close to what Carolina residents have to deal with, but I am still in need of help.

I'm flying into CHS from Philly Wednesday morning to visit my brother, and am supposed to go back Saturday morning. I only go down once a year really and we're supposed to go to an indoor concert in Charleston Friday. Seems like that will get cancelled and I'll get stuck at the airport Saturday. Perhaps I just shouldn't go? I have no experience with this kind of thing at all, and this is only my second time flying.

Well on the track they are currently calling for Charleston would be totally fine, even more so by Saturday....Philly should be ok as well as the storm will be over NC/VA then if it does indeed come ashore....

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

yeah plenty of time to see this miss to the east......the crappy part is that it probably wont be evident its gonna miss until late in the timeline.....this isnt your typical NC cane hit setup or approach angle though and usually when these type of setup occur they tend to be less wishy washy and come on in....Isabel/Fran etc....both were pretty locked in by 4-5 days out. We knew they were coming and chances of landfall where high. 

I hear you. It's definitely not a typical approach angle, and that has me a bit more concerned than usual.

I'm starting to get real "Fran" vibe when considering the possible impact from this. But then again--that was only 115 at LF. Sheesh. We can't rule out a Hugo intensity at LF at the moment.

The most recent HWRF hurricane model suggests #Florence rapidly intensifies to a major hurricane -- and continues to Category 5 on Tuesday. The track in this model closely matches the official NHC forecast. The maximum intensity could be between Category 3 and 5 along the track

8:25 PM - 8 Sep 2018

Got, what may be, one last beach day in today (I'm in ILM...just north of Snows Cut).  Gotta say, I was really surprised just how warm the ocean is.  85 degrees.  It was almost uncomfortably warm.

I'll decide on Monday what we're going to do.  The thrill-seeker in me wants to experience it (I've been through a few cat 1 and 2's but nothing like what this may become)...but with a family...its certainly not worth risking life...mine or my family.

I'm sure hoping Wilmington doesn't take this one on the chin.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

I hear you. It's definitely not a typical approach angle, and that has me a bit more concerned than usual.

I'm starting to get real "Fran" vibe when considering the possible impact from this. But then again--that was only 115 at LF. Sheesh. We can't rule out a Hugo intensity at LF at the moment.

That's the thing usually the storms coming at us under a strong ridge off NE ( which is admittedly only a few storms) all came on in and the models had good agreement on that 3-5 days out... Flo could still slow and turn up the coast just offshore, how many times have we seen that happen....its dozens. However when you look at the NHC forecast and models they all agree at least Mon-Thur the storm is hauling ass and strong as hell.....if its gonna slow and miss the models are not seeing it yet and I mean how wrong are they going to be with large scale features in this range? I would feel better about it shifting OTS if there was a larger spread in the models ens but if anything the clustering is getting tighter. 

• Thanks 1

People need to remember that she should be a big cat 4 for a few days before landfall. So even if she weakens down to high end 3 at landfall she will still be carrying a big surge especially if she has a big wind field. Lookout down to landfall would see a tremendous surge. Neuse river and the pamlico will be affected as wel.

Gfs back to a landfall and less of a stall. Moves it to around Washington,NC and then pulls it north into Virginia. Still a long storm but not as much rain deep inland.

So we have a 5 day landfall consensus between myrtle beach and hatters which is both unnerving and remarkable. Plenty of time to change though once the full data gets in the modeling.

32 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Gfs back to a landfall and less of a stall. Moves it to around Washington,NC and then pulls it north into Virginia. Still a long storm but not as much rain deep inland.

So we have a 5 day landfall consensus between myrtle beach and hatters which is both unnerving and remarkable. Plenty of time to change though once the full data gets in the modeling.

CMC shows landfall between CHS and MYR but point taken as it is a southern outlier, good consensus for a landfall from C/E SC coast to Hatteras. 

06Z FV3 is worst case landfall location for the south beaches IMO.....it basically comes in Onslow Bay right into Jacksonville, this puts Emerald Isle in the north eyewall and Topsail down to Kure in the south eyewall....basically gives eyewall/inner core conditions to every beach from Cape Lookout to Cape Fear then moves inland to around Wilson maybe putting RDU in the western side if the center...while pounding all of NC east of 95.

fv3p_mslp_wind_eus_20.thumb.png.97280e94ab1961f19631d57ca52b1dd7.png

• Thanks 1

Complete Sunday Morning Florence Package available.   

PDF File of Sunday Morning Package

Key Points:

• After high altitude sampling of the offshore environment ahead and north of the storm yesterday, the ridge to the NE and N of Florence is now trended to be stronger

• Ensembles have shifted SW with some members back into South Carolina

Sunday 09SEP18 7AM Florence Package

Depend on your local NWS office for official information in making all preparation decisions

• Thanks 1

There is still a chance this gets dangerously close to Charleston. Don’t get hung up on the weather weenies here posting each model run as gospel. Charleston is still well within the cone of uncertainty. The models will continue to shift. By Tuesday it should be much clearer as to where this will go and I think you’ll be in a better position to make a call or not to come down to Charleston (I live in downtown CHS btw). If it’s looking like a likely major impact, they will issue evacuation for our area and all of the freeways will be reversed and a **** ton of people go to grocery stores and gas stations at the same time and it will be a little nuts. They would likely make the evacuation call by Wednesday. Went through this with Matthew a few years ago, which wasn’t even that bad of a hurricane. This could be much worse depending on where it lands. Follow official NHC forecasts, not weather weenies, and follow the local news here in chs (twitter is good place to get local news alerts). If it were me, I would definitely continue to plan on coming here as of now, and make the call to come or not on Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, Chucktown81 said:

There is still a chance this gets dangerously close to Charleston. Don’t get hung up on the weather weenies here posting each model run as gospel. Charleston is still well within the cone of uncertainty. The models will continue to shift. By Tuesday it should be much clearer as to where this will go and I think you’ll be in a better position to make a call or not to come down to Charleston (I live in downtown CHS btw). If it’s looking like a likely major impact, they will issue evacuation for our area and all of the freeways will be reversed and a **** ton of people go to grocery stores and gas stations at the same time and it will be a little nuts. They would likely make the evacuation call by Wednesday. Went through this with Matthew a few years ago, which wasn’t even that bad of a hurricane. This could be much worse depending on where it lands. Follow official NHC forecasts, not weather weenies, and follow the local news here in chs (twitter is good place to get local news alerts). If it were me, I would definitely continue to plan on coming here as of now, and make the call to come or not on Tuesday.

I was thinking that this could very likely go to GA/SC border; will have to see what today and tomorrow brings. 

• Like 1