• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Florence

NCSNOW

In Durham, I went out for a ride this morning to see what was going on.  Tons of tree service and utility trucks staging here in parking lots.  I took a few pics from different parking lots (Home Depot on 15-501, Target @ Southpoint, Rise Donuts @ Southpoint, and a Hess gas station @ Southpoint and one on the road).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pySFf4aBDFcAv3S17

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ander420 said:

In Durham, I went out for a ride this morning to see what was going on.  Tons of tree service and utility trucks staging here in parking lots.  I took a few pics from different parking lots (Home Depot on 15-501, Target @ Southpoint, Rise Donuts @ Southpoint, and a Hess gas station @ Southpoint and one on the road).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pySFf4aBDFcAv3S17

Those guys are some unsung hero's. I remember how awesome they were in the aftermath of Fran.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Wow said:

Good news is the models seem to keep her moving west rather than a stall and turn SW.. good news at least for the coast.  More headache for inland though.

GFS and UKMet run it west to east across central/northern SC, but the FV3 and Euro send it more SW and track it down into southern SC.  The latest Euro actually keeps the center offshore of SC until it hits Charleston, then moves it west across southern SC.

IMO, the FV3 and Euro have been the better performing models in terms of being the trend setters.

In terms of coastal storm surge and beach erosion, I would put Topsail Beach up thru Sneads Ferry in the crosshair for max damage....bad up thru Emerald Isle as well

hsAaRUj.gif

Thanks Stephen.  The wind gusts tend to come in gales or at least with Fran they did.  The intervals were not consistent that I recall but the winds tended to well up and get louder as the gale got closer.  You would hear crashing or tree limbs snapping.  The gale was then upon you for a minute or so.  Then it would die down again while you waited for the next one.  Like some twisted chinese water torture you just hoped the next one that came was not stronger and put a tree on your home.  This went on for agonizing hours.  Night time was the worst

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Looks to my untrained eye that if it continues on the track it's on (looks like almost NNW) that it would make landfall around Beaufort, NC.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

you can see the slowdown and slow drift westward here

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=MHX&product=N0Z&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Looks to my untrained eye that if it continues on the track it's on (looks like almost NNW) that it would make landfall around Beaufort, NC.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

Yeah, now is the time that it should begin to veer off more to the WNW, then West....but the trend has definitely been for it tracking a little north of the Euro and TVCN guidance...the GFS has done pretty well actually in the short term, but it veers it off to the west as well

1 minute ago, superjames1992 said:

The 11 AM advisory has Florence down to 105 MPH maximum sustained winds, though the pressure also dropped slightly.

She still has the gulfstream over the next 6-12 hours per the 11am disco and some models showed her strengthening during that crossing. This is also VERY interesting part of the disco to me.

The subtropical ridge to
the northeast and east of Florence is now well-established between
Bermuda and the U.S. mid-Atlantic region and extends westward into
Virginia and the central Appalachians. This large-scale feature is
expected to keep the hurricane moving northwestward today, followed
by a turn toward the west at a much slower speed on Friday 
  • Like 1