Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Florence

NCSNOW

2 minutes ago, BretWheatley said:

she has really been getting better organized over the next few hours. alot of models have florence strengthening a little before landfall. with recent ir and visible loops i don't see why it couldn't happen

6 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Atlantic Beach pier cam is getting ROCKED!!  Hard to tell but I think it is missing pieces at least on the right side vs what I saw before.  No way that pier stands up to 12+ hours of this pounding.

I don’t think it’s missing any yet but this was a picture I posted earlier comparing yesterday to this morning.  The camera wasn’t moving at all then.  Unlike it being battered all around now.  You could see the end of the pier rocking and swaying with each breaker earlier so yea I don’t think it will last. :(

80FDBD1F-0197-4C09-B4AC-2A085E60CE33.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

And this is the kind of thing that I'm definitely watching out for. Don't have an models or the NHC in front of me at the moment, but wasn't that turn supposed to happen later tonight?

Yes. The bend back supposed to start later.  Magic number is 34.0°N now...also could be everything determining an actual landfall versus a skirt on SE NC

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, timnc910 said:

she has really been getting better organized over the next few hours. alot of models have florence strengthening a little before landfall. with recent ir and visible loops i don't see why it couldn't happen

Yea, the NHC was very clear that this evening she was moving out of a shear environment and over warm waters with favorable conditions to strengthen. Not unheard of for a storm to ramp up a notch just before landfall. I recall Charley doing that just before landfall. Charley jumped from a messy Cat 2 to a very intense organized cat 4 in like three hours - right next to Florida. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

Yea almost took a straight north jump in the last frame or two of the water vapor.  

Yeah nice little north wobble, eye is around 40 miles and its getting stronger and the IR looks much better lets see what she does, I still think there is a chance she powers in around J'ville to Swansboro before heading W then WSW...a few more hrs of this motion and she will be totally north of the NHC landfall plot....

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah nice little north wobble, eye is around 40 miles and its getting stronger and the IR looks much better lets see what she does, I still think there is a chance she powers in around J'ville to Swansboro before heading W then WSW...a few more hrs of this motion and she will be totally north of the NHC landfall plot....

Yeah, that last north move makes me think Cape Lookout rather than Cape Fear. Doubt it will be that pronounced though, but something like you say is certainly on the table. Surf City maybe.